Code P0128 again

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member JohnnyBravo's Avatar JohnnyBravo is just warmin' up!

Code P0128 again

Almost a year ago, I had my check engine light come on and I got code 0128. I looked that up and it said the engine temperature was operating below thresh hold. Tonight I got the same code again. I didn't change the thermostat last time, I pulled fuse 11 and the light went off never to return until today.

In both situations the outside temperature was under 30 degrees and there was snow. I didn't let the engine warm up and when I drove off and I didn't get up to speed quickly. Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat or should I just keep driving and not worry about it? I'm thinking it could be more the circumstances other than a defective part.

Thanks for your time
    My magnum at the dragstrip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpn1jwEyQY0

2005 Dodge magnum R/T
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    1998 Ford F150
    1957 Chevy 210 4 door
    1957 Chevy 210 2 door

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member HU$TLER's Avatar HU$TLER is making a name for themself!
    may need to replace i need to do the same. my weather is nice in socal but my thermostat reads cold.
    Dont tote no .22's ..........Magnum cost me 22
    Sat it on 'em 22 ..............Birds go for 22
    Lil mama super thick ......She say she 22
    She seen them 22's........ We in room two 22

SUPERCHARGED V6, yes she flies with four Verticals
    and IPHONE smart start. SDMOPAR!!!!

MOL
    MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar!
    Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
    Almost a year ago, I had my check engine light come on and I got code 0128. I looked that up and it said the engine temperature was operating below thresh hold. Tonight I got the same code again. I didn't change the thermostat last time, I pulled fuse 11 and the light went off never to return until today.

In both situations the outside temperature was under 30 degrees and there was snow. I didn't let the engine warm up and when I drove off and I didn't get up to speed quickly. Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat or should I just keep driving and not worry about it? I'm thinking it could be more the circumstances other than a defective part.

Thanks for your time
    here is the problem right here. when it is that cold out you need to let it warm up a little. just pull the fuse to clear the code. are you running a low temp or stock t-stat?
    RALPH

THE ONLY THING THIS WAGON HAULS IS ASS!

Senior Member Dragon's Avatar Dragon is a Magnum Expert! Dragon is a Magnum Expert! Dragon is a Magnum Expert! Dragon is a Magnum Expert! Dragon is a Magnum Expert!
    Quote: Originally Posted by MOL View Post
    here is the problem right here. when it is that cold out you need to let it warm up a little. just pull the fuse to clear the code. are you running a low temp or stock t-stat?
    Agreed, P0128 means that the T-stat is stuck open, so trying allowing it to warm up for 5-10mins before driving in Temps that cold.... If you're still getting that code, then the T-stat is Faulty and not closing or closing completely thus triggering the code.... To keep from giving yourself other headaches down the road, instead of Pulling Fuse 11, why not just disconnect the battery for a few to allow it to properly reset everything???

Should you still see this Code pop up even after replacing the Stat, then I would start looking at the Coolant Temp Sensor(s) Connections, and the Sensor(s) themselves...

MOL
    MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar! MOL is a Magnum Superstar!
    Quote: Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Agreed, P0128 means that the T-stat is stuck open, so trying allowing it to warm up for 5-10mins before driving in Temps that cold.... If you're still getting that code, then the T-stat is Faulty and not closing or closing completely thus triggering the code.... To keep from giving yourself other headaches down the road, instead of Pulling Fuse 11, why not just disconnect the battery for a few to allow it to properly reset everything???

Should you still see this Code pop up even after replacing the Stat, then I would start looking at the Coolant Temp Sensor(s) Connections, and the Sensor(s) themselves...
    you can still get that code even if the t-stat is working properly. it is caused buy the amount of time it take the engine to warm up in relationship to the amount of distance the car is driven. it could be a faulty t-stat but if it is then you should be getting that code more often then once a year.
    RALPH

THE ONLY THING THIS WAGON HAULS IS ASS!

Senior Member Dragon's Avatar Dragon is a Magnum Expert! Dragon is a Magnum Expert! Dragon is a Magnum Expert! Dragon is a Magnum Expert! Dragon is a Magnum Expert!
    Quote: Originally Posted by MOL View Post
    you can still get that code even if the t-stat is working properly. it is caused buy the amount of time it take the engine to warm up in relationship to the amount of distance the car is driven. it could be a faulty t-stat but if it is then you should be getting that code more often then once a year.
    True, that would be why I was agreeing with your first post....

Member HemiR/T's Avatar HemiR/T is gettin' serious now! HemiR/T is gettin' serious now! HemiR/T is gettin' serious now!
    i agree with MOL, happened to me a couple of times

De Molded-KMC Jacks and Fives-Tinted Tails-Black Housing Headlights-Two Tone Bumper-Toyo Proxes 4-Drilled/Slotted Rotors-CSRT8 Diffuser-AFE CAI-Diablo-Removed Resonators
    Econo Heads-Sidewinder Cam-JBA Headers

Member HU$TLER's Avatar HU$TLER is making a name for themself!
    mines on daily. light went out after fuse 11 then 10 mins driving popped up again!
    Dont tote no .22's ..........Magnum cost me 22
    Sat it on 'em 22 ..............Birds go for 22
    Lil mama super thick ......She say she 22
    She seen them 22's........ We in room two 22

SUPERCHARGED V6, yes she flies with four Verticals
    and IPHONE smart start. SDMOPAR!!!!

Member JCSRT8's Avatar JCSRT8 is a Magnum Expert! JCSRT8 is a Magnum Expert! JCSRT8 is a Magnum Expert! JCSRT8 is a Magnum Expert!
    Happens to me when it gets really cold and it doesnt warm up enough. Let the engine get to 120 degrees before driving and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still running the stock thermostat. From now on I'll let the engine warm up before I drove off. If it only comes on once or twice a year I would think the thermostat is still good.

Thanks for your time and help everyone.

Merry Christmas!

2005 Dodge magnum R/T
    1998 Ford F150
    1957 Chevy 210 4 door
    1957 Chevy 210 2 door

Senior Member 02proxdude's Avatar 02proxdude is a Magnum Expert! 02proxdude is a Magnum Expert! 02proxdude is a Magnum Expert! 02proxdude is a Magnum Expert!
    i have the same problem here in mn, drive around in less than drive till you have at least 180 degrees indicated through EVIC and have the heater off or very low for that time. Mine finally cleared its own code after about a month of the CEL being on at me, and i havent seen a day above 25 out in that entire month. From what i learned the cold air intake dosent help: and being in manual mode overrides the cylinder cutout so its always a V-8 helps get to temp faster. works for me so far

Thanks for th reply!

2005 Dodge magnum R/T
    1998 Ford F150
    1957 Chevy 210 4 door
    1957 Chevy 210 2 door

Gettin'
    ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert! ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert! ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert! ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert! ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert!
    I would say replace it, better be safe then sorry. Make sure you replace it right though! I really screwed up my old camaro replacing mine...

Senior Member 02proxdude's Avatar 02proxdude is a Magnum Expert! 02proxdude is a Magnum Expert! 02proxdude is a Magnum Expert! 02proxdude is a Magnum Expert!
    any news? i have found really just leaving it in 4th on the freeway for till i get temp has made the difference needed to keep the light off, and cyceling the heat. Watching it climb on evic is a good passer time on the back roads before you get into real driving too

I haven't drove my Magnum in over a week. I did drive it right after the code popped up and I reset the computer. The code didn't reappear. I'll wait it out and see if it comes back on.

2005 Dodge magnum R/T
    1998 Ford F150
    1957 Chevy 210 4 door
    1957 Chevy 210 2 door

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast