How To: 3.5L Catch Can Installation

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am a computer.

Array

How To: 3.5L Catch Can Installation

Well I held out long enough and finally joined the crowd. This was an impulse buy since BT held a %15 off sale just days after I ordered my ported/polished throttle body and lower intake manifold. I think protecting my ported/polished parts was a very valid excuse to spend another 133 Canadian dollars I don’t have.

Upon opening the box I was amazed by the quality of this thing but I really wasn’t surprised considering the quality of the other BT products I own. These things are very solid and there is a lot of material here for the price. The anodize finish is vibrant, smooth and shiny (ie. perfect!). I should also mention the customer service at BT is hands down unbelievable.

I went with purple anodize and it is very hard to photograph in all it’s purpley/pink glory but it is beautiful. Eventually my engine bay will be roughly %80 black, %20 yellow (to match my callipers) and I will use the purple anodize BT catch can and fluid caps to make it all “pop” . . . it looks great in my head but will take awhile since my bay is bone stock so far haha.

Last edited by Chutsk10; 03-19-2012 at 09:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

I am a computer.

Array

The "wrong" yet perfectly functional way

Step 1: Open the package to release the all mightily BT power that is the catch can.

Step 2: Throw out the instructions!
    Haha ok, I admittedly read through the instructions once but they made no sense at first glance and the one picture supplied was dark and muddy so I set them aside. After I did the install MY way I re-read the BT instructions and they made more sense than before not to mention their method sounds easier than what I did.

So here is how I did the install, skip to the third post for the BT installation method.

Step 3: Connect the supplied hoses with the supplied brass fitting.
    (I should have known something was wrong at this point since one length of hose was too long and one too small . . . my logic was to use the supplied brass fitting to make one long hose and cut it to the necessary lengths.)

Step 4: Connect hose to the PCV valve on the engine.
    This is located on the left side of the engine buried under the plenum. It is a very tight fit and I temporarily removed the thing-a-ma-jig to make more room for my hand. The thing-a-ma-jig simply pulls off its mounting post and can be pushed aside will all hoses/wires attached.

Yellow arrow: Pull up to remove thing-a-ma-jig
    Red Arrow: Location of PCV tube, refer to next photo

PCV tube at engine

Step 5: Mount the BT catch can.
    The mounting location is on the strut brace by the throttle body. There is a little pocket there as if the catch can was meant to be a stock item. Slide the arm of the catch can into the pocket and use the supplied (3/16 hex head) screw to fasten it from below.

Step 6: Cut hose to length and attach
    Pull the hose you installed in Step 4 up to the brass elbow on the left side of the catch can (or right side it doesn’t matter) cut to length and slide it onto the fitting. Be careful here as there is little hose to spare. I ended up cutting 15” off the end.

Step 7: Connect second hose
    Using the off cut from the step above connect it to the PCV valve on the plenum (third hose from the throttle body.) The other end connects to the right elbow of the can. Lastly, pull out the stock PCV tube (which should be disconnected at both ends by now) and you are done.

PCV tube at plenum

Last edited by Chutsk10; 10-28-2009 at 08:19 PM.

I am a computer.

Array

The right way as per BT instructions

Ok, now that I have wasted my time (and yours) explaining how to do the install the “wrong way” here is how to do it as BT describes in the instructions.

Step 1: Mount the catch can per “Step 5” above.

Step 2: Disconnect the PCV tube at the plenum (shown in “Step 7” above.) Now use the supplied straight brass fitting to connect one of the supplied hoses to the stock PCV hose. Connect the other end to one side of the catch can.

Step 3: Use the other supplied hose to connect the other side of the catch can to the PCV valve at the plenum (the location of the tube you just removed in Step 2)

Complete: 15 minutes tops! Yeah, by doing this you don’t even have to access the tight space where the PCV line connects at the engine. Doh!
    Last edited by Chutsk10; 10-28-2009 at 08:21 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

keep calm? IT'S GOT A HEMI! Demon's Avatar

Array
    Can't wait to see some install pics. Sounds like a pretty cool plan...

2006 Dodge Magnum SRT
    HHP Stage 2 Ported and Hand Polished heads, Arrington ST-3A Cam 225/235 lift @ .050 114 Lobe Sep, Arrington Pushrods, ARP head bolts, Underdrive Pully, BC Coil over, JBA Long Tubes, catless mid, Corsa Extreme, UAS bags, VU4, Switchspeed
    My other Rides:
    2006 Chrysler 300C (Nilla Corilla)
    2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
    1939 Chevy Rat Rod
    Your Mom

Array
    Yeah, looks like a great product

Congratz!
    PHIL Hidden Content SXT
    Dual Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust System
    K&N Series 63 CAI, Ported Throttle Body
    Big Bully Catch Can, Diablo Predator

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I am a computer.

Array
    ugggh why do I write so much . . . the write up is literally taking longer than the install!

Array
    Did the thread I sent help? Sorry I haven't had a chance to get pics. I have a sick 5 year old that won't let me leave his side.
    Hidden Content

Wheels // Accessories // Body kits // Suspension // Electronics

I am a computer.

Array
    ^ Yeah, it helped me install it the HARD way! haha thanks though it did get me through it.

Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by Chutsk10 View Post
    ^ Yeah, it helped me install it the HARD way! haha thanks though it did get me through it.
    Sorry bro. Sometimes I wish I wasn't single so I didn't have to play parent 100% of the time. Glad you got it on though.
    Hidden Content

I am a computer.

Array
    Haha no need to apologize man, it worked and the install wasn't all that bad.

Array
    Looks GREAT Andrei! Like the color of that catch can!!!

Hidden Content

MyHidden Content Cars:Hidden Content
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

Array
    Nice work Andrei, I'm gonna move to your write up to tech articles, hope thats OK.
    Hidden Content

Array
    Looks GOOD! the color and your plan sound like a cool idea!!!
    2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS! One of 116 Built!!!!!

Member Array
    Looks good.Thanks for the business.We are in the process of doing new pictures so I apologize.

Array
    man good write up! Looks good sitting there next to your hammer!!
    Hidden Content

2007 Magnum SXT
    Leather/Debaged/BigBully CAI/BlastinBob 14dbDualConv/Danko Chin Spoiler/Chrome Pkg/Billet Grilles/10k Lows&Fog HID's/GTS RainGuards/
    2 10" KickerCVRs/400W Kicker Amp/VHT TintedTails/CustomEnginePaint/ACC Oracle Blue Interior LEDs/XL Eyelids/Blinker Mod/Tailgate LED BrakeLight/KarlsKustom SwitchPlate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast