How To: Replace the Hood Struts

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Senior Member uscbigdawg's Avatar uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star!

How To: Replace the Hood Struts

So, got these for Christmas from my lovely wife and at the request of a couple of folks, here's what I did on the install. I apologize that the pics are after the fact.

Step 1: Check your kit from Mopar Supercenter
    - You should have 2 struts and 2 ball studs
    (For simplicity, I only removed 1)

Step 2: Identify the hole in the fender(s) where the ball stud is to go and the stud that's already on the hood (forgive the crappy graphics as I'm just using the junk on Photobucket).

Step 3: Thread the hole for the ball stud.
    - The ball stud is probably self-tapping, but for $15 I got a tap & die kit from Harbor Freight
    - The ball stud is a M8 (more specifically a M8-1.25) so pull out your M8 bit, place it in the T-handle and lock it down
    - You can apply oil to the thread cutter, but I didn't as it was only about a 1/8 thick piece to get through.
    - Keeping the tap vertical, just apply some pressure and turn. You can start the cut with both handles on, but after like 1 rotation, one handle has to come off and you do a crappy dance unlocking and relocking the tap (my power drill wasn't gettin' it as the battery was super low).
    - Repeat twice.

Step 4: Insert Ball Stud
    - I spun the ball stud on just to "marry" the threads and it was perfect. Backed it out and applied some blue Loc-Tite and called it a day. You can break Blue Lock-Tite pretty easy. Red requires heat.

Step 5: Get your two ball studs and attach the strut
    - This is better with two people or if you're tall as in this case, I inserted the strut to the bottom stud, held the hood with my right hand (the hood stand has the hood higher than the struts come), and then popped in the top part of the strut.

Done.

Hope that helps for all the SE/SXT guys that don't have struts.

Rich

ETA: The only tools were the tap & die set and a 12 or 13mm wrench (can't remember).
    Last edited by Chutsk10; 06-26-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Title change.

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Not only the SE/SXT guys, Rich! My loaded R/T/R did not come with them either.....
    Good Write up!

2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS!

Senior Member uscbigdawg's Avatar uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star! uscbigdawg is a Magnum All Star!
    Pics put in correct order.

scotto is gettin' serious now! scotto is gettin' serious now! scotto is gettin' serious now!
    Its a 13 mm, I just did this last month as well. And its also not too hard to hold the hood up with your head, I always get stuck doing 2 man jobs when nobody else is available.

NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Both of my 05 RT's came with them, but both the 06's, the SRT and SXT did NOT! I don't really mind the prop rod, althought for shows I just a "rams head" sword... I like the look of it to prop the hood up!

My Cars:
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

Magworks is a Magnum All Star! Magworks is a Magnum All Star! Magworks is a Magnum All Star! Magworks is a Magnum All Star! Magworks is a Magnum All Star! Magworks is a Magnum All Star!
    Gotta do this...Great write up Rich...Thanks for the info...
    Mark
    2008 Light Sandstone Metallic/ VDI verticle Doors/ Blastin Bobs 14db/ SRT Grille by NC-SXT/Moroso catch can/Mopar ABS cover by 3G/ R1 concepts rotors/ Daytona Chin Spoiler/ custom Strut Brase and many more little mods...

QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! QuickSilver08 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Lookin good! Now you need a PCM cover

PCM Cover Kit - Challenger / Charger / Magnum / 300

Eh...you'd be surprised what you can find in the yards/Craigslist. Too, I'm holding off on that 'til I get my cabin filter done.

Rich

Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Greg095 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Nice writeup. Moved to Tech.

Wheels // Accessories // Body kits // Suspension // Electronics

igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar! igolo is a Magnum Superstar!
    Gotta get me a set of those!!

onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious! onelook is a Magnum Genious!
    Quote: Originally Posted by NOTPAID4MSRT8 View Post
    Both of my 05 RT's came with them, but both the 06's, the SRT and SXT did NOT! I don't really mind the prop rod, althought for shows I just a "rams head" sword... I like the look of it to prop the hood up!
    Eh!? Your SRT didn't come with them!? I thought all SRTs had those?? I guess I just got lucky!

See my gallery here: OneLook's Gallery

Magnified rwalshphoto's Avatar rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious! rwalshphoto is a Magnum Genious!
    Nice write up! Mine were wore out so I bought some a couple weeks back from Mopar Supercenter (LX hood strut kit)...I think they have them on sell for $59 for the pair. I've got extra of those mounting ball-studs if anyone wants them. My car is an 05 so I didnt need them - just replacing the worn struts.
    Starting over with a new Magnum RT... 6.1L with SRT Max Cam, Corsa catback, SRT Suspension, silver Brembos, graphite powder coated Charger SRT wheels, frost white intake manifold and valve cover, matte black engine bay, 300C SRT front end, Black Ops 300-Challenger style carbon fiber hood coming soon. Project "SnoMachine" all work performed by Plum Floored Creations.

For those that need/want this upgrade, take up Ryan on his offer and then you can pick up struts (especially the bad ass stainless ones) from http://www.strutwise.com/

Rich

ETA: I'm pretty sure they don't specifically outline the Magnum hood strut, but do for the 300M. Same thing.

Vadermag is a Magnum Expert! Vadermag is a Magnum Expert! Vadermag is a Magnum Expert! Vadermag is a Magnum Expert! Vadermag is a Magnum Expert!
    Just ordered mine from Mopar Supercenter $52.13.

Newbie Welcho's Avatar Welcho is an unknown quantity at this point
    Just got mine in today, shipped to TX for $64.16 from Mopar Supercenter. ordered on the 7th got here 2 days later at 0900. Installed in 5 mins total. As the Geico commercial says, easy peasy lemon squeezey

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast