Ready to pull my hair out.
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T 5.7L 98k miles
Engine stalling (turning off)/stumbling at random times
Problem was very intermittent at first, has become much more frequent
Over last year or two, engine would occasionally stall while making left turn only immediately after filling tank. Only happened once every few months.
May/June 2017 began experiencing stumble/hesitation at part throttle, along with poor gas mileage. Replaced EGR valve 6/21/17 (88418 miles) and issue went away.
January 2018 stall turning left on full tank happened multiple times, discovered this is a known issue with 2006 Magnum fuel tanks and is covered under extended warranty x53. Scheduled fuel tank replacement for 2/13/18 at dealer.
In early Feb, engine began stalling intermittently with tank less than full. Would usually restart immediately. No lights or codes except oil light after engine stopped.
Dealer replaced fuel tank 2/13/18 (97021 miles). Car stalled multiple times that day. Stall is getting much more frequent, now also sometimes includes engine running rough.
2/17/18 vehicle sometimes runs completely fine, sometimes stalls or runs very rough and stalls are so frequent vehicle is undriveable. Stalls now sometimes accompanied by ABS light, “lightning bolt” light, CEL. Sometimes throws code P0700 if I put it in neutral to restart engine. Other than that, no codes.
- Checked alternate key (no difference – not a failing key fob)
- Pulled fuse #11 for ~5 minutes to reset computer. No difference.
- Checked wiring; there is some rodent damage to #8 injector and coil wires; rewrapped with electrical tape. There is also pre-existing rodent damage to #4 injector wire that was wrapped July 2015. No difference.
Brought to mechanic:
- Oil & filter change
- Cleaned throttle body
- Replaced spark plugs (Champion - RE14MCC4)
- Replaced crank position sensor with Dodge OEM part (not aftermarket)
- Dumped in a bottle of fuel system cleaner
Still had rough idle but didn't stall... for a couple weeks. Tried some other things that made no difference:
- Replaced cam position sensor with Dodge OEM part (not aftermarket)
- Replaced PCV
- Replaced fuel cap
- Soldered in replacement wiring pigtail for #4 injector
- Upgraded ground wiring
- Replaced ECU w/rebuild from ACE - no difference (still stalling)
sent rebuilt unit back, reinstalled original
- disconnected vapor purge solenoid
AHA! Stalling stopped. Still idled rough
- ordered new EVAP canister and purge solenoid but have not installed them
Put Techron in next tank refill
Ran fine for ~3 weeks
Now stalling at idle again. Purge solenoid is still disconnected (did not yet install new EVAP canister + solenoid). No codes.
Pulled fuse #11, no difference.
I thought for sure it was fuel in the EVAP line when unplugging the solenoid stopped the issue. Except now it's back.
What have I missed? Maybe the replacement ECU from ACE was bad as well? They have not responded to requests for refund or replacement.
What can I do to troubleshoot this further? I don't want to throw parts at it but the shop seems stumped as well.