Another Hemi with a failed valve seat (pics)

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

lae
    Member lae is an unknown quantity at this point

Another Hemi with a failed valve seat (pics)

#4 cylinder. I pulled the head today. 05 Magnum RT 80,000 miles/ Someone has been in this engine before. The head surfaces are all scratched up.ton is installed backwards. The pistons have 03/44 on them. Any clue? .030 over? of some other meaning.. The cylinder may clean up with a hone. I have no idea which route I am going to go. I may just replace the head, the piston (if the cylinder is okay) and fix the damn fans. Seems like they were not working (quick bench test today) to but the temp gauge never went above the halfway point. I will build a stroker with another block and then swap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Hemi with a failed valve seat (pics)-p3050903.jpg   Another Hemi with a failed valve seat (pics)-p3050904.jpg   Another Hemi with a failed valve seat (pics)-p3050907.jpg  

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member EMMJAY's Avatar EMMJAY is just warmin' up!
    Not good man! Good luck with the fix

Senior Member cleary524's Avatar cleary524 is a Magnum All Star! cleary524 is a Magnum All Star! cleary524 is a Magnum All Star! cleary524 is a Magnum All Star! cleary524 is a Magnum All Star! cleary524 is a Magnum All Star! cleary524 is a Magnum All Star!
    That is awful to see. Looks like your going to need new pistons and heads. That's tough! Might be time for a stroker upgrade!
    2005 Magnum RT AWD 344AWHP/358AWTRQ
    FRI Sidewinder Cam, Edelbrock Headers, JBA High Flow Cats, Magnaflow Catback, Tune by Johan, SLP 25% UDP, Jet 180* T-stat, aFe Stg II CAI, 85mm Throttle Body, Catch Can & Freak351 Silver Trans Box. Eibach Pro Line Springs, Billet Tech Interrior, Engine Kit, EGR Block & "M" Emblems, R/T Badges, Custom Magnum R/T Grille.
    Pictures & Vidoes

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Never seen anything like that before. Looks like someone took a ballpeen hammer to that piston.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

lae
    Quote: Originally Posted by Fireman2118 View Post
    Never seen anything like that before. Looks like someone took a ballpeen hammer to that piston.
    On lxforums there are a few that have had the same exact issue and the damage to the pistons and heads look identical.

Member didyoma's Avatar didyoma is a Magnum Expert! didyoma is a Magnum Expert! didyoma is a Magnum Expert! didyoma is a Magnum Expert!
    Wow bro, that's some ugly stuff. Good luck.

Member JamesOttawa's Avatar JamesOttawa is making a name for themself!
    The heads can be fixed (ground and polished) but then you are increasing combustion chamber volume and losing compression ability.
    The piston(s) is(are) toast.
    Looks like the piston has hit one of the valves.
    That usually happens when you have broken valve springs.
    Definitely needs a complete rebuild.
    Last Mod (2014/06): 3gcustomz Engine Bay Covers; Firewall, Coolant/Power-Steering, ABS, Radiator Shroud
    Of course I don't look busy... I did it right the first time!
    Vehicle: 2006 Magnesium R/T
    I'm a philanthropist... I just don't have any money!
    Hemi Registry: #1509 (2011/02)
    The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

lae
    Quote: Originally Posted by JamesOttawa View Post
    The heads can be fixed (ground and polished) but then you are increasing combustion chamber volume and losing compression ability.
    The piston(s) is(are) toast.
    Looks like the piston has hit one of the valves.
    That usually happens when you have broken valve springs.
    Definitely needs a complete rebuild.
    The Seat on the intake valve "fell out". Parts of it are imbedded in the piston and the head. I though about having the head repaired but I can get good used one for $150 and a new one for $300 I will just go that route.

Member benhom's Avatar benhom is just warmin' up!
    longs machine shop, in elkton md
    will redo BOTH heads for $115
    or atleast thats what i have been quoted for different vehicles
    so $300 for 2 used ones...$600 for 2 new ones...or just over $100 for 2?
    id be calling some shops man
    Ahhhh VTEC, all of the lag, none of the turbo....it's like waiting for bad sex

Member JamesOttawa's Avatar JamesOttawa is making a name for themself!
    Quote: Originally Posted by lae View Post
    The Seat on the intake valve "fell out". Parts of it are imbedded in the piston and the head. I though about having the head repaired but I can get good used one for $150 and a new one for $300 I will just go that route.
    Ah... THAT's where that metal cam from.
    Yup... Sounds like some replacement heads would be your best bet.
    Last Mod (2014/06): 3gcustomz Engine Bay Covers; Firewall, Coolant/Power-Steering, ABS, Radiator Shroud
    Of course I don't look busy... I did it right the first time!
    Vehicle: 2006 Magnesium R/T
    I'm a philanthropist... I just don't have any money!
    Hemi Registry: #1509 (2011/02)
    The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

Member him fast's Avatar him fast is an unknown quantity at this point
    Wow! That doesn't look good.

Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    WOW!! that makes me sick..........quite the mess, but fixable...... and looks like you are on the right path....

2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS!

Member The Dodge's Avatar The Dodge is a Magnum All Star! The Dodge is a Magnum All Star! The Dodge is a Magnum All Star! The Dodge is a Magnum All Star! The Dodge is a Magnum All Star! The Dodge is a Magnum All Star!
    Those pictures are almost too painful to look at!!

lae
    I found another passenger side head at a local machine shop for $100. The Piston, connecting rod, rings, gaskets,head bolts, and a catch can are on the way and everything should be here by the 16th.