Front end vibration at 65mph

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply to Thread

Newbie stocksj is an unknown quantity at this point

Front end vibration at 65mph

Hi,
    I'm getting some front end vibration when driving starting at about 62 mph increasing at 65mph and then dropping off after 70mph. I was thinking tire balancing since I see no balancing weights on the front wheels. This problem only happens at about 65mph.

07 Magnum SXT w/83k miles

Thanks,
    Jim

2. CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member goodfellazmagnum's Avatar goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert! goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert! goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert! goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert! goodfellazmagnum is a Magnum Expert!
    Get the tires and balancing checked if there ok could be some front end parts they are notorious for going bad...

Sent from my HTC EVO on tapatalk

26" Dcenti rims w/255/30/26 tires, extended spindles, rolled fenders, 2 15" kicker L7 subwoofers, 4,000 watt hifonics brutus amp, tinted tails, black painted headlight buckets, 8.3" power acoustik Flip out touch screen dvd player, cross drilled and slotted rotors,Cai, wiper delete with 300 srt8 wing, 8000k HID lights, white led interior lights, polished gauge rings, dual exhasust with glasspack

Newbie stocksj is an unknown quantity at this point
    Ok Thanks,
    I went out to check which tire I have and they are different. When I bought the car used last December the Toyota dealership needed to replace the rear tires. Here's what I have:
    Front: Goodyear Integrity P215/65R17 80% tread
    Rear: Goodyear Wrangler SRA P215/65R17 100% new
    New brake shoes

I've only driven the car 1100 miles in the last 6 months. The vibration is felt in the dashboard only. The car handles nice and no braking or steering issues.
    I hope that helps. I have an appointment at Firestone on base tomorrow. If they come up with anything more than just a tire balance I'll take it else where since they try to stick it to you with unneeded repairs.

Jim
    Last edited by stocksj; 06-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler! Fireman2118 knows more than the President of Chrysler!
    Have the wheels balanced and if that doesn't correct the problem, check the tie rods.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to! waldo is the one everyone should be listening to!
    As others have suggested, check the suspension bits and pieces. Another possibility, though somewhat remote, is potential tread seperation.

I had a very similar issue and no amount of balancing could get rid of it. Turned out all four tires, Goodyear RSAs were coming apart... they only had about 5,000 miles on them. Goodyear offered a pro-rated replacement, but after what I'd heard of others having issues with GY tires, I put Toyo Proxy 4s on the car and couldn't be happier.

I'm certainly hoping your problem can be fixed for less money and a whole lot less hassle...
    W.W.E.D.? Admit nothing, deny everything... demand proof

Member mcdizzle's Avatar mcdizzle is making a name for themself! mcdizzle is making a name for themself!
    ive had that problem with other vehicles, and a rotation/balance solved it. so, i guess it could be anything.

Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge! Radglenn is the keeper of all Magnum knowledge!
    Had the same problem, I had the tires re balanced FOUR times. Forth time was a different tire store...... Fixed....

Happened again a few months later.... replaced both outer tie rod ends... took me longer to jack up car than it did to change the ends.... it is that easy.....

2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS!

Member Jefro2010's Avatar Jefro2010 is a Magnum Expert in Training! Jefro2010 is a Magnum Expert in Training! Jefro2010 is a Magnum Expert in Training! Jefro2010 is a Magnum Expert in Training!
    i had the same thing, i had my wheels balanced and it kept throwing diff. weights each time, come to find out one of the tires had fix-a-flat in it causing it to vibrate at certain speeds
    2006 R/T AWD, K&N CAI, SLP LM1 exhaust, slotted rotors!!! B

Mopar or No Car!!! Go big or go
    Home!!!

Member TI 3VOM's Avatar TI 3VOM is making a name for themself! TI 3VOM is making a name for themself!
    Quote: Originally Posted by Jefro2010 View Post
    i had the same thing, i had my wheels balanced and it kept throwing diff. weights each time, come to find out one of the tires had fix-a-flat in it causing it to vibrate at certain speeds

Fix-a-flat or slime was my suggestion as well. I had to do that during my labor day weekend expedition to South Dakota and nobody would touch my tires or even have the sizes I needed because alot of places were closed obviously during the holiday. I didn't get a shake until right around 75/76mph

Member mcdizzle's Avatar mcdizzle is making a name for themself! mcdizzle is making a name for themself!
    theres a style of weight called dyna beads that i will probably get. ive used them in motorcycle tires and they work great. they are ceramic beads you pour through the valve stem and they balance for the lifetime of the tire.

Senior Member el guapo's Avatar el guapo is a Magnum Superstar! el guapo is a Magnum Superstar! el guapo is a Magnum Superstar! el guapo is a Magnum Superstar! el guapo is a Magnum Superstar! el guapo is a Magnum Superstar! el guapo is a Magnum Superstar! el guapo is a Magnum Superstar!
    Went through this last year. No amount of balancing would fix it. Turned out that the belts and plys were starting to separate. These were the "new" pair of continentals that were on it when I bought it. Once they were swapped out all was fine.
    I've got a mind that can steer me to your house,
    And a heart that can bring you red flowers.
    My intentions are good and earnest and true,
    But under my hood is internal combustion power.

Satan is my Motor - Cake

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” - Jack Handy

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet