Transmission Speed Sensor and Limp Mode Question

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Newbie DanD is just warmin' up!

Transmission Speed Sensor and Limp Mode Question

2006 Magnum R/T Hemi 5.7 with NAG1 tranny

Symptoms:
    1) Limp Mode - couple times a week (fine after restart engine)
    2) Hard shift 1st to 2nd occasionally

"Mr. Transmission" tells me the active codes were for the speed sensors in the tranny
    (although ABS speed sensor codes present, they explained tranny sensors likely confusing ABS sensors)

Recomendation:

Replace entire module in transfer case containing input and output speed sensors

Cost:
    $475 module
    $!80 two hours labour
    $100 tranny fluid and filter

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by DanD; 11-19-2012 at 09:00 PM.

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    If you're getting ABS speed sensor codes, I'd start by replacing those. They're a simple job and a lot cheaper.

What EXACTLY are the codes? You can get them yourself by doing this simple procedure..........

Perform these 5 steps in quick order.

Put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position (don't start car)
    Turn back to the "ACC" position
    Back to the "ON" position
    Back to "ACC"
    back to "ON"

With the key in the "ON" position, look to the odometer. Any stored codes will be displayed there. Write them down. After the last code,
    or if there are no codes, you'll see a series of dashes (----) followed by the word done.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Member ruesmag's Avatar ruesmag is a Magnum Expert in Training! ruesmag is a Magnum Expert in Training! ruesmag is a Magnum Expert in Training! ruesmag is a Magnum Expert in Training!
    i recently replaced that whole transmission conductor plate due to limp mode issues i was dealing with for a few weeks. It was a pain in the arse having to shut down at stop lights and restart the car so it would take off again. I actually found the part on ebay for like a $160 and since i was gonna drop the valve body i installed the blue top solenoids, new filter, gasket and O-ring kit. couldnt be happier. I dont remember the CEL code but it was powertrain speed sensor something or other. That was definately the issue. I did the labor myself in my garage on jack stands but then again i assembled and installed my motor as well in my garage it was fairly easy and i did it in about 4 hours from start to finish.

PB 1/8th mile 8.225@84.33MPH 60ft@1.792
    PB 1/4 mile 12.892@104.37MPH 60ft@1.792
    My build http://www.custommagnums.com/forums/...ver-build.html

Newbie DanD is just warmin' up!
    Thanks Guys

I got the codes from the tranny shop (I didnt get the actual numbers), the key dance shows no codes ------
    Thank for the tips ruesmag. I'm not that adventurous or equipped to do it myself

I'm basically looking for some confirmation before I drop that much $$$$$
    or whatever advice I can get from your experiences with this issue

I found the part ( I believe ) but each place has a slightly different part #
    52108308AB and 52108308AC [links below]

does anyone know if theres a difference or which part number is correct ?

CONNECTOR, CONNECTOR ASSEMBLY. Transmission. Electrical. Fits: CHRYSLER (2005-2013), DODGE (2005-2013), JEEP (2005-2013), . # 52108308AC, 52108308AB
    RockAuto Parts Catalog
    (under Elictrical - Speed Sensor - AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S9573 {#52108308AB, SU11035}

Thanks again