Oil light at idle when warm 2.7l

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Newbie toproc is an unknown quantity at this point

Oil light at idle when warm 2.7l

I purchased a 2005 dodge magnum with an engine knock recently had the engine 2.7l completely rebuilt with 90k on it. After having the engine replaced the car had the oil light come on when warm at idle. First noticed after getting off the highway day one after the rebuild. Took back to shop they said it was oil sending unit which we replaced the light still came on. Next we replaced the plug on the sending unit light comes on so replaced the oil with 5w 20 still comes on it has a new oil pump from the rebuild so I dont know whats next cant pass emissions with a light on. Someone said the aftermark autozone sending units can cause this and go buy a dealer unit this I have not done yet just looking for a good next step?

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

loven the super charged life jayalbertcars's Avatar

jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    install a oil pressure gauge lets see what it is doing the light comes on at 7 lbs

DODGE MAGNUM "THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS "

Tired Boss, Dog Tired
    Matsuuraman is a Magnum All Star! Matsuuraman is a Magnum All Star! Matsuuraman is a Magnum All Star! Matsuuraman is a Magnum All Star! Matsuuraman is a Magnum All Star! Matsuuraman is a Magnum All Star! Matsuuraman is a Magnum All Star!
    Jay would know, check the pressure and get back.
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
    Borla Exhaust
    BigBully CAI
    BT Catch Can
    Diablo Predator
    Hemi Registry #1224

Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Also, what kind of filter are you using? I did want Jay suggested on one my my cars and found different filters effected the pressure at Idle.....So now I use Mopar Filters when using real oil and the mobil one filter when using mobil one.....The Fram and the Vavloline "Pure One" both caused a pressure drop....

2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS!

Being kept down by the man 4rwheeler's Avatar

4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to! 4rwheeler is the one everyone should be listening to!
    I used to have a car that did that. Jiffy Lube put too thin of a oil. Once it warmed up, the light would come on.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

pressure tested the oil

The oil pressure reads 2-3lbs at idle reving the engine goes to 20lbs. The oil is new 5w30 the oil sending unit new the oil pump are new and engine is rebuilt what's next?

loven the super charged life jayalbertcars's Avatar

jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! jayalbertcars is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    2 lbs is very very bad pm sent

DODGE MAGNUM "THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS "

Ok just got time to mess with the car again. I took the oil pan down the pick up tube had oil sludge chunks in the filter from before the rebuild the engine was heavy with sludge. Im thinking the guy who did the install(who is closed up now) must not of cleaned the valve covers or some other parts as the block was clean at the machine shop. After cleaning the pickup I changed oil and filter and put things back together. Started the car 30 minutes later an oil light. I then pulled the pan nothin in the pickup so asking the local autozone was given seafoam to run in the engine. Ran the engine till it would warm up several times then fresh oil still a light. I dont know what to do! Looking at a hemi swap if i cant get this 2.7 right..

Member sean's Avatar sean is just warmin' up!
    With a rebuilt motor you shouldn't have any sludge problems unless they didn't properly clean the block because the 2.7 was notorious for having oil flow problems anyway so i think whoever rebuilt your motor got over on you,sorry about that.