How To: Replace the Oil Pressure Sensor (5.7L V8)

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

How To: Replace the Oil Pressure Sensor (5.7L V8)

Well, I started my car today to find the code P0520 coming up with my check engine light, so, I looked on here and discovered it was the oil pressure switch that was causing the aforementioned code.

There was no real how-to on this, so I might as well make it.

Part Number 05149062AA at the local stealership will run you about 56 bucks. I dunno where else to find it, and I like using Mopar parts.

So, the sensor is located behind the alternator....which means you have to drop the alt if you want to get at it, which is a kinda big pain in the ass, but not too hard.

You'll need your basic tools, as well as a breaker bar, in order to loosen the tension on the drive belt.

-Disconnect your battery, we'll be dealing with the altenator here....

-Start off by jacking up your front end, and place your jackstands appropriately, you're going to be under the car for quite a while.

-Remove the oil pan cover, and then take off the front most plastic cover under the car for ease of access to the alt and oil pressure switch.

-Prop your hood with your custom PVC irrigation prop rod if your gas struts are shot like mine are

From this point you really cant even see the dang switch we're replacing, but trust me, it's in there.

-Take the belt off the alternator by placing a 3/8ths inch breaker bar into the square hole in the bottom of the belt tensioner, and turning it clockwise. Reach over and slide the belt off the alt. I don't have a little breaker bar so i just used my socket wrench with a hunk of pipe on it for torque.

-I pulled off my intake tube and airbox cover to access the belt better.

-Take the bolts out of the alternator, there are 3, all 15mm.I removed the bottom 2 bolts on the alt first, to keep it from falling on my face while I was under there. Then remove the top bolt, and slide that heavy sucker out of the way. (i have no idea who designs this crap, i could see no way to pull the alternator out of the engine bay without removing the radiator hose or something equally stupid.)

-disconnect the plug and wire from the back of the altenator I would double check to make sure you disconnected the battery at this point...there's nothing like a big scary arc of electricity to make this fun experience into a dangerous one!

-Now you can see the stupid switch, from the bottom only though. It's the white thing with the plug hanging next to it. Remoig the plug was a pain, you need to slide the little red tab out to be able to pull it off.

-Once you have it unplugged, its time to get creative with extensions and wrench adapters, haha. You'll need a fat socket to get this thing off. its a 1 and 1/16" bolt, and it'll need to be a deep socket. I use harbor freight deep impact sockets because i know i wont break em by hand, and I have no impact wrenches.

-Turn the wrench for what seems like an eternity, then turn some more, eventually it''ll come out. Old compared to new. You can see the old one was weeping a bit.

-After that, put the new sensor into the little hole, and again, tighten it for what seems like an eternity, evntually it'll be all snug.

-Once you got that in, plug her back in! I broke the clip while doing this...hope that isnt too big of a problem....so be careful.

- all plugged in! You can see the alt just propped up above where I was working.

Now, reverse your procedure!

-Replace the plug and wire on the back of the alt
    -Screw the alt into place (i started with the top bolt)
    -Replace the belt onto the alt by using the same procedure as above
    -Replace your airbox, intake tube, and IAT sensor
    -Replace all the stupid plastic covers under the car, blah blah blah.
    -Remove jack stands
    -Smile

I think thats about it. I accidently started the car without the IAT sensor so it threw a P0113 code at me, but I reconnected it.

My car no longer has the P0520 code, and all seems to be well...

Except that my bellhousing seems to be leaking...oh jeeze.

If I missed anything, I'll add it in later. I hope you all find this helpful, i wish i had a good step by step guide to doing this, it would have taken half the time.

I took about 2 hours to get this done.
    Last edited by Chutsk10; 07-03-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Title change.
    -Andrew
    Landscape Architecture Student - Not Landscaper
    I DESPISE CHROME

In god we trust. Everyone else...hands where I can see them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Nice job and a good write up I'd say... A bean for your efforts!!!

Hidden Content

MyHidden Content Cars:Hidden Content
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

loven the super charged life jayalbertcars's Avatar

Array
    i do these all the time i do not remove any thing. you can get to the sensor

DODGE MAGNUM "THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS "

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by jayalbertcars View Post
    i do these all the time i do not remove any thing. you can get to the sensor
    Haha, dammit. where were you 2 hours ago!!! haha.

Oh well, I cant see any way to get at the dang thing, maybe if you remove the oil filter....but the alt is totally in the way...
    -Andrew
    Landscape Architecture Student - Not Landscaper
    I DESPISE CHROME

In god we trust. Everyone else...hands where I can see them.

loven the super charged life jayalbertcars's Avatar

Array
    it looks like it is but it is not i have done a few for members on this site they can tell u i remove nothing but the bad sensor

DODGE MAGNUM "THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS "

Member Lil mag 2.7's Avatar Array
    what was the story on the bad senser,how was it acting exactly. was the check engine light on, or just the oil light. mine has gotten to the point that no matter what speed the car is going,as long as im off the gas for about 5 r 6 seconds it the oil light will come on and ding on n off. the check engine light has not come on at all, and auto zones scan reader wont pick up any code unless the check engine light is on. does this sound like the same problem u have had?. thanks forums r grrrrreat.

Newbie Array
    I went to the dealer today to get them to look at the P0520 code and they couldn't find anything wrong with the sensor. My check engine light is still on. How can I reset the light. Should I just replace the sensor myself. I really don't want to replace parts if I don't have to but will replacing the sensor clear the code.

Senior Member 02proxdude's Avatar Array
    ^rest lights by disconnecting battery, ^^ sounds like you have a problem with oil level more than this, not really sure but could it have anything to do with oild pump pressure? Is your oil leve full enough? my old dodge ate oil and i knew when it was getting low when the light would flicker on then turn off, just ment my purma oil change was in need of some more oil again lol
    2005 Magnum Rt, Hemi Registry #1248, Air silencer removed, Lower baffled flip, Predator 93 CAI tune, Frankentake IV, 20" glass packs with resonator delete, Blinker mod, Auto lights, Type X eyelids, HID's low and fog lights 6000k 55w lows and 35w fogs, color matching interior and exterior, new 200 Chrysler wing blacked out and used to cover wiper delete
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Newbie Redneck RT's Avatar Array
    Thank you for that post with the pictures. I had to change sending unit this weekend and what a pain. To the guy that didn't take anything off to get to it. You must have little kid hands. I could not get my arm even close to that area.

Anyway great post and thank you it was a great help.

Array
    very nice write up somebody should try to move this to the Ultimate How To list

Member Array
    Dr. Marneaus wrote:
    How-To: Oil Pressure Switch replacement.
    Job well done with this HOW-TO!
    Thank you also for providing pictures, its really a great help if pictures are also included so that the future user can understand easily the process.

Newbie Array

thanks

thanks for the photos hopefully i dont have to do any of this... last oil change was performed at a shop. woke up this morning and engine light came on i freaked out stopped by autozone had the light checked and i got 2 codes p0250 which was for oil pressure sensor and p1521 for incorrect engine oil type, viscosity or contamination the last oil change was 2000 miles ago i called the shop to see what the put in last and he said 10w 30 advised that my car takes 5w 30 so i stopped by after work they re-did the oil change and hopefully this resolves the prob autozone said this was like a combo prob. the shop also reset the light. does anyone know how long it takes for the engine light to reset itself so i'll know if this check engine light is resolved or not... he was also telling me about 0w30 and basically saying that its great. any thoughts

Newbie bob21's Avatar Array

Talking

Great Post!!
    Tons of help. Thanks for the pictures!!!

Bob.

Senior Member shane93nc's Avatar Array
    Beans to you for a great write up!

Array
    Thanks for the write up! Got mine in today
    I replaced it with a RockAuto part which required a different socket (1-1/16 socket I bought for my Malibu's oil sending unit a while back)

*Extra tip: I was able to turn the plastic end for easier access to the plastic clip for release
    *Downer: Discovered a leak at the thermostat ...off to AutoZone!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast