Radio Cutting Out Any Ideas??

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Member 05MagnumRT is just warmin' up!

Radio Cutting Out Any Ideas??

I tried searching for 'Radio cutting out' but didn't find any topics that relate to my specific issue so I'm hoping this isn't a repost.

When I shut my car off and the radio stays playing everything seems to work fine. If I let my system play for a little while, eventually the headunit goes into an looping reboot. This has never been an issue until recently and I haven't made any stereo modifications in a couple years.

Specifics:
    • Head Unit: Pioneer-Z2 with Bluetooth and IPod adapter.
    • Kenwood Amp with 2 10" subwoofers
    • Stock amp for mid range by use of adapter.
    Ideas:
    • Still running original battery from when I bought the car almost 5 years ago.
    • I have an 05 RT which allows me to display the car's diagnostics on the cluster and it shows that when the car shuts off, the battery voltage is at about 13.4v. With the radio playing at a normal listening volume the voltage starts to drop slowly. Once it drops to about 12.4v i tried flipping on my interior lights which dropped the voltage to 12.3, that's when my headunit turns off then turns back on and displays "starting GPS navigation" like it normallly does at start up. THen shuts off and restarts again. This will continually happen until I actually start the car so the voltage is than increased by the alternator. Than it's fine while the car is running.
    So basically I'm not seeing any other reason why I should change the battery but maybe this is just a clear indiciation that it will quit some point in the near future and I should replace it now before I go out and try to start my car and it's dead.

What do you guys think?

This really has a damper on going to the Drive-In movie theater since I can't listen to my radio with the car off for more than 15 minutes as long as I leave all other battery drains off like lights and such.

Thanks in advance.
  2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

thanks for the help!
    Necro821 is making a name for themself!Necro821 is making a name for themself!
    Well idk much about stero systems but I do know when ur car is on on drive should be from 13to 14v...how long have u had the stero system? And bad looking wire??? Ground on good??? How old is the battery? Possibly alternator not charging it up properly??? Try wire brushing the connections like ur positive and neagatives ..It might not work but its worth a shot and it'll probly help in some way...ever have any bad working issues? 05 have bad wireing issues..mine does hope it helps somehow
    Diablo tune 91 oct cai- lmi true cai- 85mm bbk power plus ported throttle body- slp loudmouth exhuast- 180 degree thermostat- Taylor 8.2 mm short spark wire- davin sp2 22" rims- billet tech catch can

-Larry
  5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Ok I've finally stumbled upon something. My Pioneer Z2 has a connection status screen that I totally forgot about. It gives you all the statistics about the radio's connections.

With the car on, the Power Voltage is over 12v. But, when I turn off the car and the radio stays on from Accessory, the voltage starts at 12 but drops continuously until about a little less than 9v then it starts rebooting the unit. Obviously I know why now, it's a low voltage problem, could it be that when the car is running the alternator is providing enough juice to keep things running smoothly, but when the car is off, there just isn't enough juice in the battery to keep things running?

I know people have said that changing the battery is a good idea but it's been super cold here in CT and the car has never had a problem starting (knock on wood) so I didn't think it could be the battery. But if what I've explained here points to the battery, I guess I'll bite the bullet and get a new one since it is 5 years old.

What do you all think? I've attached a picture of the Connection Status screen from the Pioneer Z2, this is just prior to it starting it's reboot sequence.

TIA for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radio Cutting Out Any Ideas??-imag2057.jpg
    Member Mikelo320's Avatar Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!
    Batteries are only good up to 5 years. When the car is running the alternator handles all of the electronics including charging the battery. While the car is on and the alternator is working properly, there should be 14v. When the car is off it should show 12-13v. If the battery runs down that quick you should change the battery, it's not able to hold the charge. Best thing to do is check with a volt meter with the car off (checking just the battery) and with the car running (checking the charging system).
    So basically since my battery is >5 years old, it's good either way to replace it. Then I'll see if the problem still exists, chances are it won't. Sorry for bringing up an almost year old post, I know better than starting a new one for the same issue.

Thanks Mikelo320
    You know the strange thing is, even though the instrument cluster reads 12v when the car is off, the radio has such a lower reading.....odd
    Member Mikelo320's Avatar Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!Mikelo320 is a Magnum All Star!
    The in car voltage reader is nice for on the fly but it's always best to double check with an outside volt meter. Manufacture will tell you it's good for upto 5 years but with harsh weather (very hot or cold) it can shorten the life of the battery.
    Ok. I'll get a new battery and post back my results.
    OK finally went to advance auto parts to get a new battery, yes call me a procrastinator, and before I bought a battery they ran a diagnostics check but said there's absolutely nothing wrong with the one I have. A new odd problem started with the radio now, it won't even fully boot up. It just reboots over and over again. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there might be something wrong with the unit. Oh well
    I know this is a really old thread but I've finally fixed the problem!!

Forgive me if who ever is reading this is already aware of this information. With the antenna disconnected the radio will not even turn on. It appears the antenna acts like a ground for the unit. So I ran a new ground wire from an unpainted surface of the chassis and connected it directly to the metal chassis of the stereo, and viola, stereo booted right up and stayed on music was nice and clear. Turned the car on, no alternator whine what so ever! FFS, I wish I tried this years ago.

Went to the drive-in movie theater this past weekend and watched 2 movies only starting the car in between each of the movies, radio never cut out once.

I just hope this will help someone in the future if their radio is giving them issues.
Reply to Thread