Silly Plasti-Dip question...clear coat?

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Newbie Crim's Avatar Crim is an unknown quantity at this point

Silly Plasti-Dip question...clear coat?

So I'm still new to plasti dip, I did my rims last weekend and they turned out AMAZING, but I'm thinking about other applications for plasti dip.

Say I want to do something like pin striping or whatever with the dip. Would throwing a clear coat over it be something that would completely defeat the purpose of that dipped look? Would I even need to put a clear coat over it?

Anybody here ever put a clear coat on plasti dip? Or has anybody used plasti dip as a cheaper-than-paint way to add some graphics to their maggie?

I'm cheap as hell, so I'm not terribly excited about painting my maggie. Unless, of course, I get bubbling under the door trimming that I plan to take off in the next week or two.

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member infamousMufasa's Avatar infamousMufasa is just warmin' up!
    I have never heard of or knew about plasti dip until I joined this forum yesterday... I would like to know a lil more about it

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    http://www.custommagnums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic16508_1.gif
    CUSTOM PAINT, 26INCH GIANNA BLITZ RIMS, UAS AIR RIDE, CUSTOM INTERIOR, UPHOLSTERY, CUSTOM FIBERGLASS DASH DOOR PANELS AND TRUNK LID, CUSTOM FIBERGLASS BOX FOR THREE 15" KICKER CVX SUBWOOFERS HITTING IN THE 140S DB.. MASSIVE AUDIO 5000WATT AMP. TRIPLE LIMO TINT ON THE REAR, SINGLE LIMO IN FRONT AND 35% ON THE WINDSHIELD, HID 55W HEADLIGHTS AND FOGLIGHTS 6K
    THEY CALL ME MUFASA!! PRESIDENT OF INFAMOUS SO CAL CAR CLUB.LOOK US UP

Member KDeezy is an unknown quantity at this point
    You n me both brotha!

Senior Member shane93nc's Avatar shane93nc is a Magnum All Star! shane93nc is a Magnum All Star! shane93nc is a Magnum All Star! shane93nc is a Magnum All Star! shane93nc is a Magnum All Star! shane93nc is a Magnum All Star!
    Just search for plasti dip and you will find lots threads to tell you whatever you need to know.

Senior Member Xevamir's Avatar Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star!
    From what I've heard clear coating doesn't look good and it makes the plasti-dip harder/pain-in-the-butt to peel off.
    Check out my thread on Plasti-dip.

Plasti-Dip Knowledge.

I just did some more reading around, it does seem like it makes it a lot harder to remove the plasti-dip.
    Some people have reported that I starts breaking into little pieces.
    Last edited by Xevamir; 02-22-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Please check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Xevamir

Audio: Pioneer Premier HU | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Kicker L5 Sub | SuperBass Probox | Polk 500.4 Amp | Hifonics 1000.1 Amp.

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Plastidip has come out with some "enhancers" for their product. "Glossifiers" and "metalizers" can be used.
    Here's a link for more information.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti..._Dip_Enhancers

In answer to your question. Don't use clear coat on Plastidip. Use the "Glossifier" for that effect

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to!
    Bill are your rims plasti-dipped or powder coated..they look really good all black..

nm, read they were color matched...
    Last edited by bookeem; 02-22-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: research, lol

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Quote: Originally Posted by bookeem View Post
    Bill are your rims plasti-dipped or powder coated..they look really good all black..

nm, read they were color matched...
    They are Plastidipped. Color matched is my way of saying they're black....lol. I wanted to do the lips in a satin finish rather than gloss and figured Plastidipping them would give me a good chance to see how they'd look.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to! bookeem is the one everyone should be listening to!
    have any close ups?...i wish this plasti dip stuff was around, or should i say discovered , when i painted my first wheels satin, lol, no sanding, prining, painting needed..

im looking to do my vipers satin now...do u think a decal (wheel stripes) will stick to the plasti dip.?

i think im just going to have to experiment if nothing else...

fast way to painting wheels with out masking off the tire, is, just putting a good amount of tire shine on the tire, before painting, it wont stick to the rubber with the rubber greased up from tire shine..

have any close ups?...i wish this plasti dip stuff was around, or should i say discovered , when i painted my first wheels satin, lol, no sanding, prining, painting needed..

im looking to do my vipers satin now...do u think a decal (wheel stripes) will stick to the plasti dip.?

i think im just going to have to experiment if nothing else...

fast way to painting wheels with out masking off the tire, is, just putting a good amount of tire shine on the tire, before painting, it wont stick to the rubber with the rubber greased up from tire shine..
    Here you go

'05 R/T

nice i love the gloss/satin contrast..

did u mask off the tires, or what was your approach to keepin the plasti-dip off the tires..

6 months away and i feel so new to everything again, lol

nice i love the gloss/satin contrast..

did u mask off the tires, or what was your approach to keepin the plasti-dip off the tires..

6 months away and i feel so new to everything again, lol
    I just used 3" x 5" index cards slipped in between the wheel and the tire.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

'05 R/T

Member redsxt's Avatar redsxt is making a name for themself! redsxt is making a name for themself!
    hey KDeezy, its 20 bucks a sprya can at home hardware. home depot up here has never heard of it
    [

Newbie Crim's Avatar Crim is an unknown quantity at this point
    I got my cans from amazon, they all worked just fine for the most part.

Member KDeezy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanx Redsxt

Home hardware it is,

Cheers