Code 1004

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Thread: Code 1004

Junior Member JohnD7458 is an unknown quantity at this point

Code 1004

upper plenum ? problem anyone else get this code? is it easy repair, or do I need the dealer?

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious!
    Here iz wut a member wit that DTC typed.....

i just had this checked and repaired at the dealer. the code is really P1004 with the starscan.

It is a short runner valve performance. they replaced the intake manifold plenum. cost $1200....

1004 scan will turn up a "Short Runner Valve Performance" error. Chances are that you can plan on a $1200 intake manifold plenum. So, for those who have not yet encountered this nuisance Code, here is what you can expect when you take it in to the dealership:

- If your dealership has the upload "patch" for this, it will take about 30 mins for them to flash the computer. My 5 star dealer didn't have the patch last Saturday. Service Counter said it would take 6 hours to download into StarScan before they could upload it into my vehicle. I had to bring the vehicle back. If you are lucky enough to have a Dealer upload the "patch", chance are the check engine light will come back on when you get a mile or so away from the dealership.

- The next step in the process is replacement of the intake manifold. Part probably isn't in stock so they will need to order it (about a 2 day deal) and it takes about 3.5 hours to do, according to the Service Counter. Now I haven't gotten the new intake installed yet, but when I do, I hope it fixes the issue because my Magnum is sucking gas!!

TSB 18-003-07 is the Technical Service Bulletin. Apparently, a lot of the 3.5L's are beginning to show problems with the intakes.

Just thought I'd pass the information on to everyone. And byt the way, my key dance shows a 1004....no P in front of it.

Another member that had the same prob typed.....

ERG code P1004 problem solved I recently had my 2007 SXT 3.5L in for the engine light on twice now. It showed code P1004. The dealer upgraded some software to correct the problem and it did not work and I took the car back. Apparently if the software upgrade does not work and you are under warranty they are obligated to install a completely new intake manifold which they did. So far so good.

Hope this helpz!!!!!

where's my airbrush?? GreenKing's Avatar

GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler! GreenKing knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    ^great info jerk!

JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious! JERKDOGG is a Magnum Genious!
    Quote: Originally Posted by GreenKing View Post
    ^great info jerk!
    Thanx GK!!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by JERKDOGG View Post
    Here iz wut a member wit that DTC typed.....

i just had this checked and repaired at the dealer. the code is really P1004 with the starscan.

It is a short runner valve performance. they replaced the intake manifold plenum. cost $1200....

1004 scan will turn up a "Short Runner Valve Performance" error. Chances are that you can plan on a $1200 intake manifold plenum. So, for those who have not yet encountered this nuisance Code, here is what you can expect when you take it in to the dealership:

- If your dealership has the upload "patch" for this, it will take about 30 mins for them to flash the computer. My 5 star dealer didn't have the patch last Saturday. Service Counter said it would take 6 hours to download into StarScan before they could upload it into my vehicle. I had to bring the vehicle back. If you are lucky enough to have a Dealer upload the "patch", chance are the check engine light will come back on when you get a mile or so away from the dealership.

- The next step in the process is replacement of the intake manifold. Part probably isn't in stock so they will need to order it (about a 2 day deal) and it takes about 3.5 hours to do, according to the Service Counter. Now I haven't gotten the new intake installed yet, but when I do, I hope it fixes the issue because my Magnum is sucking gas!!

TSB 18-003-07 is the Technical Service Bulletin. Apparently, a lot of the 3.5L's are beginning to show problems with the intakes.

Just thought I'd pass the information on to everyone. And byt the way, my key dance shows a 1004....no P in front of it.

Another member that had the same prob typed.....

ERG code P1004 problem solved I recently had my 2007 SXT 3.5L in for the engine light on twice now. It showed code P1004. The dealer upgraded some software to correct the problem and it did not work and I took the car back. Apparently if the software upgrade does not work and you are under warranty they are obligated to install a completely new intake manifold which they did. So far so good.

Hope this helpz!!!!!
    Thanks hope it's under warranty if the software doesn't work. Otherwise it's after market time for me.... won't mess with OEM parts if they don't work.

I had a 06 with the 3.5 at the shop last month with that code. I reflashed the PCM and the code came back on the 2nd road test. The TSB is useless on this one.

Here is how I fixed it and you can too. Take the short intake runner solenoid off. It`s the one on the drivers side of the plenum. Wait, I`ll go get a pic for you.

Here it is:

You`ll see a notch in the solenoid and a tab inside the plenum when you remove it. Gently try to move the tab clockwise with you fingers or needle nose pliers. You`ll feel it is stuck. Go ahead and turn it anyway. It will free up. Then go get some Berrymans B12 or similar carburetor cleaner in a spray can and start spraying inside the plenum while turning the valve (tab) back and forth. You`ll notice that it starts moving more free after you work it a little bit.

Now put the solenoid back on and clear the code.

The reason it sticks is because of too much oil saturating the air intake plenum then forming "gunk", for lack of a better term. Want to know how to prevent this? Get a catch can for your car. It will save you time, money and aggravation in the future

Found this on the charger forum.... I'll try this fix 1st
    Last edited by JohnD7458; 01-01-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: update post

Prospector is a Magnum Superstar! Prospector is a Magnum Superstar! Prospector is a Magnum Superstar! Prospector is a Magnum Superstar! Prospector is a Magnum Superstar! Prospector is a Magnum Superstar! Prospector is a Magnum Superstar! Prospector is a Magnum Superstar!
    Good information, John
    PHIL SXT
    Dual Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust System
    K&N Series 63 CAI, Ported Throttle Body
    Big Bully Catch Can, Diablo Predator

Quote: Originally Posted by JohnD7458 View Post
    I had a 06 with the 3.5 at the shop last month with that code. I reflashed the PCM and the code came back on the 2nd road test. The TSB is useless on this one.

Here is how I fixed it and you can too. Take the short intake runner solenoid off. It`s the one on the drivers side of the plenum. Wait, I`ll go get a pic for you.

Here it is:

You`ll see a notch in the solenoid and a tab inside the plenum when you remove it. Gently try to move the tab clockwise with you fingers or needle nose pliers. You`ll feel it is stuck. Go ahead and turn it anyway. It will free up. Then go get some Berrymans B12 or similar carburetor cleaner in a spray can and start spraying inside the plenum while turning the valve (tab) back and forth. You`ll notice that it starts moving more free after you work it a little bit.

Now put the solenoid back on and clear the code.

The reason it sticks is because of too much oil saturating the air intake plenum then forming "gunk", for lack of a better term. Want to know how to prevent this? Get a catch can for your car. It will save you time, money and aggravation in the future

Found this on the charger forum.... I'll try this fix 1st

Ok heres an update had too go to the dealer... 1000 bucks

Junior Member chriscoxrox is an unknown quantity at this point

will it hurt / is it safe

I just had the 1004 code come on. We had a 30 degree temp drop where I live and more coming. Is it safe to drive for a few days before repair with this code? It's gonna be like 15 degrees tonight.

Member 7o2Maggie's Avatar 7o2Maggie is making a name for themself!
    my cel is off..the bulb is not blown be cause when the you have the switch to on not start the light is on..but when i check for codes the 1004 is still coming up..
    Frank

Member arfrce19's Avatar arfrce19 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Ummm Heres a question, I have the code and the Stealership said $836.00 to replace the manifold, Ummmm what is the worst case if I just leave it alone and dont replace it?