Oil Pressure Sensor??

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to!

Question Oil Pressure Sensor??

So I took my car to the dealership to have them check my codes for why my engine light was coming on and they said the fault code was for the oil pressure sensor circuit.....

They said it would be $265 to replace. I asked them why would this code appear and what would cause it and he started talking about the type of oil I use.... He said I should use 5w20... and I said well that's what's in there.... Mobile1 5w20 and Mobile1 filter. So they said that they could clear the codes for me and for me to see if it eventually comes back on and if it does then the oil pressure sensor would need to be replaced.

Oh and I just had my oil changed a few weeks ago....

Well, after going home for a minute after leaving the dealership and going back out to run a quick errand... the engine light is back on...

So my question's are:

-- has anybody had a similar problem?
    -- how difficult would it be to replace (I'd much rather purchase the part myself and have my friend do it if possible)??
    -- any idea what would cause this?

and how soon do you think I should take care of this??? .... my MAG has been running as normal.....

Sorry for the lengthy thread and thanks for any help???
    Click banner for the Maryland Magnuts

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Do you know what the code was? I looked in the LX service manual but couldn't find a specific location for the pressure sending unit (5.7 Engine if I remember right), if you've got the code I can try looking it up that way

JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to! JRob007 is the one everyone should be listening to!
    Quote: Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
    Do you know what the code was? I looked in the LX service manual but couldn't find a specific location for the pressure sending unit (5.7 Engine if I remember right), if you've got the code I can try looking it up that way

DTC P0520....

"Modder"-8R
    HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious! HemiLover is a Magnum Genious!
    You said you "just had your oil changed"? Are you sure they used the oil they said that they used? Its not uncommon for oil change places to use the same oil in everything and charge you for synthetic, etc. They busted Jiffy Lube for this once a while back...

Thats why I change my own oil .....

Click my Sig for pics and mod list

Quote: Originally Posted by HemiLover View Post
    You said you "just had your oil changed"? Are you sure they used the oil they said that they used? Its not uncommon for oil change places to use the same oil in everything and charge you for synthetic, etc. They busted Jiffy Lube for this once a while back...

Thats why I change my own oil .....
    Yeah... I saw the special they did on that ..... I went to a lube express that's around the corner from me and yeah .... had them change it.... The CEL came on maybe about a week or 2 after getting it changed.....

So would it be because they used the wrong oil and this is why I'm getting this code?

If so, I'll be going up there tomorrow to question them about it ....

Member magnum05's Avatar magnum05 is gettin' serious now! magnum05 is gettin' serious now! magnum05 is gettin' serious now!
    I don't know if this will help but if you have a DTC P0520 that keeps coming back you most likely have a problem with the oil sending unit it self.
    If you can use the onboard display check and see what the oil pressure reading is. It should be around 40-50 PSI with the engine at 2000 RPM's not at an idle.
    If the oil pressure reading is good you may have a wiring problem or a loose connection at the sending unit. If the reading is not correct I would look to replace the oil pressure unit and check the engine oil pressure while you have the sending unit out.
    I have seen a lot of Chrysler engines with bad sending units after an oil change because the new oil cleans and any particles in the engine moves to the oil sender and restricts it.
    If you need to find the oil sender you can PM me and I can look that up for you on Monday morning.
    Please let me know if you need any more help with this

Quote: Originally Posted by magnum05 View Post
    I don't know if this will help but if you have a DTC P0520 that keeps coming back you most likely have a problem with the oil sending unit it self.
    If you can use the onboard display check and see what the oil pressure reading is. It should be around 40-50 PSI with the engine at 2000 RPM's not at an idle.
    If the oil pressure reading is good you may have a wiring problem or a loose connection at the sending unit. If the reading is not correct I would look to replace the oil pressure unit and check the engine oil pressure while you have the sending unit out.
    I have seen a lot of Chrysler engines with bad sending units after an oil change because the new oil cleans and any particles in the engine moves to the oil sender and restricts it.
    If you need to find the oil sender you can PM me and I can look that up for you on Monday morning.
    Please let me know if you need any more help with this
    Thanks a lot Magnum05! I appreciate the info.... How do I see what the oil pressure reading is? I don't recall seeing it when scrolling through before....

Member Dantra's Avatar Dantra is making a name for themself!
    There are seveal codes that can be diplayed that tie into the entire system. They list like this...P0520 = Engine oil sensor circut, P0521 = Engine oil pressure sensor perfomance problem, P0522 = Oil pressure sensor circut low voltage, P0523 = Oil pressure sensor circut high voltage and worst of all is P0524 = Oil pressure is too low.

So you do have oil pressure and it may just be the sending unit which is located at the filter pad where the filter spins on..."should" be right on the side and easy to get to from the bottom.

The sensor can be found at trademotion.com with this link MoparPartsAmerica Great site for magnum lovers in need of oem parts

Good luck
    Last edited by Dantra; 12-01-2007 at 07:20 PM.

MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! MadDad is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Quote: Originally Posted by JRob007 View Post
    Thanks a lot Magnum05! I appreciate the info.... How do I see what the oil pressure reading is? I don't recall seeing it when scrolling through before....
    Sorry to be so late to the game JRob --had to go to the airport to pickup Mrs.MadDad (yay! She's back!)----- to display the oil pressure you need the EVIC.. To access the "hidden" display hold down both the music note and the compass button on the steering wheel controls for about ten seconds. You'll get a screen on the display that you can scroll through and one of the displayed screens will have the oil pressure on it. Good Luck!

Quote: Originally Posted by Dantra View Post
    There are seveal codes that can be diplayed that tie into the entire system. They list like this...P0520 = Engine oil sensor circut, P0521 = Engine oil pressure sensor perfomance problem, P0522 = Oil pressure sensor circut low voltage, P0523 = Oil pressure sensor circut high voltage and worst of all is P0524 = Oil pressure is too low.

So you do have oil pressure and it may just be the sending unit which is located at the filter pad where the filter spins on..."should" be right on the side and easy to get to from the bottom.

The sensor can be found at trademotion.com with this link MoparPartsAmerica Great site for magnum lovers in need of oem parts

Good luck
    Thanks for the info and the link Dantra!

Quote: Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
    Sorry to be so late to the game JRob --had to go to the airport to pickup Mrs.MadDad (yay! She's back!)----- to display the oil pressure you need the EVIC.. To access the "hidden" display hold down both the music note and the compass button on the steering wheel controls for about ten seconds. You'll get a screen on the display that you can scroll through and one of the displayed screens will have the oil pressure on it. Good Luck!
    Welcome back to Mrs. MadDad! I know you're glad she's back! And glad she got home safe.....

I do have the EVIC... couldn't remember the button combination so I will give that a try to see what my pressure reading is....

Thanks again to everyone for their input! It's why I love this place