Charging problem

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Newbie Array

Charging problem

I have a 2006 magnum the alternator was check and tested good it runs long enough till the battery goes dead not sure wat to check next

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Newbie 1911sig's Avatar Array

Test it yourself with a multi meter.

Quote: Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    I have a 2006 magnum the alternator was check and tested good it runs long enough till the battery goes dead not sure wat to check next
    Hello, Take your Muti meter while the car is running and read the battery. If it is charging it should read somewhere between 13.7 to 14.7 volts dc. at idle. If it does your battery is probably bad, if it reads lower than that, your alt. is probably bad. With the car off the battery should read 12.6 volts or higher. Also check your wires for good connections.
    Hope that helps.

Newbie Array
    First person is right..check your battery or have it checked plus the battery connectors (negative frame too). If the battery is good check your charging voltage as stated. If that's good you may have what's called parasitic battery drain. Could be something as simple as the glove box light staying on. Once had this happen on a plane. Took me 3 days of dead batteries to figure out someone had turned on a courtesy light in he rear wired around the master switch for convenience. Look at the car in the dark..check for lights that shouldn't be on. Check out ErictheCarGuy video...https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT. Remember...always disconnect battery negative first and connect the negative last when reconnecting the battery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Newbie Array
    I assume it’s an r/t so I say go for it.

Newbie Array
    hope you will able to change it soon

Newbie smsapi's Avatar Array
    check your battery or have it checked plus the battery connectors

Array
    If the Alternator is checking good and the battery is going dead while driving, it sounds like an open connection between the front and back of the car.....Since the battery is in the back I would start by checking the red lead
    from the front to the back...If you can get hold of a voltmeter put it on the red and black under the hood and start her up... the voltage should jump to around 13.8 to 14.2 volts... if that does occur in the front, do the same at the battery in the rear... if it does not change the you have a open connection someplace...Good Luck
    2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS! One of 116 Built!!!!!