How To: NAG 1 Dipstick and Temperature Measuring

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Newbie Array
    Nice work on the dipstick write up. There are a couple of things that were not mentioned specifically and I want to be perfectly clear about them.
    Is the oil level checked hot and running or hot and engine off?
    I read on other forums with older cars and guys trying to check trans fluid with the engine off and over fill them. Owners manual doesn't say as you know and I don't have a service manual yet.
    I am assuming the 30mm to 60 mm range you are talking about, is the distance from the top of the fill tube, down to the fluid level with engine off?
    What is the approximate amount of fluid if draining and replacing? Is there a conventional type filter in the pan?
    We just got an '05 Rt and want to freshen up all the fluids and change the plugs and filters. Had to call several flaps before I found the Champion plugs at NAPA.
    I saw a video here about torn strut bushings in a you tube video. Mine are not as bad, but are torn. Chrysler said the struts are on back order so I ordered the orange Pedders bushings.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    I used a big ass zip tie from home depot. It bottoms out and is easily marked.

Cold in Drive was 15-25 MM IIRC.

Hot (normal) was 50-60MM. If the cold is correct, the hot will be also. Hot for me is about 160F on my aeroforce gauge.

That's about normal driving range. This was after the dealership checked the level after my trans cooler install.
    Sluggo - 06MagnumR/T -Frankintake IV with Specter stack upgrade, 5.7 based square stroker, MM 85 MM TB, Worked Inertia 6.1 heads, SRT headers and cats, Solo cat back, Thermo & Cool It fan mods, Saudi Rad, Trans, flex plate and 4K TC by B B , P/S, and 2 oil coolers, Pedders Track II, Megan racing coil overs, NOESP, TranZformer, MPTCM, Zt-2 A/F, Trinity with EGT Module, 20" JacksNFives with Invos, Wilwood brake upgrades, Eibach sway bars, BWoody links, Chally 3.06 with Quaife and heavy shafts.

Member Hemissary's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nice work on the dipstick write up. There are a couple of things that were not mentioned specifically and I want to be perfectly clear about them.
    Is the oil level checked hot and running or hot and engine off?
    I read on other forums with older cars and guys trying to check trans fluid with the engine off and over fill them. Owners manual doesn't say as you know and I don't have a service manual yet.
    I am assuming the 30mm to 60 mm range you are talking about, is the distance from the top of the fill tube, down to the fluid level with engine off?
    What is the approximate amount of fluid if draining and replacing? Is there a conventional type filter in the pan?
    We just got an '05 Rt and want to freshen up all the fluids and change the plugs and filters. Had to call several flaps before I found the Champion plugs at NAPA.
    I saw a video here about torn strut bushings in a you tube video. Mine are not as bad, but are torn. Chrysler said the struts are on back order so I ordered the orange Pedders bushings.
    Thanks
    Apologies; somehow missed your questions;

- vehicle must be running to measure. Those with gauges that monitor OBDII (like Aeroforce) must ensure vehicle is in neutral in order to read transmission temperature...otherwise in P you are reading coolant temperature.
    - fluid level - is the amount of fluid on the end of the (a) dipstick that has bottomed out on transmission pan floor...measured in mm.
    - Go here to download LX Service Manuals, Body Manuals, Parts Books. The Service Manual will call out the amoutn of fluid replacement required depending on type of drainage done:

Index of /manuals
    Hidden Content HEMISSARY ----simon----

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12