Independent Testing: 3.5L Intakes (E-Bay, K&N, Big Bully, Air Hammer HO)

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Magnified rwalshphoto's Avatar Array
    Well done sir!
    Starting over with a new Magnum RT... 6.1L with SRT Max Cam, Corsa catback, SRT Suspension, silver Brembos, graphite powder coated Charger SRT wheels, frost white intake manifold and valve cover, matte black engine bay, 300C SRT front end, Black Ops 300-Challenger style carbon fiber hood coming soon. Project "SnoMachine" all work performed by Hidden Content .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    GREAT write up man, bean comin your way!!

Senior Member MagikDammit's Avatar Array
    great job man as far as i am concerned... looks like k&n had the grestest increase
    TIME FOR MAGGY TO GO...PARTS FOR $ALE!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor Xcbellx's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by MagikDammit View Post
    great job man as far as i am concerned... looks like k&n had the grestest increase

? how so? K&N didn't get a second dyno run.

Array
    BigBully FTW!!!

Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by karlito View Post
    bigbully ftw!!!
    x2!!!!!!
    Hidden Content

Wheels // Accessories // Body kits // Suspension // Electronics

A huge Cavs fan mjgmagnum's Avatar Array
    Blog Entries
    seems to me BIGBULLY is the winner

Supporting Vendor Xcbellx's Avatar Array
    what the hell is "FTW" I'm sooo not up to speed on my forum lingo

I am a computer.

Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by MagikDammit View Post
    Quote: Originally Posted by Xcbellx View Post
    ? how so? K&N didn't get a second dyno run.

Arg, don't remind me!

I wouldn't feel comfortable saying the K&N would have performed better than the others but at the same time I can't say it was worse.

A very rough logic to me is that in test group one each intake dropped around 2-3HP because heat was becomming an issue so if you trace the K&N back to position one you are at the tested 7HP + 4-6 . . . bringing you up to the 12HP range.

Now that is a really rough observation and there are many factors involved etc but considering the filter size and design I feel the K&N would be at par with the BB and AH.

Haha I don't know I have thought about this WAY to much I explained my theories but the info is there for you to make your own.
    Last edited by Chutsk10; 08-04-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Array
    dang nice right up man...

The only thing I have to say about future potential gains is that these engines are extremely sensitive to heat. Trust me - driving this heavy beast in 115* heat you mise well attach a 2 ton boat anchor to the back. Without a sealed system the hot air lingers in the engine bay and just gets sucked right back in regardless of where the filter is positioned or how big the filter is.

In my own car i have the fog bezels cut out and a ram air nozzle thats fed from the grill area right up to the filter. It helps when the car is moving but when I'm sitting at a stop light for a few minutes and romp on it the car sits there and bogs from all that rush of 200+degree air being sucked in through that airhammer. The K&N heat shield doesnt do a damn thing either...I modified something similar to fit the hammer and it did nothing. The other thing is, the mild steel heat soaks like an 80yo leather skinned sun worshipping old lady from sun city. In fact, after a good 30 min of driving around in the heat the mild steel tubes are too hot to touch without burning yourself. Dont think for a second that doesnt have an affect on the perceived IAT readings. If I remove the IAT from the intake tube and tape it up behind the strut bar the IAT readings drop almost 15 degrees. For those who arent familiar - the hotter the IAT reading the more timing the car will pull and the more power you will lose.
    Starting over with a new Magnum RT... 6.1L with SRT Max Cam, Corsa catback, SRT Suspension, silver Brembos, graphite powder coated Charger SRT wheels, frost white intake manifold and valve cover, matte black engine bay, 300C SRT front end, Black Ops 300-Challenger style carbon fiber hood coming soon. Project "SnoMachine" all work performed by Hidden Content .

I am a computer.

Array
    ^
    I will agree that the "heat shields" don't do much in combating the heat and I believe they were tested somewhere on LX forums. A full sealed system would be beneficial and I also like the idea of bringing the intake tube through the silencer hole and placing the filter below the engine compartment.

As far as the tubes go, whether it was the mild steel, aluminum or even plastic each one was extremely hot after the 3 back to back pulls. Again I thought I saw a test regarding the tube material over at LX forums but am not to certain on the results.

Hemi? Noooooooo! gangster wagon's Avatar

Array
    Very nice wright up!!! Yeah those intake tubes get nice and hot. Now if we could find something for the tube to take the heat way down. That would be cool.

I am a computer.

Array
    Is carbon fiber a good insulating material? No one has yet to make a carbon fiber intake for the 3.5 but I think the market would be big for it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Chutsk10 View Post
    Is carbon fiber a good insulating material?
    Carbon fiber and fiberglass have better heat deflection properties then most metals or plastics. Stainless Steel and aluminum alloys have the best heatsoak properties of any of the metals but also harder and more expensive to work with.

Quote: Originally Posted by Chutsk10 View Post
    No one has yet to make a carbon fiber intake for the 3.5 but I think the market would be big for it.
    Hopefully... we'll see

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast