OverHeating, problem?

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Senior Member B-Rock's Avatar B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar!

OverHeating, problem?

I was making the long drive back to SF Bay Area from LA yesterday and got stuck going up the GrapeVine in stop go traffic in 103 degree temps all the way up the mountain. I wasn't paying attention and had my A/C going then I noticed about half way up the mountain that my temp gauge was almost at H. I immediately turned A/C off, rolled down windows and turned on the Heat. Went back to norm temp within 5-10 mins. Just wondering if this is normal giving the driving conditions or if it could be an issue with the car. Never got a CEL and never had any problem with A/C on afterwards as long as I was moving at normal speeds. This is the first time making this long 7-8 hour with traffic trip since I put the Frankentake IV in, could it just be the extra heat it's sucking up from the engine bay while sitting still for that long?

05' Mag RT Mods: Eibach Pro System drop, Frankentake IV, Mesh Grill, 20" Gienelle Rims V-5's w/ 275/40/20's,
    Flowmaster Force II SS, Challenger 6.1 motor mounts,
    6000k DDM HID Kit/Highs, Lows, Fogs, Predator!, 180F T-Stat, No ESP mod, JVC NT3HDT

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    It's not uncommon to have temps get high in those conditions. Was there some issue with the cooling system that contributed to the high temps?.........Maybe, maybe not.

There are some things you can/need to do to make sure that your cooling system works as it should.

The long life coolant in our cars has a 5 year/100,000 mile service life .

At 5 years (NOW), you want to do a coolant change. Whether or not you do a flush is dependent on the condition of your cooling system. My '05 R/T didn't require it.

I would change the thermostat also. It doesn't have to be a lower temp. unit, just a new one.....Cheap insurance!

I wouldn't worry about the CAI causing temp. issues. Normal cooling system maintenance (see above) should help.
    Last edited by Fireman2118; 07-06-2010 at 08:43 AM.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    I'm hoping it was just the weather conditions that caused this ~ Probably so!

My Cars:
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious! FloridaRT is a Magnum Genious!
    A combination of the hot weather and the high altitude..................

That's my guess.

Bob
    Bob in Ocala, Florida, Age 74 - Married 53 years, 05' Magnum RT. Superchips tuner, Flowmaster 40's. 402 Motoring rear spoiler, mud flaps, tinted & painted tail lights. Danko shaker hood, 69' Charger grill, front spoiler, rear diffuser.

Programming and wiring GURU nyinstaller's Avatar
    nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious! nyinstaller is a Magnum Genious!
    id listen to fireman. its cheap and easy to do a coolant flush. any repair shop can do it. or done by your self with basic tools.

also Id verify your cooling fans are working as they should. when the ac is on one fan should almost always be on.

if not both.

and yes the thermostat is a good thing to change at cooling flush time. Peace of mind.

and since your car got very hot Id say maybe its time for a trans flush, since the trans cooler is attached to the radiator or very close when the trans heats up so does the engine coolant the stop and go might have been heating up the trans. causeing both affects. so two things to think about.

a trans flush. and coolant flush. coolant flush for sure., especially since you probably never changed it before like most.

Chrysler/Dodge/jeep Programmer/ Diagnostics via starmobile.
    426 Modern Muscle Stroker Motor
    apache ported heads

Owner: Afterhours Mopar Performance in Sunny South Florida

There is always a brighter side to the dark ones. its just always at first hard to see.

Senior Member B-Rock's Avatar B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar! B-Rock is a Magnum Superstar!
    Great point Florida R/T, I think I was at around 3000k feet when it was happening, although I saw it start to rise slowly again at a drive through when I stopped to grab some food and that was around 1k feet but 104 degrees.

Fireman, thanks for the tip, your right I'm at that 5 year mark now. I replaced the T-Stat at the end of last year, so it should be good. Guess I'll need to have the radiator fluid changed soon. Meanwhile, I'll fill it back up to the max fill cold mark with distilled water, til I can get it checked. I'm picking up new brakes this weekend and plan on doing that myself, can use the money I save to get radiator done.
    Last edited by B-Rock; 07-06-2010 at 10:18 AM.

05' Mag RT Mods: Eibach Pro System drop, Frankentake IV, Mesh Grill, 20" Gienelle Rims V-5's w/ 275/40/20's,
    Flowmaster Force II SS, Challenger 6.1 motor mounts,
    6000k DDM HID Kit/Highs, Lows, Fogs, Predator!, 180F T-Stat, No ESP mod, JVC NT3HDT