Information: V6 Engine Swap

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Programming and wiring GURU nyinstaller's Avatar
    nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious!

Post Information: V6 Engine Swap

Ok guys LEts clear somethings up. THe confussion will be eased and people will be able to point to this thread to find there info,.

first off lets start on a 3.5l with 5 speed trans upgade info.

the following things were needed to even get my car rolling .

since i had a 5 speed trans i did not need to worry about the tcm situation. all i had to do was swop out the actual tcm to the srt one to make it work better with the upgraded internal trans parts.

I did not have to swop out my entire engine harness, what a waist of time that would have been .

All i had to do was add a few wire to the engine harness. everything else was covered.

now the c100 plug, ( the plug attached to the oem strut tower brace in the back pass side of car. the v6 plugs have i think 10 wires the v8 6.1 has 12 and the v8 5.7 has like 14-15 wires,

the ecm harness will plug into the computer then its done . the c100 harness is where you add the wires. from the c100 harness engine side you will add the wires you need then connect them to the two other ecm harnesses as there is three total. YOu do not need to swop out the entire engine bay wire harness, you will be adding hours of work for no reason.

on my motor swop i needed to buy
    drive shaft for srt motor or 5.7 motor they are the same size.
    a transmission mount. as the 3.5 is the only mount that is not interchangable. the 2.7 5.7 and 6.1 i believe use a mount that can be possitioned differently,. thats it that got me rolling. the only reason i purchased a new ecm was because mine was internally damaged,. the number 8 injector driver was no good.,

now for the 2.7 to whatever

it really does not matter what your going to because the engine it self means nothing. the transmission is what is going to give you more issues.

the reason is the 2.7 uses a transmission computer that is within the ecm so instead of the ecm on like my car or the 5 spd lx cars which has 3 plugs most 2.7's and 3.5's with the 4 speed trans have 4 plugs,

this means that you will need to obtain a ttrans wire harness with atleast 12 inches of wire to go into the transmission and you will make your life easier if you can get the two clips that plug into the tcm with atleast 5 inches or so. all of the wires that leave the transmission wire harness go from the trans to the tcm. which needs to be inside the car and away from heat. then the tcm has like 3 or 4 additonal wires that need to be ran to the fcm which is also the fust box in the engine bay. these wire are the can c h/l wires and the ignition run start wire. also on the non 5 speed trans you will also have to purchase a new shifter, shifter bezel, shifter cable, and you will have to solder wire to the shifter scm or shifter control module. there is like 5 or so.

the main reason i tell people not to do the swop on the 2.7;s is becuase of the fact that unless you can get the cda software which i am deperately trying to get you will have some issues with the transmission. you will also not be able to use the manual section of the trans and you will also have to disconnect the three pin harness so you dont accidently press the shifter to the left or right. as if you do the cluster will bug out and you will cause the transmission to act funny. why? becuase the vehicle configuration will not include the manual feature so if you use it you will cause communication issues. there for your best best is to disable it unless you can get it added to your vehicle config via the dealer , but good luck on that one.

Some body please give me this software. You see i am trying to help people out. and i am not doing bad things with it.

again i say the engine type to whatever is not the issue the issues lies into the transmisison if u have a 5 speed trans then you have no isses.
    if you have a 4 speed trans to save time I hardwired the last car i did took me about 3 hours or so but again I dont have that software so that person just did not get the manual fearture but other than that your good,.

NOw on the 2.7 to 3.5 swop the abs system worked without any issues.

On my 3.5 to 6.1 swop mine did not work and it has nothing to do with the wires or anything. it has to do with the vehicle configuration and infact the code i get is u140e Implausable vehicle configuration so hence the need for that software.

i was led to believe from the dealer that buying a srt abs module will solve my isses well they dont know squat. it is even worse. atleast i was able to communicate with my abs module when i had the 3.5 module in the car. with the new srt module i cant even communicate with it . I need the software to enter the abs module and manually initialize the module and i dont have the software I cant stress that enough >people im begging for it. its so damn hush hush but f that give it up,. I am good doer not someone who is going to mess around.

any way the srt module was 450 bucks my cost which they also will not take back , what a joke,

I NEED AN abs module for a 3.5l engine the module i need has 4 mounting screws not three does any one have one sitting around pm me I need it as i will be more able to get that one working then the new srt one.

I dont not have my original module anymore.

well i hope this clears up some confusion and saves people a lot of time and money.

also I am willing to be flown to various locations to help you guys out. as long as you have the required tools to do something like this we can do it together. i will bring my starmobile soldering guns etc., to do what ever is required. i am available on the weekends from friday night to sunday night. in most cases the job can be done over the weekend as far as all the requirements for your specific job are met. like tcm or wire harnesses etc.

well guys have fun. swop that ish out with the economy today it is by far sooo much cheaper to swop it then buy it. I sware to you. plus like another member has spoken if you swop it , its trully your ride you made it what it is. or youuu modded it.

enjoy

feel free to contact me or have me elaborate or update this post im tired maybe i have missed things i am unsure but ill find out i guess from your reactions and or questions.

and also I NEED THAT ABS MODULE FOR A 3.5L V6 can be from a chrysler 300 charger or magnum as long as it has the 4 mounting screws, I donot need the pump it is connected to just the module it self. thanks.
    Last edited by Chutsk10; 03-19-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Title Change

Chrysler/Dodge/jeep Programmer/ Diagnostics via starmobile.
    426 Modern Muscle Stroker Motor
    apache ported heads

Owner: Afterhours Mopar Performance in Sunny South Florida

There is always a brighter side to the dark ones. its just always at first hard to see.

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

"CREEPLIFE...SOOOWOOO" supreme220's Avatar

supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar!
    im trying still no word yet
    Death Before Dishonor...

nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious!
    somehow i knew you were going to be the first poster lol^^^^^

apache ported heads

There is always a brighter side to the dark ones. its just always at first hard to see.

Senior Member uscbigdawg's Avatar uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star!
    Great info there brotha as admittedly I had been saying that a new engine wiring harness was needed. I think that was an OLD conversation you and I had, but nevertheless, I agree that running another couple of wires is better than pulling a new harness.

FWIW, what are the additional wires on the 5.7 for vs. the 6.1?

Too...I don't know how much you "stand on the gas" on your car, but how has your drive shaft and rear diff held up with the bigger power plant?

Thanks,

Rich

Steady As She Goes!!!... So*Cal Magnum's Avatar So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious! So*Cal Magnum is a Magnum Genious!
    there should be a sticky on this!

Eddie's 2008 Dodge Magnum SE
    Orange County - SoCalLx
    'Bagged on Forgiatos!

Quote: Originally Posted by uscbigdawg View Post
    Great info there brotha as admittedly I had been saying that a new engine wiring harness was needed. I think that was an OLD conversation you and I had, but nevertheless, I agree that running another couple of wires is better than pulling a new harness.

FWIW, what are the additional wires on the 5.7 for vs. the 6.1?

Too...I don't know how much you "stand on the gas" on your car, but how has your drive shaft and rear diff held up with the bigger power plant?

Thanks,

Rich
    waht differs in the wires is the fact that the 5.7s have mds the 6.1 dont those are the extra wires. and

as far as the drive shaft goes the shaft was cool, so was the diff. but what i Fkkkeeeddd up was the ruber tention plate I worped the shiiitttt out of it
    \
    the tentions plates are differnt the v8s use an 8 bolt plate and the v6s use a 6 bolt plate. after like 4 months or so the plate went from round to like oval with all the wires sticking out of the hardened rubber. it was amazing i destroyed that thing., lol
    i can take a picture of the plate if i still have it ,m if you would like .

apache ported heads

"CREEPLIFE...SOOOWOOO" supreme220's Avatar

supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar! supreme220 is a Magnum Superstar!
    Quote: Originally Posted by nyinstaller View Post
    somehow i knew you were going to be the first poster lol^^^^^
    cause we are on the same mission...
    Death Before Dishonor...

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    People are just going to have to pay you to show up and help!

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

I wish i still had the rubber torque tention plate that went between the drive shaft and the rear differential man if you guys would have seen this thing You would have flipped out. again it was before i upgraded the rear end. i had the stock rear end on the car and the metal components were fine but the torque plate was destroyed from the power of the new motor .

this plate has 6 holes in it 3 screw go from the plate to the drive shaft 3 screws go from the plate to the differential and man the torque warped this thing like no bodies business. this thing looked somewhat like the head of an arrow it was amazing. plus the fibers were all stickign out and stuff man I just so which i would have posted about it. oh well.

here is a pic of the tcm being hardwired.

here is the c100 v6 plug

here is the c100 plug from the v8 6.1

apache ported heads

where's my airbrush?? GreenKing's Avatar

GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    good info man. ive got an abs module (complete abs assembly, pump and module) from an 06 sxt. if thats what you need, hit me up sometime well work something out

Quote: Originally Posted by Fireman2118 View Post
    People are just going to have to pay you to show up and help!

hey thats fine with me I am the type of person to not only do but teach and well i have no problem sharing my knowledge.

its funny i look like the average person infact im 27 and i still look like a snot nosed kid. so i am generally over looked which hurts and helps my situation. depending on the circumstances.

apache ported heads

nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar! nyrican is a Magnum Superstar!
    I've said I before and I'll say it again this dude should considered a freaking hero!!!

bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious! bighurb is a Magnum Genious!
    i've have seen some his work first hand, changing all the green lights to blue in the inside just amazed me
    R.I.P.

Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Like was said before, this should be made a sticky!

GREAT Work, I am very jealous of you having the time to do it!!!!

I would like to help out with an engine swap!!!! be like the old days!!!!! (but with more wires!)

2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS!

Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Moved to tech section and STICKY'd
    Last edited by Greg095; 01-06-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Wheels // Accessories // Body kits // Suspension // Electronics

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast