aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Member dakamp84's Avatar Array

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install

Hello,

I looked for all over for an install for the aFe Stage 2 CAI (54-10712) on an R/T but could not find any with pictures (I am a visual person). The instructions given are pretty detailed but I found them to really only gave me general directions. So I decided to do a write up. Maybe it will help someone else.

You will need a small set of tools (sorry did not write those down - will edit later)

1.) Engine Bay (with cover off). You will need to disconnect your negative battery cable before the install.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_123618.jpg

2.) Locate the Temperature Sensor clip and disconnect by sliding the Red clip back and depressing the pressure clip that holds it to the sensor.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_123805.jpg

3.) Now loosen the 2 metal bands holding the intake tube in place and then remove it. It will come out with a little wiggling.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_123956.jpg

4.) Remove the Crankcase Vent Hose from the air filter and crankcase. Then remove the screw holding the stock Air Box in place. (I removed the top portion of the Air Box for easier viewing)

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_124031.jpg

5.) Now you have removed your stock Air Intake and are ready to add the aFe Stage 2 CAI.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_124206-1.jpg

6.) Open the box and familiarize yourself with the kit. It is well built kit and very easy to assemble.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_123434.jpg

7.) Also note the little holder that is built into the Coolant Reservoir. You will actually slide the new Air Box into this location.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_124206.jpg

8.) Slide the Intake Tube into the Air Box from the kit. The flange for the tube should be inside of the Air Box or the tube will line up with the Throttle Body. Then slide the new Air Box into the slot on the Coolant Reservoir.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_124616.jpg

9.) Take the new Coupler and place the new metal bands around each end. Keep them loose or you may have difficulty getting it over the Throttle Body and Intake Tube.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_124843.jpg

10.) Install new Groumet for Temperature Sensor into Intake Tube.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_125918.jpg

11.) Remove the Temperature Senor from the old stock Intake Tube. Be very carful as this part is fragile and overpriced at your local dealer. It will come out, I promise. Then install the Temperature Sensor into the new Intake Tube. Again, be careful.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_125936.jpg

12.) Reinstall wiring harness to Temperature Sensor.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_130105.jpg

13.) Install the 3 screw sets provided in the kit (3 screws, 6 washers, 3 nuts, and 3 lockers) to mount the Intake Tube to the Air Box. Also you will reuse the bolt from the stock Air Box to mount the new Air Box to the stock mounting tab location.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_124846.jpg

14.) Install the included Carnkcase Vent Line (the stock one will be too short) using the new metal bands from the Crankcase to the Intake Tube.
    Note - I shortened my tube because I did not plan on putting my cover back on; the original is about double this length.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_131010.jpg

15.) Now install your new filter with the supplied metal band (I am using the oiled filter) and add on the gasket around the top of the Air Box.

aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_131313.jpg

16.) Reconnect your battery and check for leaks or loose items. Now you are ready to roll.

Note - I used a Diablo Sport Predator tuner to add my CAI to the car also. If you do not do this (or use some other form) your car's ECU will change back to original specifications after a little while. In other words, your new CAI will become an expensive stock intake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aFe Stage 2 CAI - How to Install-20130105_124846-1.jpg  
    Last edited by dakamp84; 01-07-2013 at 01:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Nice write up but pics are not attached
    Flowmaster American Thunder Exhauast, Universal Air Bags and Viair compressors, Hood Scoop, DeBadged,
    22" /265/35 Wheels and Tires, Painted-Eyelids, Tinted LED TailLights, Big Bully Catch Can, Strut Brace, DiabloSport Predator, 3G Goodies, Flameball Shift knob, Danko Reproduction Grill & Spoiler, Custom Made Splitter Plate, Prime Designs Hydrographics, Oracle Red Halo's. From Pennsylvania? Check out Pa. Modern Mopar Group on Facebook

Member dakamp84's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by crownmagnum View Post
    Nice write up but pics are not attached
    Sorry about that. Choke it up to the "newb" still in me. lol

I think it is working now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

I am a computer.

Array
    Great write-up! I can see the pictures just fine.

Moving to the Tech Articles if you don't mind.

Array
    Nice job!

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    Prothane & Whiteline bushing kit - BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Member OUMag's Avatar Array
    hey i have the 5.7L hemi, i was looking for a CAI and was wondering what you guys though was the best one? what does everyone have and what do you like about it?

Member JamesOttawa's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by OUMag View Post
    hey i have the 5.7L hemi, i was looking for a CAI and was wondering what you guys though was the best one? what does everyone have and what do you like about it?
    Depends on your priority.
    Performance... Looks... Cost... whether you want (warm) engine bay air or (cooler) outside air...
    Last Mod (2016/05): BBK Silver Ceramic Shorty Headers, Phase 2 Motortrend Red Intake Clamps
    Of course I don't look busy... I did it right the first time!
    Vehicle: 2006 Magnesium R/T
    I'm a philanthropist... I just don't have any money!
    Hemi Registry: #1509 (2011/02)
    The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!