Clunking noise in front end

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Member jayson3st's Avatar Array
    Just replaced my stabilizer bars yesterday and it got rid of my clunking and rides a lot smoother. $35 fix

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by jayson3st View Post
    Just replaced my stabilizer bars yesterday and it got rid of my clunking and rides a lot smoother. $35 fix

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    For $35...I assume you mean the bushings?

Member jayson3st's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by Bobby Joe View Post
    For $35...I assume you mean the bushings?
    no sir. I got both of em for $35 on ebay brand new and it made a huge difference. Took like an hour to do both of them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by jayson3st View Post
    no sir. I got both of em for $35 on ebay brand new and it made a huge difference. Took like an hour to do both of them.

Killer!! What brand?

Newbie Array
    New to this site, just thought I'd chime in. I had this same problem.......I bought my Magnum a few years ago used from a dealer. I also purchased an extended warranty for an extra few bucks added to the payment. I started hearing a lot of noise from the front over normal bumps in the road. I went back to the dealer one month shy of the warranty expiring, about 80K miles. They replace just about the whole front suspension, struts, control arms, ball-joints. All I paid was the $100 deductible!! The sway bar bushings were also shot, and for some weird reason that was NOT covered by the warranty, so I thought I would put them on myself. I got the cat back and the clunk was still there. I looked up the bushings and even the top of the line ones seen pretty cheap. It should be an easy fix (when the weather gets a little better!). Darkman

Newbie Array
    New to this site, just thought I'd chime in. I had this same problem.......I bought my Magnum a few years ago used from a dealer. I also purchased an extended warranty for an extra few bucks added to the payment. I started hearing a lot of noise from the front over normal bumps in the road. I went back to the dealer one month shy of the warranty expiring, about 80K miles. They replace just about the whole front suspension, struts, control arms, ball-joints. All I paid was the $100 deductible!! The sway bar bushings were also shot, and for some weird reason that was NOT covered by the warranty, so I thought I would put them on myself. I got the cat back and the clunk was still there. I looked up the bushings and even the top of the line ones seen pretty cheap. It should be an easy fix (when the weather gets a little better!). Darkman

Newbie Array
    So i have a 05 magnum rt awd. No checm engine lights on. When im driving down the road at any speed but a constant speed and i barely hit the gas to accelerate a little the car starts shaking. When it does that i just push thr peddle down farther and it goes away until i run a constant speed again and just ease in the gas. Anyone know what that could be?

Newbie Ghostsoldier's Avatar Array
    Hey fellas,

New to the site here myself; just bought a 2005 RT 5.7 about 2 months ago, and the car has just started making creaking/clunking noises in the front end. I just found this forum and thread during a search, so I'm going to do some checking this Tuesday afternoon when I get off of work, to see exactly what the problem's are.

Thanks for all the insight!

Rob

Newbie Array
    I have an '07 Sxt ( 68,000 miles) with the chronic clunking in the front end that is driving me nuts. At 20,000 miles I had a nasty clunking noise in the front end when turning. Dealer replace inner and outer tie rods and steering rack under warranty and that fixed the issue. Now a clunk has developed in the left front that sounds as if the shock is loose. I replace the sway bar bushings and links with parts from RockAuto. Still clunking along. Inspection of the bushings at all other points has not revealed anything as of yet. As much as I like my car, I have never owned a vehicle that has had so many front end suspension issues. Couple that with a CEL for an O2 sensor .....don't get me started.

Newbie Ghostsoldier's Avatar Array
    I was coming home from work last night, when I heard a loud "pop" from the front end, and severe clunking when I turn left...I crawled under the ramped car this morning, to see this:

Clunking noise in front end-imag4358.jpgClunking noise in front end-imag4359.jpg

Apparently, the top bolt of the sway bar bracket left town, causing the heat shield, bracket and bushing to swing down and dangle, almost falling out; I've got a set of Moog poly bushings I'm going to put in today.

I don't have any illusions that this will solve all my noise problems, but at least it will fix this catastrophic issue, lol.

Rob
    Save
    Last edited by Ghostsoldier; 11-18-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    2005 Magnum RT - 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Bluesmobile - 2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC N* - 1962 Ford Falcon 2-door Ratwagon - 1943 Ford GPW

Newbie Array
    I have the clunking too. Originally I could kind of feel the clunking under my feet. Replaced the swaybar bushings and linkages and seemed to do it. Clunk is back now. I don't seem to feel it as much under my feet now. But, I had heard you could check the swaybar bushings by disconnecting the linkages and driving, just don't get crazy with the curves, etc.

So, thought I would do that as that is an easy fix if that is what it is.

I just did the upper control arms this summer, and they seem tight and the boots look good on them.

Suspecting it might be the tension strut bushings. Can they have new bushings pressed in or do you have to replace the whole arm?

Other thing I thought is maybe the lower ball joints? Never been done on the car (196K miles) so far as I know. Maybe it is time.

Doing the lowers I would suspect you need at least an alignment check after replacing. What about the tension strut, does that require and alignment? Does not seem to have any adjustments on it so guessing not.

Member 2wheel's Avatar Array
    Use this link to diagnose your clunking. No removing stuff and driving necessary. I did this and after replacing the items i found my clunking was gone. You need a friend to turn the steering wheel while you are listening under the car.
    https://www.custommagnums.com/forums/...tml?highlight=

You will need an alignment if you replace anything suspension arm/ tension strut related. They all work together to position the front wheels.
    08 SXT 3.5L RWD
    Mods: Pin striping, Air silencer removal, XE Ryder's Chilly air intake mod, DiabloSport InTune, Mopar hidden hitch, BC Racing coilovers with rear Air Lift Air Spring kit, SPC upper front A-arms, winter grill block, Big Bully intake & catch can
    Hidden Content
    Future plans: R/T front brakes
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Newbie Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by 2wheel View Post
    Use this link to diagnose your clunking. No removing stuff and driving necessary. I did this and after replacing the items i found my clunking was gone. You need a friend to turn the steering wheel while you are listening under the car.
    https://www.custommagnums.com/forums/...tml?highlight=
    Awesome! Thanks.

Member 6pack's Avatar Array
    I have been having the clunk for about six-nine months now. Ended up replacing the upper control arms, whose ball joints were going bad. That seems to have solved it for me.
    2006 Silver SRT8, 6.1 car 1212 of 2970
    2007 Black H3, supercharged

Member Array
    IVE replaced it all and I still have clunking over ripples, not speed bumps opr dips, RIPPLES. Local Garage says that my KYB shock/strut mounts are the problem. Anybody have this ?

James

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast