Clunking noise in front end

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Newbie MagnumMaine's Avatar Array
    ive read all the postings and i have changed stabilizer links, upper control arms, strut tension, lower control arm, struts and springs, tie rod ends (outer) and still have clunk....i can say last pieces that need to be changed are lower ball joint, inner tie rod and stabilizer bushing. So I know the feeling of trying to get that clunk to go away....BTW I did all the work myself..have a shop and have never had a vehicle with such front end problems

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member 6pack's Avatar Array
    Could it be a support cross-member somewhere? I had a clunk in my H3, and it has a cross-member at the rear of the engine with a big bushing in it. When I rebuilt my engine, we noticed that the bushing had disintegrated and the whole cross-member would move up and down. Just a thought.
    2006 Silver SRT8, 6.1 car 1212 of 2970
    2007 Black H3, supercharged

Newbie Array

SmileSwaybar BUSHINGS not links

Just wanted to let people know going through this Dodge Magnum / LX platform front end clunking problem as I have, that it was completely cured with new swaybar BUSHINGS.. Earlier I had replaced inner and outer tie rods, swaybar LINKS and the clunking never subsided when going over bumps etc. After reading this forum and a few others I decided to give the swaybar bushings a try. The mechanic who originally inspected the vehicle said they were in great shape and didn't need to be replaced. When I picked up the car, he showed me the old ones and commented they looked fine to him and the replacement probably didn't solve my problem. Well he was wrong. My 2005 Dodge Magnum RT is riding as quiet as my granddaddy's 75' Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Tip Top Magoo!

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T 5.7 RWD

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Newbie Array
    I had the same problem, start replacing the sway bar bushings and end up replacing the lower ball joints, that cure the clunking and all noises, in the process I also replace the links, tension rod, lower control arm and the top control arm.

Also since I was there also replaced the inner and outer tie rods.

I must say that replacing the lower ball joints was a bear, I rented a ball joint service tool but I had to heat it with a torch to het it to start moving.

Next time I would use a machine shop for the ball joints, everything else wasn't that hard.

Now the car drives like a new car and the steering is tight like a young lady ?.

Also new shocks, struts and hubs. Yes this is my baby.

Newbie Array
    Just to let you know, when heating the ball joint, it exploded, on the next one we cut the boot and removed as much grease as posible, regard less it exploded as well. We almost soil our pants.

Newbie Array
    My Maggie had a lot of play in the steering and a clunk when turning or hitting potholes. I took it to get alianed and they said they tightened some bolts. It fixed the issue but now it's back. I'm on a budget so need to do the work myself but dnt know where to start ,please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Newbie Array
    My '07 had only 60K miles on it in 2018 when I parted with it. Really liked the car but after 50K the front end started making it's noises. Read thru the forums and started changing out parts & bushings that I could do in my garage, but it was still clunking. Between that and O2 Sensor wiring issues it was bunch of heartache I wasn't about to spend any more money on. So, I sold her. Got 10 years out of her anyway.

Newbie Array
    Start with the ball joints.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234