Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

New battery, alarm problem, ignition fuse fix?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ambassador 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just replaced the battery in my 2005 Magnum sxt today and the alarm started spazzing out. I tried unlocking, turning the key to the start position, turning the driver's door lock back and forth, etc....to no avail. The only thing that stops the alarm from spazzing out is when I pull the rear 15amp ignition fuse while the key is in the start position. This seems to reset the alarm.

But spazzing dash-lights-Horn-alarm freak-out comes back hours later when I try to enter the vehicle. So I pulled the horn fuse temporarily while I figure this thing out...

Of course I understand that unlock with a proper key fob or turning the ignition to start ought to disarm the alarm, but I also seem to remember reading somewhere years ago that I need to turn the key from LOCK to ON three times to disable the alarm. Is this true?

Has anyone experienced this issue, where the anti-theft system seems to take over intermittently?

#2 ·
Did you try turning the key from lock to on 3 times?
We had a problem with the antitheft system on our 1023 Caravan. I elected not to have the antitheft system on the car when we bought it, so the dealer deactivated it. A while later, the alarm would go off while the car sat in the drive way. It took a couple of trips to the dealer to finally get it disconnected completely. Since it was an option that we had chosen not to have activated, the disconnect was no charge.

#3 ·
Yes, thanks for your reply, and wow... I didn't even realize I was the one who posted about the valet mode on this thread a few years ago. So funny!

Apparently I had a similar problem then and put it into valet mode per the Mopar anti theft manual, but you can't even start trying to put it into valet mode if you aren't able to unlock/reset the system first, which happened this time— and none of the service folks at the 4 dealerships I called could help me solve this. Eventually, I came across a buried thread on some other site of a person with a minivan who thought to pull the ignition fuse. Still wouldn't work.

What eventually DID work was putting the key in the ON position before I pulled and reinserted the ignition fuse. That is what finally reset the alarm. Then, yes, I was able to put it into valet mode.

If this happens to you:
1.) Stop the blasting alarm by pulling the alarm fuse under the hood passenger side
2.) Set the key all the way to ON, not ACC
3.) While the key is in the ON position, pull the ignition fuse in the back by the battery to reset the system
4.) Turn the key from LOCK to ON three times to put the security system into valet mode
5.) Reply here to let me know we saved you a day or more of headache :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.