How To: Change the Spark Plugs (2.7L V6 Engine)

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

keep calm? IT'S GOT A HEMI! Demon's Avatar

Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious!

How To: Change the Spark Plugs (2.7L V6 Engine)

I've said I've been going to do this and today I finally had the time and weather to get it done.

LIST OF TOOLS:

10 MM Wrench and Socket
    8 MM Socket
    13 MM Wrench
    5/8 Inch Spark Plug Socket
    Various extensions
    Various Screw drivers
    Prybars (optional)
    Rags
    Wire Brush
    Carb Cleaner

And of Course 6 Platinum Spark Plugs
    Intake Gasket set
    Optional PCV valve

TIME: Approx. 2 Hours (at least this is how long I took with discovery and all)

DIFFICULTY: Scale of 1-10 = 6 to 7
    I'm giving this a 7 as it's more involved than just turning a wrench to change a plug (Difficulty 2-3) as you have many parts to remove, lines to pull, and several wiring plugs to disconnect. I don't want to scare anyone but it is not for a novice to attempt.

First things first, pull the intake tubing, filter etc and set them aside. Then remove your 3G firewall cover (you do have a 3G firewall cover don't you?) as it will block the intake as well as the 3 lines you have to remove from the back.

There are 4 bolts (10MM) holding the throttle body on as well as 2 electrical connections. Remove them at this time. On the back of the intake, near the firewall, there is the line that leads to the brake booster. It might take some wiggling but it will come off, next to it is another vacuum line, it came off rather easy. Next is the hard one. It took a little prying to get it out but just work with it. It should have a rubber gasket as well. You will also see on the top of the intake, the vacuum line that leads to the PCV valve, remove it at this time from the intake.

There are 7 bolts on the top of the intake (10MM):

You don't have to pull them all the way out, once loose you can lift them up and give them a turn with your fingers and they will hold themselves in the intake.
    Now on to the side near the power dist. block. There are two nuts here that you need to remove from the rods that hold the side of the intake (10MM). Down at the bottom you will need to loosen the 2 bolts holding the lower part of the rod but not remove them (13MM).

Now there is an electrical connection at the front on the passenger side that needs to be unplugged.

At the rear of the intake there is a clip on the transmission tube, the tube pops loose easily. Now work the intake out carefully, you will have to turn it to the left and tilt it a little to get it past the transmission tube. Take your time and be careful.

Once the intake is out set it aside and grab your rags. Place them over the intake runners in the heads that are now visible. (NOTE: where the red gaskets are visible in the middle) This will prevent anything from falling down into the cylinders, which would be VERY bad. I had some isolation material on mine that was completely rotted and sticky like used gum. I removed it and cleaned the valve cover. Pic before removal.

You can also see the PCV vale on the corner of the passenger side valve cover. Now would be a great time to check and replace if needed.

Now would also be a good time to give the intake and throttle body a little attention. Using your carb cleaner and a wire brush, clean the deposits from both the intake an the throttle body. Set them aside again and lets return to the plugs.

There are 2 bolts (8MM) that hold each coil on top of each plug. Working one at a time, remove the coil and then the plug. It's deep down in there so you will need an extension.

Remember to not over tighten the plug or the coil retaining bolts. Repeat this 5 more times.
    Once done remember to change out your intake gaskets to get a proper seal. Install everything in the reverse order, take care to put the large metal tube in BEFORE bolting the intake down, this will make it a LOT easier. It's the one you had to pry out of the back of the intake, mine bent on removal and was a PAIN to get back in but it is in. It was easier than I hoped for and took less time than expected. Results may vary on time.

My plugs were showing a bit of wear and some carbon build up but I think they would have been fine for at least 20k more miles. I have 91k on the motor.

After thought: After the plugs and cleaning TB and intake, throttle response is crisper and acceleration is better. Car seems to be running better over all and I wasn't as frustrated as I have been on some cars I've done. (Ex Wifes 85 Camaro is one that comes to mind, multiple extensions and Ujoints to get to plugs)
    Hope this helps fellow 2.7 V6 guys...

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Very nice! I'm going to add this to the ***The Ultimate CM.com How To:***

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious! Demon is a Magnum Genious!
    TY, did my best to try to get everything in there but I noticed, after I got everything back together, that my phone didn't save all the pictures or I would have shots of the lines on the back of the intake, close up of the PCV and the coil itself.

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    I added the link to your thread. You can still edit it if you need to.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar!
    Thanks man for the write up. I'm about to do this on mine. I'm actually past due but I'm still waiting to get everything back from the painter. I've got an extra intake and valve covers being painted right now. Can't wait to get it all back.

Welcome, can't wait to see what you got going on with the paint

Member tbhmagnum's Avatar tbhmagnum is a Magnum Expert! tbhmagnum is a Magnum Expert! tbhmagnum is a Magnum Expert! tbhmagnum is a Magnum Expert! tbhmagnum is a Magnum Expert!
    Thanks for sharing with the 2.7 guys demon!
    06 300c hemi

- eibach sportline kit - gloss black roof - srt8 lip spoiler - 22'' boss 329 - airraid intake -
    - tinted tails & fogs - demoulded - interior leds - hide away plate -

R.I.P 06 magnum

igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar!
    Quote: Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Welcome, can't wait to see what you got going on with the paint
    My neither....lol I played he!! hunting down a set of valve covers but finally got lucky. You wouldn't believe what they cost from the dealer!!

Member Trogan's Avatar Trogan is gettin' serious now! Trogan is gettin' serious now!
    thanks for the right up. now i can come back to this thread when im ready to do mines.

bigvls is just warmin' up!
    Nice work, on the to do list.....
    2008 SE, YEAH I KNOW

Glad I could help. Have read the shop manual type of plug changing and it only prepares and doesn't really let you know what your in for. I expect that if I had to do it over I could do it in an hour. Wish someone made an aftermarket intake that resembled the hemi intake. I would buy one in a heart beat just to be able to get to the plugs as needed. Not to mention it would look KILLER!

Thanks again for the write up man. I gave up on getting my stuff back from the painter and went ahead and did my plugs today. She runs like a new car again. I did pop a code when I got everything back together but I think it's because I forgot to plug something up. I plugged it up and cleared the code and all seems well now. My valve covers are a little different than yours, I've only got one bolt holding my coils over the plugs. Other than that everything is the same for the most part.

Glad it was a help I read everything I could find and am very technically inclined so it was pretty easy but it always helps to have a walk through and pictures.

Yes it does... I like having a game plan before I dive into it.

Senior Member focused313's Avatar focused313 is just warmin' up!
    thanks for this. I refuse to do this type of work, lol (but I'll wire up a sound system in a minute), but now I can follow along with what I have my uncle do.

Next Up...
    10db blastin bobs, Big Bully CAI, R1 Brakes/Rotors
    I love this forum!!!