Seeking advice before buying 05 Magnum

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.


Results 1 to 8 of 8




  1. #1
    Newbie Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3

    Seeking advice before buying 05 Magnum

    Hello,

    I'm new here but hoping to become a regular once I get my car, which brings me to my question. I was just offered an 05 Magnum with 44,000 miles on it, 1 owner, paint and body in near perfect condition. Interior is in even better shape. And the owner is asking $3000. The car is owned by a local shop owner who has a very solid reputation for great and honest work. All the local hot rod guys trust him above everyone else to work on their cars. So i'm comfortable and confident in buying from him. My dad actually takes his vette there. My dad is actually who told me about the car. Initially he thought that the guys wife owned the car.

    Turns out, the car was brought in by a customer with the brakes (all 4 wheels) locked up. I'm not exactly sure what the full story is on that, but the shop owner made the guy an offer for the car and this guy took it and sold him the car. So if I purchase the car, I will be the 3rd owner. The shop owner promises me he will fix the brakes and has decided to replace everything brake related whether it needs it or not since my dad is a long time customer and he knows I will be the owner. He is also going over every inch of the car and replacing all fluids, plugs, obviously brakes, etc. He said that when the car is ready for us to test out and purchase, he promises it will be in perfect working order and in the best shape it has been in since it was new. He thinks the car sat for a little while so that is why he wants to check everything over from bumper to bumper.

    My biggest question is, has anyone else encountered one of these cars with the brakes completely locked up after sitting for a little while (we have no idea how long it sat. Months, years, who knows) and is the $3000 price for an 05 with 44,000 original miles too good to be true? This car literally looks like it has been sitting in a showroom. I am really nervous that there is something really wrong with it for this price. It just seems way too good to be true. Any and all advice and input is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks everyone!
    Reply With Quote
     
  2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Newbie Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3
    I assume it’s an r/t so I say go for it.
    Reply With Quote
     
  4. #3
    Newbie Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    12
    nice keep it up
    Reply With Quote
     
  5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Newbie moparleo's Avatar Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Moreno Valley California near Riverside
    Posts
    11
    I have seen it many times. Cars would be towed in with brakes locked up and Most of the time the customer had a recent oil change done at a quick lube place like Jiffy-lube. Trans fluid put in master cylinder by accident. This would cause every thing in the brake system that was rubber to swell. Master cylinder seals, caliper seals, brake hoses, ABS seals...etc... major parts replacement.Using quality parts and labor well over a grand. If it is an R/T also expect to start looking for replacement cylinder heads as the early years have valve seat problems, (falling out of the heads causing cylinder head, piston damage. Now the problem has been fixed.) Ask me how I know. I was shopping for heads when mine failed at 54K This I a Fact. Otherwise I love my 06 R/T. Only wish that I had an SRT now. Sounds like a vey good deal. If it is an SXT...I old pass.
    Reply With Quote
     
  7. #5
    Newbie Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote: Originally Posted by Elvikingo View Post
    I assume it’s an r/t so I say go for it.
    It's the 5.7 but not the R/T at least not that I noticed. I only saw it briefly. It is in the process of being fixed now and then the shop owner is changing all fluids before selling it to me since he is good friends with my dad. He said he is going to drive it himself for a few days to make sure everything is in perfect working order.
    Reply With Quote
     
  8. #6
    Newbie Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote: Originally Posted by moparleo View Post
    I have seen it many times. Cars would be towed in with brakes locked up and Most of the time the customer had a recent oil change done at a quick lube place like Jiffy-lube. Trans fluid put in master cylinder by accident. This would cause every thing in the brake system that was rubber to swell. Master cylinder seals, caliper seals, brake hoses, ABS seals...etc... major parts replacement.Using quality parts and labor well over a grand. If it is an R/T also expect to start looking for replacement cylinder heads as the early years have valve seat problems, (falling out of the heads causing cylinder head, piston damage. Now the problem has been fixed.) Ask me how I know. I was shopping for heads when mine failed at 54K This I a Fact. Otherwise I love my 06 R/T. Only wish that I had an SRT now. Sounds like a vey good deal. If it is an SXT...I old pass.
    Oh wow, thanks for the info. That was very helpful. I'll keep this post updated as I learn more. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.
    Reply With Quote
     
  9. #7
    Newbie Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6
    Having a brake lock for a while is not really an issue. I guess your main problem should just be the engine.
    Reply With Quote
     
  10. #8
    Newbie Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2
    Quote: Originally Posted by R0n1n View Post
    It's the 5.7 but not the R/T at least not that I noticed. I only saw it briefly. It is in the process of being fixed now and then the shop owner is changing all fluids before selling it to me since he is good friends with my dad. He said he is going to drive it himself for a few days to make sure everything is in perfect working order.
    Welllll,

    If it's a 5.7 it's a HEMI. Great score there. Watch the valves - that's a pretty good indication right there why it's only got 44k on the clock. The dash illumination likes to fail, several fixes for that. I went with the "glowing" dash overlay on mine - excellent fix with the least amount of BS. You will....more than likely....end up replacing all the front arms sooner than later. The arms have weak bushings where they connect to the frame and will be toast soon. Not to worry - you can literally get complete front end kits on eBay reasonable and that will end all front problems. And not that difficult to change in the driveway actually so that's something.

    If you have the navigation radio in '05 the screen will die....soon. It's not the screen, it's the NAV board inside that the screen is connected too. Check the JEEP forums as they have a fix. I got REALLY lucky - I found a head unit from an '07 with a cracked screen that I got for $35 (ebay) - switched the screens and all good.

    Yes, I am a CHEAP SOB, so I would NOT be driving the Mag if I thought it was a money pit. I got lucky (I think) - found an RT HEMI with AWD for $3500 and just LOVE the car. Did my due diligence - just as you are - and am ecstatic with the result. That was two years ago.

    I drive.....everywhere. 80 mile minimum 6 days a week. I pull a trailer on weekends. Best car I EVER drove in the snow (AWD on the LS platform is priceless). I get 20+ mpg, good enough for me given.......well, it's a HEMI. I couldda bough a crackerbox. I'll keep my HEMI thank you.

    Oh, BTW - this month it will turn 250k on the clock. So don't let the naysayers tell you those cars don't have legs. I expect to drive this car past 300,000 miles before I look for a different one.

    Good luck on your find. Keep an open mind - enjoy the ride - and don't be afraid to look for answers if something stumps you. I found out every answer I needed about the car with a little digging. Heck, I even found an actual OEM Service Manual online the other day.
    Reply With Quote
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •