2006 Magnum 5.7L stalling quitting tried just about everything

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Newbie Array

2006 Magnum 5.7L stalling quitting tried just about everything

Ready to pull my hair out.

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T 5.7L 98k miles

Engine stalling (turning off)/stumbling at random times
    Problem was very intermittent at first, has become much more frequent

Over last year or two, engine would occasionally stall while making left turn only immediately after filling tank. Only happened once every few months.

May/June 2017 began experiencing stumble/hesitation at part throttle, along with poor gas mileage. Replaced EGR valve 6/21/17 (88418 miles) and issue went away.

January 2018 stall turning left on full tank happened multiple times, discovered this is a known issue with 2006 Magnum fuel tanks and is covered under extended warranty x53. Scheduled fuel tank replacement for 2/13/18 at dealer.

In early Feb, engine began stalling intermittently with tank less than full. Would usually restart immediately. No lights or codes except oil light after engine stopped.

Dealer replaced fuel tank 2/13/18 (97021 miles). Car stalled multiple times that day. Stall is getting much more frequent, now also sometimes includes engine running rough.

2/17/18 vehicle sometimes runs completely fine, sometimes stalls or runs very rough and stalls are so frequent vehicle is undriveable. Stalls now sometimes accompanied by ABS light, “lightning bolt” light, CEL. Sometimes throws code P0700 if I put it in neutral to restart engine. Other than that, no codes.

- Checked alternate key (no difference – not a failing key fob)

- Pulled fuse #11 for ~5 minutes to reset computer. No difference.

- Checked wiring; there is some rodent damage to #8 injector and coil wires; rewrapped with electrical tape. There is also pre-existing rodent damage to #4 injector wire that was wrapped July 2015. No difference.

Brought to mechanic:
    - Oil & filter change
    - Cleaned throttle body
    - Replaced spark plugs (Champion - RE14MCC4)
    - Replaced crank position sensor with Dodge OEM part (not aftermarket)
    - Dumped in a bottle of fuel system cleaner

Still had rough idle but didn't stall... for a couple weeks. Tried some other things that made no difference:

- Replaced cam position sensor with Dodge OEM part (not aftermarket)
    - Replaced PCV
    - Replaced fuel cap
    - Soldered in replacement wiring pigtail for #4 injector
    - Upgraded ground wiring

- Replaced ECU w/rebuild from ACE - no difference (still stalling)
    sent rebuilt unit back, reinstalled original

- disconnected vapor purge solenoid
    AHA! Stalling stopped. Still idled rough
    - ordered new EVAP canister and purge solenoid but have not installed them
    Put Techron in next tank refill
    Ran fine for ~3 weeks
    Now stalling at idle again. Purge solenoid is still disconnected (did not yet install new EVAP canister + solenoid). No codes.
    Pulled fuse #11, no difference.

I thought for sure it was fuel in the EVAP line when unplugging the solenoid stopped the issue. Except now it's back.

What have I missed? Maybe the replacement ECU from ACE was bad as well? They have not responded to requests for refund or replacement.
    Bad TCM?
    Timing chain?
    Vacuum leak?
    Bad injector?
    Bad coil?

What can I do to troubleshoot this further? I don't want to throw parts at it but the shop seems stumped as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Newbie Array
    I had a similar problem jus not with fuel..I had damaged spark plug wires nd wires to throttle body were smashed some how ..hope this helps

Newbie arrusnock's Avatar Array
    Hey Frank,

Does this happen on 1/2 tank too? I have the same issue with the full tank stall. I think you are on the money with the EVAP canister. My mechanic said just to not fill her up all the way. No issues since.

Another issue I had which was similar was my Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). Car would go on the fritz for no reason, finally died, replaced that, all good.

Located under the fuse box in the trunk. I think the mags have dome defective ones, or some moisture gets in there and jacks em up.
    Something to look at.
    Hidden Content 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD aka "The Hearse"

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Newbie Array
    Yes, happens regardless of fuel level now. Always at idle. Replaced the EVAP canister and purge solenoid and blew out the lines today, no difference. Folks at AutoComputerExchange have been very dense about the ECU I ordered from them (which exhibited same symptoms as my stock ECU), poor communication, no response to emails or snail mail, finally got someone on the phone and after a frustrating conversation requested they simply refund my money rather than sending a second replacement ECU. Taking the car back to my mechanic tomorrow, hoping he can figure it out.

Newbie Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by frankfilipanits View Post
    Yes, happens regardless of fuel level now. Always at idle. Replaced the EVAP canister and purge solenoid and blew out the lines today, no difference. Folks at AutoComputerExchange have been very dense about the ECU I ordered from them (which exhibited same symptoms as my stock ECU), poor communication, no response to emails or snail mail, finally got someone on the phone and after a frustrating conversation requested they simply refund my money rather than sending a second replacement ECU. Taking the car back to my mechanic tomorrow, hoping he can figure it out.
    had a similar problem with mine. 06 Magnum, 5.7 R/T turning right or accelerating. Similar story of "chasing my tail". It turned out to be a key switch.

Newbie Array
    Checked wiring; there is some rodent damage to #8 injector and coil wires; rewrapped with electrical tape. There is also pre-existing rodent damage to #4 injector wire that was wrapped July 2015. No difference.
    Rodents Suck! Those wires may be damaged. Might try replacing.

My SRT was doing a list of things like that and blowing codes for ECU and TCU, "Failure to Communicate". After a lot of digging, turned out to be that the alternator had an output stutter. Not enough to blow codes, but enough that the computers couldn't see each other for a split second.

Newbie Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by QuickdrawSRT View Post
    Rodents Suck! Those wires may be damaged. Might try replacing.

My SRT was doing a list of things like that and blowing codes for ECU and TCU, "Failure to Communicate". After a lot of digging, turned out to be that the alternator had an output stutter. Not enough to blow codes, but enough that the computers couldn't see each other for a split second.
    How did you track that down?

My mechanic replaced the ECU with another unit which resolved the problem... mostly. Still does it every few hundred miles.

I did have the alternator replaced early 2017, then battery replaced and alternator replaced again under warranty in October 2017. The alternator is a reman from the dealership.

I was curious about voltage drops as well - dug out an old cigarette lighter voltmeter I had and have been riding around with it in. Last few stalls it was reading 13.8v, well within "normal" range. That said, the voltmeter has a very slow response and might miss a momentary drop.

What did you do to find the alternator output stutter?

Newbie Array
    This is just a thought, but has the fuel pump and the filter been checked? I wonder if there isn't some kind of debris that is fouling the fuel pressure to the motor. the other thing I would do is to purge ad clean the fuel lines. good Luck.
    SKM

Newbie Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by frankfilipanits View Post
    What did you do to find the alternator output stutter?
    I found a really good mechanic! He was tenacious and just happened to have a VOM attached directly to the alternator or at the front power distribution box and saw the blip. He was checking to see if all three(?) computers where getting correct voltage.

"Voltage deficit disorders require a good twelve-volt program"