Steering binds when turning

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Newbie Joe S is an unknown quantity at this point

Steering binds when turning

It just started happening - when turning the steering wheel it binds up every half turn. It feels like no power steering for just a few degrees. It is consistently when the wheel is 90 degrees either way and then every half turn from there. Normal highway driving is fine, just at intersections or pulling into/out of driveway. Power steering fluid is full. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Joe
    oh yeah - 2006 Magnum R/T 70,000 miles
    Yes, it has a Hemi!

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member JamesOttawa's Avatar JamesOttawa is gettin' serious now! JamesOttawa is gettin' serious now!
    Well... If the power steering fluid is full (and there is no air in the system)... I would think the next thing to check would be the power steering pump.
    (These things do have a pump... Don't they?)
    Last Mod (2014/09): Petty's Garage Strut Tower Brace
    Of course I don't look busy... I did it right the first time!
    Vehicle: 2006 Magnesium R/T
    I'm a philanthropist... I just don't have any money!
    Hemi Registry: #1509 (2011/02)
    The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    The steering pump may be going out. How's the fluid level? When was the last time you changed it?

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Member FCMAGNUM's Avatar FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star! FCMAGNUM is a Magnum All Star!
    are your turn signals working OK?...I just had to replace the 'clock spring' in the steering column which has a winding mechanism that turns with the wheel and trigger thte off mechanism on the turn signals...one of the tabs broke off inside that mechanism and would bind my steering when that piece got wedged in the right place...just a thought as we play CSI...
    '06 Magnum RT
    Magnesium Pearl
    Eibach Sways, ProKit and ProDampers * StopTech Rotors and SS Lines, Hawk HPS Pads
    BT Catch Can, Shift Knob, Shift Bezel and Door Trim Bezels/Locks * Tinted Tails, Color-matched eyelids, Limo-Tint
    Jet 180 Thermo and Gates 'Blue' Silicone Hoses, K & N CAI, DS Predator Tuned * 20" Challenger Replica Wheels, SportComp II Tire

Gettin'
    ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert! ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert! ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert! ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert! ronald_smail is a Magnum Expert!
    Yea, I would think it'd be the clock spring, luckily I dont think they're too expensive or difficult to replace. But obviously I cant be positive that is the issue. What I would do is stand at the front with the hood open and have someone turn the wheel while you listen for any irregular sounds coming from the engine bay. The only "bad" sounds should happen when the wheel is fully turned left or right because that is when pressure is the highest in the power steering lines and it makes like a groaning noise. If you hear anything loud or outta place, then your problem is likely under the hood, and if you dont, I would check that clock spring.

Newbie Joe S is an unknown quantity at this point
    as far as I know the turn signals work... i'll look into all this over the weekend. thanks!
    Yes, it has a Hemi!

Member Meathammer's Avatar Meathammer is making a name for themself!
    Mine started doing this as well this year. However the more I drive it the better it gets. The power steering pump has been replaced on it 3 times by Chrysler when it was under warranty (that was years ago) and after the third, they stated that they would not longer replace the pump under warranty. This past winter was the first time I've actually stored the car during the winter and attributed this to lack of use since it does go away after more use. The fluid level is full and it looks/smells good as well.
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT (early build - 05/2004)
    Inferno Red (PEL)