Duplicolor Vinyl Paint

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Cro-Mag is gettin' serious now! Cro-Mag is gettin' serious now!

Duplicolor Vinyl Paint

I have a few questions for those who used duplicolor on their vinyl. It actually looks pretty amazing!!!

The can has NO information on it regarding the following...

How long does it take to fully dry?

Can I use armor all on it when its complete?
    Last edited by Cro-Mag; 07-06-2009 at 12:57 PM.

2006 Dodge Magnum SXT : Diablosport Predator 93 OPT: Big Bully CAI: RWD: 3.5L w/ 96mm bore: 4 speed auto trans

"Dude, whadaya got in that thing?... "I got an amp, guitar, surfboard, ladder, 12 2x4s, and the rotting corpse of some pretentious Lotus-driving douche who asked me what I had in this thing.

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

I'M JUST A LOWLIFE... Pappa John's Avatar
    Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star!
    Cro,
    I've used Dupli-color before and if I were you I'd wait at least a couple of days before I put anything on it.... Just to be on the safe side, especially if it turned out nice.

2008 Magnum R/T
    29r package, AAR strobe stripe, custom Pappa John shifter handle...

Quote: Originally Posted by Pappa John View Post
    Cro,
    I've used Dupli-color before and if I were you I'd wait at least a couple of days before I put anything on it.... Just to be on the safe side, especially if it turned out nice.
    Thanks, Pappa John!

I will leave it alone for at least a few days. Will armor all give it a nice shine? Did you use armor all on your duplicolor?

2006 Dodge Magnum SXT : Diablosport Predator 93 OPT: Big Bully CAI: RWD: 3.5L w/ 96mm bore: 4 speed auto trans

"Dude, whadaya got in that thing?... "I got an amp, guitar, surfboard, ladder, 12 2x4s, and the rotting corpse of some pretentious Lotus-driving douche who asked me what I had in this thing.

onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious!
    You should allow the paint to flash for 2 weeks or so before coating it with anything such as wax or other sealant/protectant.

See my gallery here: OneLook's Gallery

DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious! DeadDog is a Magnum Genious!
    I used it a way back on my 69 stang... it works well and can be waxed or armourall'd i did both but like it says above give a few weeks..
    the only problem with it is it will scratch easily... so you will be touching up a lot.. note to self if you touch up make sure you get the protectant you use off before re-spraying...

Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star! Pappa John is a Magnum All Star!
    Armourall works just fine on Duplicolor, it's just that you want the paint to be completely dry and settled before you put anything on it, like Onelook said it needs to "flash" and that means all of the solvents in the paint need to get out as it completely dries.. That's about as simple as I can make it, I know you want to make it shine and protect it, but trust me you're better off if you wait at least till next week.......

2008 Magnum R/T

Thanks!!!

I can't thank you guys enough!

I will post pics as soon as the full interior is reassembled. I used Krylon fusion on the plastic parts and I want to give it a full week before I install them. The can guarantees the plastic to be fully chip resistant after one week; following the proper steps I can't see why not (I actually tried to scrape a piece off with my nail and couldn't).

The black truly makes my dash look old-school and I love it. I am in no hurry to make it shine, so the few weeks will be a cinch.

As far as the scratches go, "hands off my dash!"

I just wanna MOD.. panchov's Avatar panchov is gettin' serious now! panchov is gettin' serious now! panchov is gettin' serious now!
    sounds sweet, cant wait for the finished pics...did you do a lite sanding before the paint and what about clear coat...

Quote: Originally Posted by panchov View Post
    sounds sweet, cant wait for the finished pics...did you do a lite sanding before the paint and what about clear coat...
    I did not sand, but I did use 91% rubbing alcohol, Windex, and soap & water.

I was considering a clear coat. Would a clear coat add to the durability?

HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious! HemiMag is a Magnum Genious!
    I'll be waiting for the pics
    Proud CAMM Member - Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars

Quote: Originally Posted by Cro-Mag View Post
    I did not sand, but I did use 91% rubbing alcohol, Windex, and soap & water.

I was considering a clear coat. Would a clear coat add to the durability?
    Wellllll,
    There are good and bad things about clear coating, first you need to use the same clear coat as the paint you used, and second, YES it will help the durability because it covers the paint and depending on how many coats you use it will really help....
    BUT... the other question you want to ask yourself is... Will it make it TOO shiney???? The REAL problem with clear coating interior parts is that it makes them shiney, and that changes the look of the interior, so ask yourself if you really want a shiney interior or a semi- gloss interior...

2008 Magnum R/T

Quote: Originally Posted by Pappa John View Post
    Wellllll,
    There are good and bad things about clear coating, first you need to use the same clear coat as the paint you used, and second, YES it will help the durability because it covers the paint and depending on how many coats you use it will really help....
    BUT... the other question you want to ask yourself is... Will it make it TOO shiney???? The REAL problem with clear coating interior parts is that it makes them shiney, and that changes the look of the interior, so ask yourself if you really want a shiney interior or a semi- gloss interior...
    Great points.

I was considering a clear coat on the plastic parts, but leaving the vinyl alone. That will give it an appearance of the old school interiors that actually left exposed metal on the interior.

If I choose clear coat, I might have to wait another week for the plastic to cure.

BTW, spoke to a rep at Dupli-Color...he stated that I should wait 30 days before waxing or applying armor all.

NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    That'd be great when you finish it up and reinstall in! Lookin' forward to pictures.

My Cars:
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim