HELP; Tee's dash light, LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHT IS ON!

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!

HELP; Tee's dash light, LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHT IS ON!

Tee, just called me from work and said as she left for home, all of a sudden her car is loosing power and a lightning bolt light came on in the dash panel. We DO NOT have an owners manual for the SXT with the 3.5L. Looked in my SRT book and see no lightning bolt! ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MIGHT BE SAYING! HELP! HELP! HELP!
    THANKS, Jim

My Cars:
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Have her use the key trick to pull the code. Mine came on once and it was cuz something under the hood got wet (don't pressure wash your engine!) Went away after a little bit as the car dried out.

Wheels // Accessories // Body kits // Suspension // Electronics

Member wagnon22s's Avatar wagnon22s is making a name for themself! wagnon22s is making a name for themself!
    mine came on once, i have an RT and when i looked in the manual, i think it said suttin bout throttle? cant remember but when i get a chance, i'll go n get my manual

Member wagnon22s's Avatar wagnon22s is making a name for themself! wagnon22s is making a name for themself!
    ok i found it....Electronic Throttle Control (etc) Light....

this light informs you of a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control system. if a problem is detected the ligt will come on while the engine is running. cycle the ingnition key when the vehicle has completely stopped and the gear selector is placed in the PARK position. the light should turn off. if the light remains lit with the engine running your vehicle will usually be drivable, however, see your dealer for service as soon as possible. if the light is flashing when the engine is running, immediate service is required and you may experience reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine stall and your vehicle may require towing. the light will come on when the ignition is first turned on and remain on briefly as a bulb check. if the light does not come on during starting, have the system checked by an authorized dealer....

Hope this helps

Senior Member TheFOSS is a Magnum All Star! TheFOSS is a Magnum All Star! TheFOSS is a Magnum All Star! TheFOSS is a Magnum All Star! TheFOSS is a Magnum All Star! TheFOSS is a Magnum All Star! TheFOSS is a Magnum All Star! TheFOSS is a Magnum All Star!
    WOW.. good looking out Wagnon22s

Quote: Originally Posted by TheFOSS View Post
    WOW.. good looking out Wagnon22s
    thank you thank you...lol....thats wha happens when u aint got jack to do at work!!!

NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Thanks a MILLION YOU GUYS!!! But I didn't have your answers yet and Tee was lucky enough to make it home. She did, however pull over and checked the gas cap and looked under the hood to see if she could see anything wrong, came on home and kept an eye on ALL the gauges all the way home; 8.4 miles. Well, by far, I'm no Mechanic but I'm no DUMMY either. When I went out and opened the hood I looked right by the air intake and sure enough.... I SPOTTED THE GROUND STRAP WAS BROKEN! So I got another eyelet and crimped the ground strap and mounted it back on. We reset with the key two or three times and LOW AND BEHOLD, it started right back up and sounds GOOD AS NEW! Geeze, how LUCKY was that??? Now, no lightning Bolt Light!!!!
    Tee and I want to thank all of you for the quick responses, anyhow! That's Whuts UP..... Our family coming to the rescue!

My Cars:

Jim

Quote: Originally Posted by NOTPAID4MSRT8 View Post
    Thanks a MILLION YOU GUYS!!! But I didn't have your answers yet and Tee was lucky enough to make it home. She did, however pull over and checked the gas cap and looked under the hood to see if she could see anything wrong, came on home and kept an eye on ALL the gauges all the way home; 8.4 miles. Well, by far, I'm no Mechanic but I'm no DUMMY either. When I went out and opened the hood I looked right by the air intake and sure enough.... I SPOTTED THE GROUND STRAP WAS BROKEN! So I got another eyelet and crimped the ground strap and mounted it back on. We reset with the key two or three times and LOW AND BEHOLD, it started right back up and sounds GOOD AS NEW! Geeze, how LUCKY was that??? Now, no lightning Bolt Light!!!!
    Tee and I want to thank all of you for the quick responses, anyhow! That's Whuts UP..... Our family coming to the rescue!
    lol here we come to save the day!!! haha glad u figured it out bud!!!

Well.... you ain't gonna believe this.... yesterday the 16th went back out after we got home from my operation at the VA AND.... the SXT wouldn't start AGAIN! Checked and the lightning bolt LIGHT was back ON! So here I go again....... checked under the hood to see if I could find anything; remembered the guy we bought it from said (and gave us the receipts), that he took to our local DODGE dealer and had EVERYTHING checked out; cost a good bit too! ANYHOW... I got to looking and noticed that many of the connectors on the wiring harnesses under the hood, were NOT locked in place with the little red tabs, so I wiggled each one and locked them back down! Reset by turning key off and on a few times and LOW AND BEHOLD... the red lightning bolt light went back off and the car started right back up and running GREAT!
    I'm only submitting these comments in case someone else may have similar problems and maybe this will cure their problem too!
    Hope this information will be helpful/useful to someone!
    Jim
    Last edited by NOTPAID4; 10-17-2008 at 07:18 AM.

My Cars:

Jim

loven the super charged life jayalbertcars's Avatar

jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    hello problem is with the drive by wire system how many miles on her ride call me

DODGE MAGNUM "THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS "

loven the super charged life jayalbertcars's Avatar

jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    hello sorry i just saw the date on this thead i can not belive that the connectors were loose thats wild i have found that the dealers hire every one that walks thru the door than they sort of weed thru them to see who might stay it sounds like the "tech" that you got was more like a hack

DODGE MAGNUM "THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS "

Newbie JoshLX is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote: Originally Posted by NOTPAID4MSRT8 View Post
    Anyone know exactly where this ground strap is supposed to be? I am having the same problem .. went out to my car this morning and it wont start. It trys to turn over but nothing happens... i get the "red lightning bolt" and the check engine light coming on.
    I tried looking around for the ground strap but maybe it completely fell off.

OLD THREAD.... but I can remember that the ground strap that broke was right by the radiator resevoir and don't forget to check the connections on the wiring harness too and make sure they are clipped in tight. There is also another one on the passenger side of the engine, right by the middle of the block; check this one too! Since this thread is so OLD..... we had found out that THIS CAR was a Louisanna Flood CAR.... It ended up having many more problems and took it to quite a few places to get it fixed all with only 19,000 miles on it. After ONE year we finally found someone that could fix ours.... had to change out the whole front fuse box, repair the rear fuse box and have several modules up in the dash changed. (This is the reason we got Tee her Second Magnum ~ the 05 R/T), however it IS now running fantastic and has a little over 26,000 miles. Sure glad we did NOT give up on it. YUP we named this ONE the "DEMON" ~ LOL

My Cars:

Jim

Newbie JoshLX is an unknown quantity at this point
    I ended up trying to change the Cam Position Sensor, figured its 20 bucks worth a shot.. that was not it. I screwed around with the wires and all that for awhile but decided to give up and take it in.. its been pretty cold here and i was sick of working on it in my driveway. Here comes the long story :P ... I had it towed to a regular shop because they said they had the same type of computer system the dealer had to diagnose the electrical problem.. after having it for two days they called and said they couldn't find the problem. So i decided not to mess around anymore and had it towed to the dealer. I was pretty scared to get the phone call from them because i just knew it was going to cost me a ton of money, my 05 RT magnum has 68k on it and i thought i as out of my factory warranty.. but when the service guy called he said that it was covered and that i actually had an extended warranty that will kick in after the factory one LOL.... i totally forgot that i even bought an extended warrant...so it only ended up costing me a decutable of $100!!! sweet..

SO back to the problem ... It ended up being a broken valve spring and receiver. He said that because the valve was broken it was flooding the cylinder with gas and it was also not getting any compression and that the loss of compression was causing the electronic throttle system to over compensate and do quote "weird things" Also he told me that gas had gotten in with the oil and that the oil actually smelled more like gas than oil.

This is pretty crazy to me because i felt that the car was running just fine before this happened. Only thing i could say is that the car didnt seem to have quite as much idle speed and that when sitting at idle or park it ran just a tiny tiny bit rough.

I hope this can help someone else down the line...
    2005 MAGNUM RT

Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    VERY GOOD NEWS!!! aren't extended warranties GREAT, especially surprise ones!!

2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast