How To: 5.7L EGR Valve Replacement

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Member Array

How To: 5.7L EGR Valve Replacement

removal

The electronic EGR valve and solenoid assembly (3) is attached to the front of the right cylinder head (1). An exhaust gas routing tube connects the EGR valve to the intake manifold.
    1. Use a diagnostic scan tool to record any DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).
    2. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

3. Disconnect electrical connector (1) from EGR solenoid (2).
    4. Remove two bolts (3) connecting EGR tube (4) to valve assembly.
    5. Remove gasket located between EGR tube flange and EGR valve assembly.

6. Remove two mounting bolts (2).
    7. Separate valve assembly (3) from cylinder head (1).
    8. Remove and discard metal gasket located between cylinder head and valve assembly.
    installation

1. Position a new metal gasket between cylinder head (1) and valve assembly (3).
    2. Install two mounting bolts (2) and tighten. Refer to Torque Specifications.

3. Clean EGR tube where it joins EGR valve.
    4. Position new gasket between EGR tube flange and EGR valve assembly.
    5. Install two bolts (3) connecting EGR tube (4) to valve assembly (2). Tighten bolts. Refer to Torque Specifications.
    6. Connect electrical connector (1) to EGR solenoid (2).
    7. Connect negative battery cable.
    8. Using a diagnostic scan tool, erase any previously recorded DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).
    Last edited by Chutsk10; 03-19-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Title Change

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Thank you Firedoc!
    Again, this is some great info!
    ~ In Loving Memory of Danny Cox (5.27.92 - 8.7.11) ~

Newbie flow11234's Avatar Array
    ok so thus morning i took my 2005 2.7 maggie to auto to read my cpu and these codes came up, po138-02s shorted to voltage,po157 0s shorted to ground, po406 egr pos sensor voltage to high and the egr flow sensor. all these codes came up what do i do to make these codes go away and the check engine light off. also what does this effect ,not working

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member Array
    i changed mine its super easy u just have to have the right tools cause the one bottom bolt is kinda tight to get to. but great post.

Array
    oh my god, let me just say........ ive never struggled with a gasket.... like that.. in my LIFE. whoever worked on this before me.. really effed up the valve assembly tube. and ive never been so frustrated in my life hope its easier for everyone else

Member TI 3VOM's Avatar Array
    The 2.7's EGR valve replacements are/can be such a pain in the ass to do with where they are located compared to the 5.7's! I had to replace my EGR valve 3 times within a few months time on my 2.7 Chrysler 300, the last time the clip on the plug broke, so I had to buy a replacement plug and re-pin everything.

Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by TI 3VOM View Post
    The 2.7's EGR valve replacements are/can be such a pain in the ass to do with where they are located compared to the 5.7's! I had to replace my EGR valve 3 times within a few months time on my 2.7 Chrysler 300, the last time the clip on the plug broke, so I had to buy a replacement plug and re-pin everything.
    thats crappy. i dont know how many curse words came out of my mouth today. but i wont be doing that again. too bad i cant delete it.

Member TI 3VOM's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by lovelinds View Post
    thats crappy. i dont know how many curse words came out of my mouth today. but i wont be doing that again. too bad i cant delete it.
    Lol, I'm sure we shared plenty of the same curse words over EGR's....I had to replace mine during the winter here in Nebraska....I don't have a garage...so, cold hands, low tolerance for anything to go wrong, and tight/hard to access area makes for a lovely time :P

Array
    hats off to you. i dont work on my car when its cold unless i absolutely HAVE to. knockin knuckles on wrenches doesnt make for a good time at all in the cold.