Polishing billet aluminum...

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Member Mr_Wallace's Avatar Array

Polishing billet aluminum...

Just wondering if somebody here can tell me if it's possible to polish a piece of billet aluminum up to a shine (like chrome shiny) by hand...or at home?

Is this the place for this question?
    "Me...I wan' was coming to me...the world, cheeco...an' everything in it!" Tony Montana in Scarface Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Tired Boss, Dog Tired
    Array
    Yo can get close with polish and a mr. clean magic eraser, I use those on my wheels and get a great shine every time. Just remember to wax afterwards.
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
    Borla Exhaust
    BigBully CAI
    BT Catch Can
    Diablo Predator
    Hemi Registry #1224

Array
    Billet can be polished very well... however, some billet components have been powdercoated with clear, which must be removed before the metal can be buffed out. Use a good quality polish and if the cloth you're using doesn't start turning black, the piece has been coated.

I don't know of any good ways to remove powdercoating except by sanding.
    W.W.E.D.? Hidden Content Admit nothing, deny everything... demand proof

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member Mr_Wallace's Avatar Array
    Yea, I was using a Billet polish and the metal did produce a black film, biut I was doing it by hand and it didn't seem to be doing much to the piece at all. Should a little dremel tool or something and do it that way?

I'm hesitant to do it that way because the engraving of the logo on the emblem piece isn't very deep into the metal. I mean it is deep enough but if I mess up the polishing and start having to remove layers (not that I think I would be that bad, LOL), I don't want mess up the piece(s).
    "Me...I wan' was coming to me...the world, cheeco...an' everything in it!" Tony Montana in Scarface Hidden Content