Clunking noise in front end

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member s.wood's Avatar s.wood is just warmin' up!

Clunking noise in front end

I have been hearing a clunking noise in the car on the right side going over pot holes and so fourth,now i hear it on both sides..the clunk is annoyin..i took it to a front end shop and he said everything was tight..im reading other posts and people are saying sway bar bushings..which seems to be the cheaper way, and others are saying definitely tension struts..my question to that is "what are tension struts"? is it the struts itself..

thanks
    YOUNG FOREVER
    "LIFE IS FOR LIVING ,NOT LIVING UPTIGHT"

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

252.646.2160 Grille Master NC-SXT's Avatar NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar! NC-SXT is a Magnum Superstar!
    Tension struts go from the knuckle to the front of the frame. hard to miss

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    I'd check the sway bar bushings and replace them if worn. They can cause clunking.

The diagram below shows the tension strut as #4.

The pics below that show the strut and a close up of the bushing that cracks, which can cause clunking. If it's cracked, you need to replace it/them. (one on each side)

Last edited by Fireman2118; 01-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Senior Member Xevamir's Avatar Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star! Xevamir is a Magnum All Star!
    ^^^Why is Bill just the bomb?^^^

Please check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Xevamir

Audio: Pioneer Premier HU | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Kicker L5 Sub | SuperBass Probox | Polk 500.4 Amp | Hifonics 1000.1 Amp.

Hemi? Noooooooo! gangster wagon's Avatar

gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious! gangster wagon is a Magnum Genious!
    I just heard a clunk yesturday for the first time. Guess the mag goes up in the air for an exzamination. lame!

Senior Member F-5.7's Avatar F-5.7 is making a name for themself!
    Quote: Originally Posted by s.wood View Post
    I have been hearing a clunking noise in the car on the right side going over pot holes and so fourth,now i hear it on both sides..the clunk is annoyin..i took it to a front end shop and he said everything was tight..im reading other posts and people are saying sway bar bushings..which seems to be the cheaper way, and others are saying definitely tension struts..my question to that is "what are tension struts"? is it the struts itself..

thanks
    I recently replaced my sway bar bushings & it cured the clunking noise. That said, I too have a cracked tension strut bushing on my driver side (see pictures) but all is quiet right now. I am not sure how bad they have to be before making noise but I do intend on changing them soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clunking noise in front end-driver-side-sway.jpg   Clunking noise in front end-driver-side-tension-2.jpg  

K&N CAI, SRT-8 Cat Back Exhaust, DiabloSport inTune (Diablo Tune 93 oct.)

Member Wolf613 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Sway bar bushings cured my "clunk"!
    I too had split tension strut bushings with no noise from them. I have replaced them anyway.
    2005 Magnum RT. Borla catback, K&N CAI, Diablo Predator.

thanks fro the replys ...i will go with the bushing s first..
    YOUNG FOREVER

Member jgreer69's Avatar jgreer69 is gettin' serious now! jgreer69 is gettin' serious now! jgreer69 is gettin' serious now!
    I would replace the Tension Struts if the rubber is like the picture up above, like FIREMAN mentioned. Go to www.rockauto.com and they are like $29-$45 each and they fixed my front end clunk. MEVOTECH is the brand that I have been using on all the front end ball joints and components. They are the mid price range and they come with grease zerts unlike the OEM parts. Good Luck with the fix.

P.S. Fireman knows all we all call him the MAGGIE GOD!!!.
    Mods to date:
    1. Borla Cat-Back Dual Exit Exhaust
    2. Chrome Door Handles
    3. Tinted windows all around
    4. Predator Tuner
    5. Interior Accents Painted Black to match car.
    6. 2-12" Subs
    7. Debadged all around
    8. Front Billet Grill Inserts
    9. BT Catch Can
    10. Air Silencer Removed
    11. Big Bully Intake
    12. Billet Shifter from BT
    Future:
    1. JBA Shorty Headers
    2. 20" Wheels and Tires
    3. SRT Front Bumper w/ Inserts

Moddin' the Mag every chance I get!!!!

Newbie cscates37 is an unknown quantity at this point
    I replaced my bushings and still have the clunks. My tension struts are just a little worn looking. Any idea what eles might cause the clunk?
    Clunking noise in front end-magnum.jpg 05' R/T only one real mod(so far)-Brute Force Air Intake

Senior Member goodfellazmagnum's Avatar goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert! goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert! goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert! goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert! goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert!
    I had clanking too but I took mine in and they said it was upper control arms/upper ball joint got a pair off eBay for $95

NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    I have already bought both inner and outter tie rod ends for both sides and also know the part shown in 5 & 6 of the drawing above is also bad.... still trying to figure out what that is called.... everyone keeps telling me something different and do NOT want to order the wrong part!!! Some have told me I can just order the bushing and some have told me I need the whole new part.... they called this part the Lower control arm ~ is that correct? I was then told this is called the tension strut....???? Also the arm shown in number 6 where the bushing is, is also "enlongated" from the bad bushing....so maybe the whole arm needs replacing. Also NO ONE has this part in stock around here....???
    Last edited by NOTPAID4; 04-20-2011 at 06:41 AM.

My Cars:
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

Member mrharris2525's Avatar mrharris2525 is a Magnum Expert! mrharris2525 is a Magnum Expert! mrharris2525 is a Magnum Expert! mrharris2525 is a Magnum Expert! mrharris2525 is a Magnum Expert!
    Blog Entries
    I have to replace my bushings too!! I'm glad that theres a ebay, because it could save u tons of money....... an I also heard that dodges is one of the wrost cars with front end problems...
    WHEN THAT BIG BOY PULL UP NEXT TO YA, JUST RESPECT IT!!!!!!!! [IMG][/IMG]

NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! NOTPAID4 is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Just NOW ordered my tension struts and they should be here tomorrow. Ordered mine locally from O'reillys!

Thanks to Fireman this is what I still need....

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1282802
    Last edited by NOTPAID4; 04-20-2011 at 12:17 PM.

My Cars:
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

Let me tell you , if you ordered aftermarket bushings and they are not the right size the noise will still be there...apparently after market states 3 different sizes, i put a pair on and the noise went away for a day then it started clunking on both sides. so i went to the dealer and bought a pair and the noise went away, ...its been a couple of months now....hope this helps
    YOUNG FOREVER

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast