Broken Front Facia Repair

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Newbie Mozella is an unknown quantity at this point

Broken Front Facia Repair

When I bought my 2008 Magnum, the Dodge signature cross members in the grill opening were cracked and broken because of a parking lot incident, according to the previous owner.

My first thought was to buy an after market front fascia, but as any 2008 owner knows, we are the red-headed-step-child of the Magnum world. So I decided to repair the existing fascia. I cut out the cross members and laid up some epoxy/composite reinforcement to fill in the holes. A dab of flexible body filler, some sanding, a bit of primer, and the repair was complete. Then I glassed in some epoxy/composite tabs on the inside to secure the grill mesh using tie wraps. I purchased the metal mesh from an on-line site. I did something similar for the lower opening. Then it was off to the paint shop for a complete repaint.

The repair was easy, inexpensive, and I happen to think it looks pretty nice.

Front Quarter Two
  2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member Forward Look's Avatar Forward Look is just warmin' up!
    Quote: Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    The repair was easy, inexpensive, and I happen to think it looks pretty nice.
    Looks great! I have considered the same look myself ever since seeing this old spy shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Front Facia Repair-2008mag1b.jpg
    Senior Member SithLord's Avatar SithLord is a Magnum Expert in Training!SithLord is a Magnum Expert in Training!SithLord is a Magnum Expert in Training!SithLord is a Magnum Expert in Training!
    That's awesome!! Nice work bro! The mag definitely looks good!!

If you only had a How to video!! lol
    ...I showed her my lightsaber....made her feel the power of the force....and introduced her to the Darkside!!!!!
    Newbie Mozella is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote: Originally Posted by SithLord View Post
    That's awesome!! Nice work bro! The mag definitely looks good!!

If you only had a How to video!! lol
    No need for a video, just the ability to read.
    In my case, the grill cross bars were broken. I cut them out flush with the upper intake area using a cut-off wheel on a Dremel Tool leaving four "U" shaped gaps which needed to be filled. I cut some pieces of light cardboard (non corrugated) just larger than the holes, wrapped them in cling film (so they won't bond with the epoxy), and taped them in place on the exposed (outside) face of the grill intake. Then I laid up several layers of 1.5oz mat and 6 oz fiberglass cloth on the inside of the grill using a high quality, slow cure, epoxy. Remember to clean and scratch sand the plastic fascia material. I used a spray of "Adhesion Promoter" too. You can get it at your local auto parts store. Remember, mat is measured in oz per square foot and cloth is measured in oz per square yard.

When the epoxy is cured to the "hard cheese" stage, use an Olfa cutter style knife to trim the edges. When the epoxy fully cures the next day, peel off the four pieces of cardboard and fill the resulting void with flexible body filler (a special type of Bondo for use on things like the plastic fascia). Now do normal sanding and cleaning up in preparation for primer and paint. That's it. Pretty simple.

Depending on what you want to do for grill mesh, you'll need to fabricate a mounting method. In my case I used the same combination of light mat, light cloth, and epoxy to make 8 mounting tabs on the inside of the grill opening. I made up some supports out of cardboard and laid up the tabs on the inside of the grill opening. The tabs were about 1.5" wide. Be sure to carefully clean and scratch sand the plastic fascia because this type of plastic is not ideal for bonding with epoxy. Again, a bit of Adhesion Promoter is a good idea.

After cure and some clean-up sanding I drilled a hole in each tab so I could attach some mesh using tie wraps. A bit fiddly you might say, but easy really.
    Member jlcolvin's Avatar jlcolvin is a Magnum All Star!jlcolvin is a Magnum All Star!jlcolvin is a Magnum All Star!jlcolvin is a Magnum All Star!jlcolvin is a Magnum All Star!jlcolvin is a Magnum All Star!
    Looks really good. I am officially tempted to try this myself now
Reply to Thread