How To: Remove the Front Door Panels

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Member travm's Avatar travm is just warmin' up!

How To: Remove the Front Door Panels

The other day I found abit of time to finally replace my faulty stock speakers (only one was out of action, but I consider them all faulty from factory).
    I have a 2005 Magnum SE, black interior. Anyway, clearly the first step is to get those door panels off, I am only going to go over the drivers door in detail as the passenger door is the same idea, even has fewer wiring connectors to remove.

Here is our subject, shiny huh.

And here is the affected area. There are several screws around the bottom that are very obvious. we can remove them first.
    There are also two somewhat hidden. They are highlighted below.

The lower one is behind the handle
    They are both covered by small trim clips/covers. They are removed by insterting a small flat screwdriver into the slot above the clip and prying gently towards the centre of the clip. They should just slide open. They do not come off, but simply hinge out of the way and remain attached on one end.

Once all the screws are out there is another type of clip in the door, these are on the upper (visible) edges of the door panel. One towards the hinges, and two towards the latch. An example of these clips is shown below.

The clip is visible at the top of the beige section. There is another one above it (black) that does not need to be removed.
    How to get these suckers out - if this isn't the first article about this you've read , you probably already know. It is quite simple. Push gently on the small circle in the centre of the clip, it pops in (be careful not to push it right through), and the clip is then "loose". It may still seem to be firmly in place, but if it has been clearly depressed it is good. a firm pull on the door panel once you have popped them all will pop them free. Try not to bend the panel just pull from as close to the clips as you can and they will pop out.
    Once those clips are free there are still 3 more clips to get. These ones are the most fun, they are behind the door panel. I got mine out bu pulling on the door handle (not the latch handle) slightly up, while putting my other hand on the top of the door panel and on the left. Then while pulling up on a slight angle (careful not to bend the panel) on the handle I pulled quite firmly out on the top and the first 1 or 2 clips popped out, then the last clip comes out quite easily. Now that you have it "free" you must disconnect the clip on the latch, and unplug the wiring connectors from the locks/window/mirror controls. The clip on the latch is the trickiest, but still simple. Push on the plastic peice attached to the linkage, push it towards the outside of the car and it will rotate easily around. The linkage then just pulls very easily apart. (Im sorry I have no pictures of this but its kind of cramped and I flew through it so fast without thinking that I didnt feel the need to take pictures). The wiring connectors come off by gently depressing a button on one side and pulling them out. very easy. Anyway with this done you should be looking at this.

Note the 3 white clips at the top, we will come back to them, Some people have said that their clips came out with the door panel, if thats the case, lucky you. If not, just take note. we will revisit them later.

But now, clearly that speaker looks like ****.
    how about.....

The adapter plate has 4 screws in it, all easily visible and accessible, it was also sealed with something.
    My mag had 6 1/2's in the doors, and it seems to be hit or miss whether you have 6 1/2s or 6x9's in the doors, I can't find any consistant answer as to who got what, I even bought 6x9's from a store where the salesman looked it up in a book and told me I had 6x9's in the door. Needless to say I was pissed, so I got these speakers cheap, and kept the 6x9's for the back.

You will need a torx screwdriver or something like that to remove the speaker as the stockers (at least mine and a few others) are held into the bracket with torx screws.

That looks better now eh?

Now lets talk Wiring
    I didnt take any pictures of the wiring because it was dark, and quite frankly, they colour coding is subtle and probably wouldnt have been picked up on my cam. The wiring schematic I used was provided by Hemilover with much thanks and has worked out for me so far. But as with all information on the internet, you should verify from a couple sources if possible. Below I am posting his codes verbatim, and then I am going to translate the Base model 4 speaker wiring from two letter abbreviations to actual words, and more accurate representations of the colours.
    Enough talk, here it is
    Base model 4 speaker system:
    right front door = DG/VT is (+) ; DG/YL is (-)
    left front door = GY/VT is (+) ; GY/YL is (-)
    right rear = YL/GY is (+) ; DG/BR is (-)
    left rear = DG/GY is (+) ; DG/TN is (-)

Boston Acoustics 6 speaker system:
    right front door = DG/VT is (+) ; DG/YL is (-)
    left front door = GY/VT is (+) ; GY/YL is (-)
    right dash = DG/VT is (+) ; DG/YL is (-)
    left dash = GY/VT is (+) ; GY/YL is (-)
    right rear = YL/GY is (+) ; DG/BR is (-)
    left rear = DG/GY is (+) ; DG/TN is (-)

Base model 4 Speaker System Translated into words (same as above)
    Right Front Door (pass)
    Green Wire, Purple Strip (+) \ Green Wire, Yellow Strip (-)
    Left Front Dorr (drive)
    Grey Wire, Purple Strip (+) \ Grey Wire, Yellow Strip (-)

I ran into some confusion when I came to the rear speakers, but by slowing down and looking over it carefully I solved it. Because of this I am not translating those wires to prevent my confusion from leaking out. Even though I am positive I installed them correctly I am afraid I would say the wrong thing. So two letter abbreviations is all you get for the rear.

I should also say that there is a company that makes adapters so you do not need to cut your wires. I chose not to do this because I have the correct tools for wiring, and its far cheaper and in my opinion, with my location and considering the shipping, faster to fabricate it myself. Also, are you REALLY going to put the stock speakers back in? I didn't wouldn't think so. But just so you know, that route is available. I dont know who makes it but google is your friend.

So now your new speakers are wired up, screwed in, and its time to put things back together. Remember those 3 clips I told you to think about earlier. They need to all come out, and be re-attached to the door panel.

Removal is not so simple. Do not try to pry them off by getting under them. You need to pry off of the narrow section. trying to pry them off will break the clip that is attached to the steel, which is not cheap. Have a look at this pic to see how I Almost broke one. its about 1/3 broken.

You want to pry, inbetween the two round sections, with something like a cats claw nail puller, door panel remover, or in my case, a friday hammer.

Try your best to pry straight out, they come out after applying considerable force. As I just said, pull them out as straight as possible. These clips would have cost me $5 each if had have broken them, I called the dealership after they pissed me off by not clipping back to the door panel easily and i was just going to bust them all off and vent some rage, but after hearing the $5 per clip I decided to be careful. Found the appropriate tool, and went to work. Once the clips are out they snap back into the door panel very easily and subsequently snap into the door itself. Be sure you have plugged everything back in and that it works before you do this step, or you will have to repeat it

This is what another, unbroken clip looked like

Anyway, Now that you have hooked all your wires back up, placed the white mushroom clips back into the door panel. be sure you have reconnected the door latch release and moved the clip for that back into position (you will look foolish if you dont notice this until the next time you drive you car, as you will have to open your door by putting the window down and using the exterior release).

Once the top clips are in place, you need to put the two piece round clips for the sides in. First the clips must be prepped for insertion by pressing inner section back flush, and then taking it one step further so it is sticking out. Then the clips should pop into the steel holes, once they are in the steel they can be re-engaged by pressing the inner clip back flush. These clips are quite fragile, My car had one half broken, and one was missing when i started, so I would think that they may break easily. I didnt break any more but I could see how you might break them if you weren't careful and didnt have the holes properly aligned.

Now that your an expert you should be able to do the passenger side in half the time

Anyway this is all I've got. Feel free to add or subtract from this as you wish.
    I hope it helps someone.

Last edited by Chutsk10; 07-02-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Title change.

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler! Magmania knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Very nice write up.
    I will add it to my subscribed threads as it may come in handy in the future.
    ~ In Loving Memory of Danny Cox (5.27.92 - 8.7.11) ~

Senior Member JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star!
    Quote: Originally Posted by travm View Post
    The clip on the latch is the trickiest, but still simple. Push on the plastic peice attached to the linkage, push it towards the outside of the car and it will rotate easily around. The linkage then just pulls very easily apart. (Im sorry I have no pictures of this but its kind of cramped and I flew through it so fast without thinking that I didnt feel the need to take pictures).
    Here is the writeup I did ages ago. http://www.custommagnums.com/forums/...l-removal.html

These are the pics that show the linkage clips.

Last edited by JamminWagon; 09-24-2008 at 03:53 PM.
    The Vehicle Formally Known As JamminWagon

Member travm's Avatar travm is just warmin' up!
    thanks, I never thought about how someone might get hung up there just because it was straight forward for me, but I know how important every little detail is. Thanks for the tips n pics.
    2005 Magnum SE - cheap and easy, just how I like it.

05 MAG RT is a Magnum Expert! 05 MAG RT is a Magnum Expert! 05 MAG RT is a Magnum Expert! 05 MAG RT is a Magnum Expert! 05 MAG RT is a Magnum Expert!
    I recently removed my Left front door panel to fix the collapsing window switch and while there I was planning on replacing the front spearkers, and after changing one I realized the front speaker did nothing but handle the bass only, no mid no treble, no voice, nothing, so I ended up putting the new speakers in the back where it really makes a difference.
    How can I fix this permanently? (door)

In your case you have the 6" speakers so that might be different, I had the 6x9 in the front.
    Last edited by 05 MAG RT; 08-17-2008 at 10:54 PM.
    Sold my RT, will get an Acura RDX soon so that I can finally get some traction, ground clearance, and still move fast without getting 13 mpg, bye!

A huge Cavs fan mjgmagnum's Avatar mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious! mjgmagnum is a Magnum Genious!
    Blog Entries
    I had so much trouble doing this my lock mechanism got bent my door wouldnt lock what a headache not to mention all the empty holes from the broken clips, needless to say I still have factory door speakers.

Senior Member JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star! JamminWagon is a Magnum All Star!
    Quote: Originally Posted by 05 MAG RT View Post
    I recently removed my Left front door panel to fix the collapsing window switch and while there I was planning on replacing the front spearkers, and after changing one I realized the front speaker did nothing but handle the bass only, no mid no treble, no voice, nothing, so I ended up putting the new speakers in the back where it really makes a difference.
    How can I fix this permanently? (door)

In your case you have the 6" speakers so that might be different, I had the 6x9 in the front.
    Thats the Boston Acoustic system. The built amp has cross over points, lows doors, midbass on up for the rears
    The Vehicle Formally Known As JamminWagon