Check Engine Light

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Newbie Array

Check Engine Light

My check engine light came on this afternoon, so I made a quick detour to O'Reilly's to get the code read. It came back as a stuck open thermostat. Does this sound plausible? Is the engine management system that smart, or is a sensor going bad?
    Excuse me if I asked a less than intelligent question. I ride motorcycles year round, and the Magnum sees very little use, (2006 w 80,000). I bought a new thermostat and will put it in this weekend. Is there something else I need to be on the lookout for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Robgetsitsold's Avatar Array
    You can check your codes by doing the key dance. Here is a vid I did a ways back. http://youtu.be/NCFVsZaTjiA
    If you do the tstat use the mopar coolant, and will need to burp the system, to get the air out. What model and engine?
    2005 RT
    Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back, K&N CAI, DIABLO CATCH CAN,
    JET 180 stat, Challenger 6spd motor mounts, Gates Racing Hoses, Taylor shorty wire conversion, Diablosport Trinity, CMR DIABLOTOONA tune, EGR DELETE, TRANZFORMER,
    Drake strut Brace, Painted Calipers with Dodge decals, Red LED Glow lights, Danko 1.25" shaved front spoiler, X Type eyelids, Trufiber Ram Air hood, De-moulded, Hurst shifter handle. Nitto NT420s 255/55/18, Eibach Pro-Kit finally lowered!

Hidden Content

Newbie Array
    Thank you for the reply. It's a 2006 SXT 3.5L V6. I guess the thermo may be stuck open. I took it for a little drive tonight and the temp gauge only went about half way to the normal running range. Once I do the replacement, will the computer clear the code on it's own or will I have to do something to clear it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

252.646.2160 Grille Master NC-SXT's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by mrcpope View Post
    Thank you for the reply. It's a 2006 SXT 3.5L V6. I guess the thermo may be stuck open. I took it for a little drive tonight and the temp gauge only went about half way to the normal running range. Once I do the replacement, will the computer clear the code on it's own or will I have to do something to clear it?
    Make sure you bleed the system of air completely (using the bleeder valve) . The Code will clear after a drive cycle (50-100 miles) if everything is good. You can clear it manually by pulling fuse #11 under the hood for a few seconds.

Senior Member Robgetsitsold's Avatar Array
    Yup what he said^^^^ make sure u bleed it!
    U can also disconnect the batt for a little to clear , but fuse 11 in the front should do it.
    2005 RT
    Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back, K&N CAI, DIABLO CATCH CAN,
    JET 180 stat, Challenger 6spd motor mounts, Gates Racing Hoses, Taylor shorty wire conversion, Diablosport Trinity, CMR DIABLOTOONA tune, EGR DELETE, TRANZFORMER,
    Drake strut Brace, Painted Calipers with Dodge decals, Red LED Glow lights, Danko 1.25" shaved front spoiler, X Type eyelids, Trufiber Ram Air hood, De-moulded, Hurst shifter handle. Nitto NT420s 255/55/18, Eibach Pro-Kit finally lowered!

Hidden Content

Newbie smsapi's Avatar Array
    Thank you