Clunking noise in front end

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Member s.wood's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by s.wood View Post
    Let me tell you , if you ordered aftermarket bushings and they are not the right size the noise will still be there...apparently after market states 3 different sizes, i put a pair on and the noise went away for a day then it started clunking on both sides. so i went to the dealer and bought a pair and the noise went away, ...its been a couple of months now....hope this helps
    good luck
    YOUNG FOREVER
    "LIFE IS FOR LIVING ,NOT LIVING UPTIGHT"

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Just this morning I took BLUE to the alignment shop to install both inner and outter tie rods both sides and had ONE Tension Strut that the bushing was so bad, it had elongated the hole in the arm so I just bought the whole tension strut and then it will be aligned!

Hidden Content

MyHidden Content Cars:Hidden Content
    2006 Magnum SRT8 "SHADOW"
    2005 Red Magnum R/T "LUCKY"
    2005 Blue Magnum R/T "BLUE"
    2006 Chrysler 300SRT "CHEETA"
    Plus have SEVERAL OTHER RIDES
    "Old Geezers LOVE cars Too!!!

Hemi Registry #864 2/15/08
    Jim

Senior Member viper3ez's Avatar Array
    lets make this fun

upper control arm is also a possibility

YouTube - Upper control arm clunk? (Dodge magnum)

althought this is the SPC adjustable
    Quote: Originally Posted by gr8crash
    on lxforums

Its like paying $6K for your girlfriend to get a great boob job, then meeting a girl that has better boobs that are natural, are you gonna complain cuz you paid $6k for boobs for an Ex that aren't as good as the one in your hand? I think not.
    see thread hereHidden Content

2005 Cool Vanilla Dodge Magnum RT - Gone
    2006 Silver Dodge Magnum SRT - Current Project

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post
    lets make this fun

upper control arm is also a possibility

YouTube - Upper control arm clunk? (Dodge magnum)

althought this is the SPC adjustable

That upper control arm "clunk" actually looked and sounded like bad tie rods.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    Prothane & Whiteline bushing kit - BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Member whome216's Avatar Array
    well hears a question for all will this issue cause vibrations (kind of like the wheel is going to fall off) or is that something else?

Array
    Anytime you have loose or worn suspension components, vibrations can be an issue.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    Prothane & Whiteline bushing kit - BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Newbie Array
    First time post here.

I googled "front end noise dodge magnum" and this thread came up. I replaced my sway bar bushings with new ones from Moog. The ones I replaced weren't cracked, but severely warped. As you can see by the photo, the original's hole is oval shaped.

Whole install took 20mins and only required a 13mm for the sway bar bracket and a smaller socket (I forget the size) to remove the guard.

I no longer have any noise when I happen over a pothole or manhole cover. Not sure what caused the warping (maybe just normal wear?), but I will be taking it in for alignment just to be sure everything is in order.

! BEFORE PURCHASING REPLACEMENT BUSHINGS PLEASE READ THIS !
    - My 06 R/T has the 1.06in thick sway bar, there is three sizes for magnums. 1in, 1.06, and 1.18.
    I assume it's 1in for base/SXT models
    1.06in for R/T and
    1.18in for SRT8.

Be sure to buy the correct size bushings as there is three sizes - if you aren't sure measure the sway bar with a set of calipers(most auto stores have them to borrow).

Thank you to everyone in this thread! Attachment 42554
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clunking noise in front end-2013-09-17-18.54.21.jpg  
    Last edited by BleedCubbieBlue; 09-18-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Member Array
    Needed this info

Newbie Array
    I have a 07 sxt i have replaced the upper and lower control arms the whole strut assembly still have the noise and vibration guess i will be replacing the bushings next. does anyone know what the correct diameter bushing that i need?

Member BigDaddyz-07Magnum's Avatar Array
    [QUOTE=s.wood;631587]I have been hearing a clunking noise in the car on the right side going over pot holes and so fourth,now i hear it on both sides..the clunk is annoyin..i took it to a front end shop and he said everything was tight..im reading other posts and people are saying sway bar bushings..which seems to be the cheaper way, and others are saying definitely tension struts..my question to that is "what are tension struts"? is it the struts itself..

How many miles on the car? I just had to replace my shocks,struts and the bushings were shredded. Clunking noise gone! LOL it only cost about $1100. Of course I had them lower it at the same time so that added about another $400 onto it!
    Love is..."when it's paid off,has over 100K miles and you want to keep it for ANOTHER 100k and MOD it out!"

-Eibach "PRO-SYSTEM" Shocks,struts,springs
    -Challenger Replica 20"x8.5" wrapped in GoodYear eagles.
    -DiabloSport intune 91oct
    -K&N cold air intake
    -RT bumper
    -Shaved front plate
    -RT Dual Exhaust
    -True XENON HID head and fog lamps
    -Van Chase "Joker" shift knob

Newbie Array
    137000 miles I drive a lot lol... I am gonna order the bushings and the sway bar links I just need the correct diameter on the bushings.

Senior Member el guapo's Avatar Array
    If it helps I have replaced my upper control arms twice since May (mevotech warranty....will NEVER use mevotech parts again btw), swaybar endlinks in May, inner & outter tie rod ends in early June, tension struts in September 2012 and again at the end of August this year (oddly enough they were mevotech), struts & shocks in September 2012 (only 25000kms on them), and all remaining bushings in April and I STILL have a clunking when I go over small bumps or manholes. To make it even wierder the clunk seems to be speed dependant with it being louder when moving slowly but feeling harder when travelling faster. At this stage the ONLY thing I can think of is a broken motor mount (REALLY hoping that isn't it) and I am actually going to the shop this afternoon for a full bumper to bumper inspection. Told the guy I want to know EVERYTHING that might be wrong with the car. Where does one start to look when EVERY moving part in the suspension have been replaced?
    I've got a mind that can steer me to your house,
    And a heart that can bring you red flowers.
    My intentions are good and earnest and true,
    But under my hood is internal combustion power.

Satan is my Motor - Cake

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” - Jack Handy

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

Newbie Array
    so far so good replaced the stabilizer links and bushings yesterday clunking noise has gone away. fyi the diameter of sway bar on a sxt is 1"

Senior Member Stormshadow757's Avatar Array
    From Norfolk, VA Da 757 to now D.C. metro area
    I have the 3.5L. I see rock auto on has raybestos brand bushings. I checked eBay and they have the moog ones, but the damn description doesn't even say what size they are or to which model magnum it fits. Can someone who has ordered these moog ones for sxt post the exact part number please?

I'm hoping this fixes my clunk on right side. I want to start simple/less costly first. If I replace these and clunk still there. Then I will move on. Will likely check tire for horizontal play to see if tire rods might be worn also. I'm pushing about 85,000 miles with nothing on suspension ever changed. Its about that time huh? Lol
    Last edited by Stormshadow757; 11-13-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Hidden Content 2008 Stone White Dodge Magnum SXT 3.5L
    MODS: Big Bully CAI, Flowmaster Super 44 series, new piping, exhaust resonator delete, custom steel honeycomb grill, SXT badge relocated, Cuda Strobe Stripes, Debadged, Demoulded, Tint All The Way Around, airbox silencer delete, lower radiator baffle delete, chrome door handles
    FUTURE: JBA Shorty Headers, Diablo Predator, Oracle CCFL halo's, custom taillights, Eibach Prokit Plus

Senior Member Stormshadow757's Avatar Array
    From Norfolk, VA Da 757 to now D.C. metro area
    just today im finally getting around to ordering new sway bar end link for right side. the moog problem solver one with grease fitting.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...php?pk=1377897

better late than never..lol hopefully this will fix my clunk sound as we nailed it to my right side being bad. checked it while raised in the air.
    Hidden Content 2008 Stone White Dodge Magnum SXT 3.5L
    MODS: Big Bully CAI, Flowmaster Super 44 series, new piping, exhaust resonator delete, custom steel honeycomb grill, SXT badge relocated, Cuda Strobe Stripes, Debadged, Demoulded, Tint All The Way Around, airbox silencer delete, lower radiator baffle delete, chrome door handles
    FUTURE: JBA Shorty Headers, Diablo Predator, Oracle CCFL halo's, custom taillights, Eibach Prokit Plus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast