SXT6's mods journal

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Member 2wheel's Avatar Array

SXT6's mods journal

Thought I would chronicle my attempts at mods on my Magnum here. It is a 2008 Dodge Magnum SXT with 6 cyl 3.5L engine and 4 speed automatic. It has a Touring suspension from the factory. This gave it 18" rims and rear anti-roll bar. Actually a Canada build and someone swapped the cluster for a MPH one.

before picture:

1. I started with the free ones. Removed the snorkel/muffler on the intake Air silencer removal

2. Next I redirected cold air toward the remaining intake from the radiator. XE Ryder's Chilly air intake mod

3. I undid the Blinker Modification! I read a thread that this may cause feedback for the rear tail lights and thus a problem for trailer wiring. See for problems : Blinker mod side effect??? Possible solution for about $30:MY alternative to the blinker mod...

4. Got a second antenna and modified the old antenna to bend down for a cargo box. https://www.custommagnums.com/forums/...urve-down.html
    SXT6's mods journal-antennasealed_zpse1310073.jpg

5. A new set of shocks/struts to replace the warn out ones. These were adjustable height. I got BC Racing coilovers. So I ended up dropping it about 1".

6. Tuner: DiabloSport inTune and changed it to the 93 octane tune. Yes it is a more expensive fuel but the engine requires 89 octane. I have a Costco nearby so no 89 there but 93. The 93 is cheaper than the 89 at other gas stations so why not.

7. With the BC Racing coilover install I also needed to quiet down the front suspension. New Mopar lower control arms, SPC adjustable upper control arms, and new outer tie rod ends. https://www.custommagnums.com/forums/...tml?highlight=

8. Rear load leveling air bags: rear Air Lift Air Spring kit

9. Got a "hidden" hitch. One of the original Mopars. That is now installed. Magnum hidden hitch

10. Grill block has been built. Details here.

11. Needed to finally tow with the hitch and picked up a few parts to get it all set. First the 90 degree adapter Mopar 82213549. Next needed something to raise up the 2" ball to proper height (18"?). Went to AutoZone and got Reese Towpower Adjustable Ball Mount (21141 or 70313) and a 2" ball (Reese 70083). bigjim in the "Magnum hidden hitch" thread ,Magnum hidden hitch - Page 4, welded a similar assembly together to eliminate play from all the joints. Probably a good idea but I don't tow much and plan to use a hitch mounted bike rack.

12. Wiring kit for Trailer installed (82209473AB 4-way). http://moparcarparts.com/instructions/82209473.pdf Want to go Mopar due to posts I've seen of aftermarket ones catching on fire. They are mounted inside the back so that can get really bad quick.

13. Big Bully 3.5L CAI intake. Finally got this. My stock intake broke a clip which allowed me to buy it.

Current image:

14. Fixed the recirculate door to fresh air. Door moving post keeps breaking so now I don't need to think about it.
    Last edited by 2wheel; 01-05-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Recirculate door broke
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Mods: Pin striping, Air silencer removal, XE Ryder's Chilly air intake mod, DiabloSport InTune, Mopar hidden hitch, BC Racing coilovers with rear Air Lift Air Spring kit, SPC upper front A-arms, winter grill block, Big Bully intake & catch can
    Hidden Content
    Future plans: R/T front brakes
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    That's a nice list you have going there!

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    Prothane & Whiteline bushing kit - BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Array
    Impressing list of mods you have there.

Hidden Content

MyHidden Content Cars:Hidden Content
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Sounds great ...PICS?
    Flowmaster American Thunder Exhauast, Universal Air Bags and Viair compressors, Hood Scoop, DeBadged,
    22" /265/35 Wheels and Tires, Painted-Eyelids, Tinted LED TailLights, Big Bully Catch Can, Strut Brace, DiabloSport Predator, 3G Goodies, Flameball Shift knob, Danko Reproduction Grill & Spoiler, Custom Made Splitter Plate, Prime Designs Hydrographics, Oracle Red Halo's. From Pennsylvania? Check out Pa. Modern Mopar Group on Facebook

Thank all.

Winter is hard to get good pics. Really the only visible one is the grill block and lowering. Follow the link to the grill block thread. Hmm. I suppose I could add a teaser image for some of them...
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Mods: Pin striping, Air silencer removal, XE Ryder's Chilly air intake mod, DiabloSport InTune, Mopar hidden hitch, BC Racing coilovers with rear Air Lift Air Spring kit, SPC upper front A-arms, winter grill block, Big Bully intake & catch can
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

pics added per your request. I will try to get a side shot again after a wash to show the current suspension height.
    Last edited by 2wheel; 01-12-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Added details on the Mopar "hidden" hitch and parts to get ready to tow.

Ordered a Big Bully CAI today. Checked the oil and one of the front clips was broke on the stock air box. Not sure how long that has been broke. At most a couple of weeks. I'm guessing. I was waiting on a sale from 3GCustoms but I'm not spending $150 for the stock assembly to fix it. Also got a spare filter so one can be cleaned and oiled while still able to drive the car. Hoping it comes quick.
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Member QbanCgar's Avatar Array
    by removing the "Air Silencer" what exactly does that do?

Quote: Originally Posted by QbanCgar View Post
    by removing the "Air Silencer" what exactly does that do?
    My experience: Helps the engine breathe giving better throttle response, a _little_ bit more power, and better sound.
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Member QbanCgar's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by 2wheel View Post
    My experience: Helps the engine breathe giving better throttle response, a _little_ bit more power, and better sound.

Gotcha. I may have to add this to my list of projects for my Mag this Summer. I will most like to this whenever I upgrade my fogs. Right now I'm waiting to address my "hyper" flash problem. I have load resistors on my rear turn signals, however they are only 25W. after doing some research I was told I would need resistors w/ 50W. Hopefully, they will be here tomorrow.

Senior Member Robgetsitsold's Avatar Array
    I love these threads, I started one when I saw TRUCKZILLA build thread.
    Looks good, but one Question.
    Curious, Why a grill block? What is the purpose? Increased temps, more fan usage?? Is it just so cold where you are?
    2005 RT
    Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back, K&N CAI, DIABLO CATCH CAN,
    JET 180 stat, Challenger 6spd motor mounts, Gates Racing Hoses, Taylor shorty wire conversion, Diablosport Trinity, CMR DIABLOTOONA tune, EGR DELETE, TRANZFORMER,
    Drake strut Brace, Painted Calipers with Dodge decals, Red LED Glow lights, Danko 1.25" shaved front spoiler, X Type eyelids, Trufiber Ram Air hood, De-moulded, Hurst shifter handle. Nitto NT420s 255/55/18, Eibach Pro-Kit finally lowered!

Hidden Content

Quote: Originally Posted by Robgetsitsold View Post
    Curious, Why a grill block? What is the purpose? Increased temps, more fan usage?? Is it just so cold where you are?
    Cold is part of it. The other is aerodynamics = fuel efficiency. So warm up was helped a lot in 20 degrees or less. From about 4 mile to full temps down to 2 or 2.5 miles. That means I can crank up the heat that much sooner.

Also with the huge grill blocked the air is not captured and driven into the engine compartment. Lots of drag that way. The air then has to go up and over the car. If you ever watch NASCAR racing they talk about front end tape. They block those grills as much as possible and peal off a little bit of tape to keep the engine from overheating. Our grill is big enough to cool the engine with 100+ degree outside temperatures. I very rarely have that in MI.

I have taken it off. Did that about a 1 month ago. This kind of mod needs lots of attention to engine temps though. You can't just put one on then ignore the engine temps. My wife drives this occasionally so I didn't want her to have to worry about it.

Still waiting on the Big Bully intake. Trying to get a idea of my wait time but 3GCustoms have not gotten back with with me. Getting a bit concerned.
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

added current photo to first post.
    So you don't have to scroll:
    SXT6's mods journal-sxt6close_zps4hzdivqp.jpg

08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Looks like I need to do the trailer wiring install. My dad's trailer is as wide as the Magnum and the tail lights are hidden. Ordered the Mopar kit. Found a thread on doing the 7-pin install:Installing a 7-pin trailer wiring harness Should be similar and unfortunately the pictures are gone. I'm a little concerned drilling into the body though. I need to go to Lowes to find the right size hole saw.
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Undid the blinker mod today. Still waiting on the Big Bully intake and waiting on Mopar 4-way trailer wiring. Should have the wiring on Monday. Hole saw has been acquired. Just need a nice day to do it next week.
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast