Coolant boiling in reservoir and gushing all out ??

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Senior Member Resident037 is making a name for themself!

Coolant boiling in reservoir and gushing all out ??

This is not for my Magnum, but for a 2000 Daewoo Nubira 4 cyl with 94kI just bought for my girl.

The only way to add Collant to this car is through the expansion tank.

So I add the correct amount of 50/50 and after minutes of driving it starts boiling in the expansion tank and it gushes out of the tightly closed cap.

There appears to be no leaks, crack, or holes in the tank or hoses.

I've let my car cool down and filled it back up with Coolant drove it and it happens again and again.

The temperature reads normal when driving the car, just sits at the middle, never higher.

I've read all around and everyone says it could be a bad Thermostat, Broken Water Pump, or a Clogged Radiator.

Everyone also suggests to get it pressure tested.

I just bought this car, and it runs perfect, the fans turn on, and the a/c is ice cold. The previous owner had just gotten the heads done.

How can I make sure the heads aren't blown. What do I look for, and what can prove that the heads and engine is just fine.

I checked my oil and it doesn't look like a milkshake, its dark and normal looking.

When the coolant boils, it gushes all out of the reservoir tank and empties all out. I also noticed very little steam coming from the place where you check your oil.

Did I get ripped off ?
    Or is this an easy fix ?

Thanks alot
    Last edited by Resident037; 09-14-2008 at 10:09 AM.

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

loven the super charged life jayalbertcars's Avatar

jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    hello to be honest this does not sound good do not drive it if the head gasket is good driving it will hurt it when it starts boiling over shut her down place your hands carefully over the rad feel if there are any much colder areas on the rad also make sure that the fans are moveing the air in the right direction there are a few more things to check it is to much to type pm sent

DODGE MAGNUM "THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS "

Senior Member bornagainultimatum's Avatar bornagainultimatum is a Magnum All Star! bornagainultimatum is a Magnum All Star! bornagainultimatum is a Magnum All Star! bornagainultimatum is a Magnum All Star! bornagainultimatum is a Magnum All Star! bornagainultimatum is a Magnum All Star!
    Sounds like it could be a blown or leaking head gasket. Since the cylinder head was just replaced, I'd say this is likely the area that is a problem. If the thermostat is bad, the radiator hose would be hard and inflexible when the car is at operating temps. Check to see if oil or contaminants have mixed with the coolant in the radiator or reservoir. If all do-it-yourself efforts fail (be careful), take it to a reputable radiator shop or dealer.
    JESUS CHRIST is my President!

Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to! Bigal470 is the one everyone should be listening to!
    i would run a compression test on all your cylinders seems like you might have leak between a cylinder and a coolant passagway

jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    hello a good tech will have a chemical test kit to test for exhaust gases in the coolant when if it turns blue the head is coming off you could also check with a 4 gas analyzer any hydro carbons over 10 % over the rad fill hole and the head is coming off as i said before i don't have a good feeling about this

hello it is also very possible that the impeller has broken off the water pump i have seen this many times mostly on ford 3.0 engines i sent a pm to have them call me so i could ask some questions and see if we can diagnose this

where's my airbrush?? GreenKing's Avatar

GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    all the above are possible solutions, at the very top of the list I would say it head gaskets/warped or cracked heads. A note of caution for you, as it seems like you may still be running it even a little bit, the pressure you see coming into the overflow tank has to be relieved. no way around it, it has to. It will do that by finding the point of least resistance. Often times that can be something like the tanks on the radiator. Expensive to replace, and a pain. I would recommend NOT running it till you have it figured out for sure, or if you have to run it (in and out of shop or what not, not around town) loosen the cap on the overflow to give it an easy escape without breaking anything

I am going to check and change the thermostat today.... I will update

How can I rule out the heads ?
    My oil hasn't mixed with the coolant, and coolant hasn't mixed in the oil.
    The engine runs perfect.
    There is no white smoke coming from the exhuast.
    No water in the exhuast.

How else can I rule out the heads, I want to make sure.

Thanks

hello it is way to much to type call me i can help

From Silver 2 Sexy Bullet gstr6800's Avatar
    gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar! gstr6800 is a Magnum Superstar!
    Check the coolant first....

Make sure you check with the manufacturer on the grade of coolant to use. Dodge is well known for using "boil-proof" coolant. The "over the counter" brands may not suffice. Check with Dodge first to find out about the recommended fluid.

Bagged, 24s, 426ci, 2k HP Drivetrain and Axles, Blueprinted Stage2 Tranny, Ported/Chromed Intake, Chrome Bay Kit, Magnaflows, Kooks Headers, Lambos, and 152db Train Horn. Can you Hemi now? Good.

Sorry Jay, I'll call you tomarrow.
    I'm sure its too late now, I just got home at 11pm

Today I removed the thermostat, and put put it back together without the thermostat to see if that was the problem, but still the same exact thing.

My radiator does not have anywhere to apply coolant to, you can only apply it to the expansion tank.
    The correct coolant is the 50/50.
    I drained it and added the 50/50.

I did realize that the CAP in the expansion tank is broken.
    Its a Pressure Cap and the little spring thing is sideways and broken.

That might be the problem.
    I will replace the cap tomarrow and try the same thing again.

This is the problem, I drive the car 10-15 minutes with the fans on and blowing the right direction, and everything is fine and smooth, the Temperature meter never passes the halfway mark.

But once I shut down the car, the coolant starts boiling and steaming in the expansion tank and it gushes all out of the tightly closed cap.

Now that I realized that the caps pressure thing is broken, hopefully that was the problem, but I'm skeptical it is......

Thanks and I will update.

Quote: Originally Posted by gstr6800 View Post
    Check the coolant first....

Make sure you check with the manufacturer on the grade of coolant to use. Dodge is well known for using "boil-proof" coolant. The "over the counter" brands may not suffice. Check with Dodge first to find out about the recommended fluid.
    hello great advice i allways replace with what the dealer recommends and i advise evryone to do the same if you are stuck and must use aftermarket antifreeze you can use the gold it will mix with a fectory coolant a quick example bmw uses a purple colored coolant it is so slick that if you drop something in it you have to work at getting it out they want there systems well lubed vws have a lot of plastic parts in there engines and cooling systems they use a pink colored coolant that does not eat pastic

Today I found a working Coolant CAP and now it doesn't all gush out.
    I still hear and see it steam and boil in there a little, alot less than before.
    But now it doesn't gush all out like before.

I didn't get to drive to far today so I will test it better tomarrow.
    Hopefully its working right, hopefully.

Member Droptopfiveo's Avatar Droptopfiveo is a Magnum Expert in Training! Droptopfiveo is a Magnum Expert in Training! Droptopfiveo is a Magnum Expert in Training!
    Does anyone know what came of this I'm having the exact same issues.

Rear Wiper Delete
    Flowmaster 40's
    Eibach Springs
    K&N CAI
    Custom Radio Bezel with Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap
    Custom Stereo With Subs
    Headrest Monitors
    Future Plans (Supercharger)