passenger air bag light keeps coming on and off( anyones knows why)

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Member blackout77's Avatar blackout77 is just warmin' up!

passenger air bag light keeps coming on and off( anyones knows why)

Well I got my manual out and read up on the air bag and it says that if theres something under the seat it could set it off. I checked and theres nothing there.Its driving me nuts.The manual saids that there r 4 sensors on the passenger side seat that controls the air bag. The only thing I can assume is that one of them is going bad.Has anyone had this problem?

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Check for loose connectors and wires. Beyond that, if nothing is on the seat, I would say the sensor/s are going out.

Wheels // Accessories // Body kits // Suspension // Electronics

Member shawnuff's Avatar shawnuff is an unknown quantity at this point
    its going to keep going on and off untill someone sits in the seat.it has sensor incase a child may be sitting in the seat and the airbag doesnt go out and injure the child..you can test to see if the light goes out by turning on the car and sitting in the passenger seat

LX Jetski tower SeadooSandi's Avatar SeadooSandi is making a name for themself!
    There is a tsb for this. My first magnum had the same problem and the dealer fixed it.
    '07 Steel Blue RT with Road and Track package, 20" Foose Nitrous Chrome rims, NC-SXT Custom grill,

Other Rides:
    '01 BMW Z3 convertible
    Watercraft:
    '97 Seadoo GTX
    '05 Crownline 202BR
    Misc toys
    2010 Wildcat 31TS 5th wheel

2.7L and proud of it wtss's Avatar wtss is gettin' serious now! wtss is gettin' serious now! wtss is gettin' serious now!
    Mine does it all the time too but only when I put my elbow on the passenger seat and no one is in it...
    Mod list: Big Bully intake, K&N Exhaust, window tint 18% all around, LED Tails, Vertical grille, show and go license plate front plate, Halo head lights, R/T Rims, De-Mold and De-Badge
    my facebook- www.facebook.com/ca.wtss

Member FCMAGNUM's Avatar FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star!
    I have the same thing with my '06 RT...took it to the dealer and they ran a diagnostic and found 2 sensors bad...requires taking seat out and replacing sensors...dealer asked over $800.00 to fix....ummm, I'll live with the light for now.

Programming and wiring GURU nyinstaller's Avatar
    nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious!
    in most cases that means the seat needs to be recalibrated if you go to the dealer and tell them the seat sensors need to be recalibrated it takes less than 10 minutes but they will charge you for a full hour. the going cost is about 110 dollars.

Now there is a difference when the light goes on does it also turn ont he light on the cluster. If it does and goes away when you put something on it or something along those lines then yes it needs to be recalibrated.

NOw in most cases the sensors do not go bad. just something jults the sensor or something like that while the ignition is on,( when the system is active and monitored)

If the light goes out that almost always means the sensors are good. just need reclaibration.

the way they calibrate the sensors is three steps .

clear out the sensors settings.

place a 60 pound Butt shaped weight on the seat

place a 30 pound weight ontop of the 60 to get a total of 90 pounds thats calibrates the seats and then your off.

the sensors are sensitive so at any time the ignition is one someone kicking the seat or a sudden stop. big pot holes etc can make the seats loose calibration.

Chrysler/Dodge/jeep Programmer/ Diagnostics via starmobile.
    426 Modern Muscle Stroker Motor
    apache ported heads

Owner: Afterhours Mopar Performance in Sunny South Florida

There is always a brighter side to the dark ones. its just always at first hard to see.

Programming and wiring GURU nyinstaller's Avatar
    nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious!
    this is a common thing for them to say becuase they of course are trying to pull more money. there is no diagnostic they can do on the individual sensors. if you go to another dealer and say my seat needs to be calibrated I took it out of the car and now the lights comes on and off at times they will go streight to the process and will almost always solve the issue.

if the sensor was no good the light would always stay on. and they would have to change all 4.

Chrysler/Dodge/jeep Programmer/ Diagnostics via starmobile.
    426 Modern Muscle Stroker Motor
    apache ported heads

Owner: Afterhours Mopar Performance in Sunny South Florida

There is always a brighter side to the dark ones. its just always at first hard to see.

thanks for your help guys. My lights would come on and the bell will ding and in a few seconds all of the lights would go back off. So I guess it needs to be recalibrated like you guys say.Thanks.

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Quote: Originally Posted by nyinstaller View Post
    in most cases that means the seat needs to be recalibrated if you go to the dealer and tell them the seat sensors need to be recalibrated it takes less than 10 minutes but they will charge you for a full hour. the going cost is about 110 dollars.
    Bit of a stinger...........What kind of price can you put on safety!

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

I unplugged the light to the airbag light/rear wiper,and left it unplugged for about three weeks or so and got tired of seeing the light on my cluster on so I plugged it back in and havent had any trouble with the airbag light !

Member shasta7 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Mine's been on for about a year - I just live with it.