How To: Change the Differential Fluid (5.7L V8 RWD)

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Member American Muscle's Avatar Array

How To: Change the Differential Fluid (5.7L V8 RWD)

If you can change your oil you can do this!

This is on a 5.7, not sure if it is different for the V6 models or the AWD

You'll need this:

H14 Hex bit: (Picked up a three pack at Autozone for$12)

A fluid transfer pump: (Autozone has this one for $7)

2 Quarts (2 bottles) of 75-140 synthetic gear lube: (I used Mobile 1)

Now your ready to start the job, drive the car for a while to warm up the rear axle fluid so that it will drain more easily then raise the car and make it level. I used ramps for the front wheels and jack stand for the back.

Loosen the top bolt on the driver side. This will allow air to flow when you start draining. You can remove the bolt, but fluid might start to leak out. Mine had junk in the bolt and made it seem like the 14mm was too big. I took a mallet and tapped the drive in the fitting. You might need to do the same or scrap some of the junk out.

Get a bucket and remove the lower bolt on the pass. side and let it drain (in the meantime, remove the upper bolt, if not already done):

While it is draining get your pump ready. With the pump I purchased I had to cut the top off the fluid bottle so it would fit in:

Put the lower bolt back in and snug it up. I have heard people using Teflon tape of the bolts but I didn't and didn't have any issues.

Stick the pump in the bottle and make sure you attach one of the smaller tubes to the bottom of the pump so it reached the bottom of the bottle. Stick the fill tube in the axle upper hole (The one I used had a clip like part attached to the fill tube. This works great because I needed two hands to pump and didn't have to worry about the fill tube falling out of the hole (insert funny joke here). Now start pumping, you'll need almost 2 bottles to fill it up.

You'll know it's full when fluid starts coming out of the upper hole, where the tube is, so keep that bucket handy. Now go ahead and put the bolt back in tight and you're done.
    Last edited by Chutsk10; 07-03-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Title change.
    Brilliant Black R/T
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    great write-up! beans to you, bro
    Spartan Max Cam
    Stock Heads
    180º T'stat
    Ported Thottle Body
    SLP Pulley
    JBA Shorty Headers
    SLP Loudmouth
    Tuned by ExaTorq

Array
    I agree; nice write up and pictures too! I didn't know you'd have to fill it that full!

Hidden Content

MyHidden Content Cars:Hidden Content
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    How do youknow when this needs to be done ? Mileage, crazy noises, etc...?
    Just slam it.

Array
    wow cool write up, dealer told me i need this done when I went for my last oil change, they wanted $180 to do it, Im thinking I could handle this one
    Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD.You know what will happen if you hit it, but you still want to!

Quote: Originally Posted by FROSTBIT View Post
    How do youknow when this needs to be done ? Mileage, crazy noises, etc...?
    It is at 48k miles and 96k. I have 70k and figured why not. I think the AWD is sooner.

Quote: Originally Posted by Magnumman View Post
    wow cool write up, dealer told me i need this done when I went for my last oil change, they wanted $180 to do it, Im thinking I could handle this one
    Dude, this was SUPER easy, don't waste your mod money paying someone to do this. Easier than doing the oil. Maybe a little messier but much easier.

Quote: Originally Posted by NOTPAID4MSRT8 View Post
    I agree; nice write up and pictures too! I didn't know you'd have to fill it that full!
    No real way to tell when it's full or when you have pumped enough in. Takes 1.7 quarts. Just keep whatever you used to capture the old stuff handy, it's not like it comes shooting out or anything, just starts to flow down.
    Brilliant Black R/T
    Hidden Content

Array
    I still have a LONG way to go then. I've put on 6k in the last 2 years. At that rate... I won't need a change for 6+ years.
    Just slam it.

Quote: Originally Posted by FROSTBIT View Post
    I still have a LONG way to go then. I've put on 6k in the last 2 years. At that rate... I won't need a change for 6+ years.
    Hell at that rate you may need to change it due to expiration! LOL Not a daily driver I take it?
    Brilliant Black R/T
    Hidden Content

Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by American Muscle View Post
    Hell at that rate you may need to change it due to expiration! LOL Not a daily driver I take it?
    LMAO. I drive a company vehicle all week. I only get to enjoy the Magnum on the weekends.
    Just slam it.

Senior Member cleary524's Avatar Array
    Nice write up!

AWD fluid change intervals are the same mileages as RWD. AWD is the same procedure for the rear pumpkin. The front pumpkin is on the passenger side and there is only a fill plug. You need a siphon kit with a 3/8" hose or smaller to pump all the fluid out. The hex nut is 11mm. The fluid is 75W90 IIRC. Pretty easy to change too. Just have to remove the front right tire.
    2005 Magnum RT AWD 344AWHP/358AWTRQ
    FRI Sidewinder Cam, Edelbrock Headers, JBA High Flow Cats, Magnaflow Catback, Tune by Johan, SLP 25% UDP, Jet 180* T-stat, aFe Stg II CAI, 85mm Throttle Body, Catch Can & Freak351 Silver Trans Box. Eibach Pro Line Springs, Billet Tech Interrior, Engine Kit, EGR Block & "M" Emblems, R/T Badges, Custom Magnum R/T Grille.
    Hidden Content & Vidoes

Array
    Great job on the write-up Rob.
    Hidden Content Fate is at the wheel.........enjoy the ride