Magnum has the shakes...still

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Member JamesOttawa's Avatar Array
    One thing not mentioned here, but...
    Check to see if any of the wheel balancing weights have fallen off.
    Or just get the wheels rebalanced. It's cheaper than replacing parts.
    It's also possible that the "cords" in one of your tires has broken.
    This happened to me once and it threw off the balance of the wheel.
    A wheel out of balance could (possibly) cause the symtoms you have described.
    Last Mod (2016/05): BBK Silver Ceramic Shorty Headers, Phase 2 Motortrend Red Intake Clamps
    Of course I don't look busy... I did it right the first time!
    Vehicle: 2006 Magnesium R/T
    I'm a philanthropist... I just don't have any money!
    Hemi Registry: #1509 (2011/02)
    The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by stingrayj View Post
    I did not do that with this last set. I just ordered the new brakes and installed them.

The vibration was present between 35-60mph (the fastest I went). When I slowed down enough (below 35) the vibration faded out. As soon as you accelerated again it came back. It's not something that just appears and disappears. It gradually gets worse and better. If you are braking while it is shaking and you come to a stop, you can feel the car slightly nose diving as if the brakes are pulsing, but you can not feel any pulsing in the brake pedal. The brakes were quiet the entire trip too.

I can jack the car up quick and do the spin check when I get home later.
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the steering rack. Also......The first time I replaced my inner tie rods, I used Moog parts from Rockauto. They went bad in less than 3,000 miles.....BOTH OF THEM!...WTF!!!
    Check your tie rods.....Again!

As James mentions above.....It can't hurt to have your wheels balanced.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    Prothane & Whiteline bushing kit - BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Quando omni flunkus moritati. stingrayj's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by JamesOttawa View Post
    One thing not mentioned here, but...
    Check to see if any of the wheel balancing weights have fallen off.
    Or just get the wheels rebalanced. It's cheaper than replacing parts.
    It's also possible that the "cords" in one of your tires has broken.
    This happened to me once and it threw off the balance of the wheel.
    A wheel out of balance could (possibly) cause the symtoms you have described.
    I was thinking about the wheel weight possibility, but that would be a constant vibration. That is not something that will correct itself while driving at 55mph with the cruise control on. I have had wheels out of balance before so I know it can be bad, but this feels much worse.

As for the broken cord...I stopped rotating the tires once I noticed the tires were wearing on the outside edges. I figured if they are going to wear out I'd rather just wear out 2 tires rather than 4. So, the odd tire wear may also be an issue here. I'm not sure how bad a broken cord can be or just how it will behave, but is it something that can come and go like it is?

The part of all of this that is driving me insane is the fact that it get worse and then it gets better. Every other vehicle issue I have ever had has steadily degraded in such a way that the symptoms were easily repeatable and consistent. This thing is just toying with me until I crack.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Quote: Originally Posted by Fireman2118 View Post
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the steering rack. Also......The first time I replaced my inner tie rods, I used Moog parts from Rockauto. They went bad in less than 3,000 miles.....BOTH OF THEM!...WTF!!!
    Check your tie rods.....Again!

As James mentions above.....It can't hurt to have your wheels balanced.
    Same here. The first time I replaced the inner and outer tie rods I used Moog parts from Rock Auto. I believe it was even your suggestion. lol! This time I only had the inners replaced and used NAPA Chasis components. We'll see if they hold up any better. And, yes, both of the inner Moog tie rods were bad. I guess they just don't make them they same as they used to.

The car has roughly less than 1000 miles on it since the inners were replaced. And I did check them when I put the brakes on yesterday. No slop at all.

How does a steering rack go bad? How can you check it? I can only imagine that is expensive.

Hemi? Noooooooo! gangster wagon's Avatar

Array
    Well if you have good tires on the back and bad ones on the front. Just switch them and see what happens won't hurt or cost you any thing.

I taught I taw a puddy tat.... Steves05RT's Avatar
    Array
    Stingray, I had a very similar shaking myself last fall. It would shake at highway speeds and when I applied the brakes the shaking increased noticably. I had done all the things you did but it did not solve the problem. I finally decided that the front struts must be the problem. I replaced both front struts, tension struts, sway bar bushings and had it aligned and she has been shake free ever since. Once you try the sway bar bushings, you might consider new front struts. I know it is a little costly but it solved my shake.
    Last edited by Steves05RT; 01-30-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Quote: Originally Posted by gangster wagon View Post
    Well if you have good tires on the back and bad ones on the front. Just switch them and see what happens won't hurt or cost you any thing.
    This is true. Will have to add this to my "to check/try" list.

Quote: Originally Posted by Steves05RT View Post
    Stingray, I had a very similar shaking myself last fall. It would shake at highway speeds and when I applied the brakes the shaking increased noticably. I had done all the things you did but it did not solve the problem. I finally decided that the front struts must be the problem. I replaced both front struts, tension stuts, sway bar bushings and had it aligned and she has been shake free ever since. Once you try the sway bar bushings, you might consider new front struts. I know it is a little costly but it solved my shake.

So your shaking would come and go too? The tension struts are a big ? in my mind. I'm really not sure what specifc role they play in the suspension and I know that they have seen better days. I've done the "bounce test" before and the struts act normally doing that. Is that not a sufficient test? The sway bar bushings are something that I haven't even looked at yet.

Any idea how much all of that cost you?

I taught I taw a puddy tat.... Steves05RT's Avatar
    Array
    My shake didn't really come and go but it definitely was worse some times than others. I had the work done by a local shop and I think the total was $950 parts and labor. Which was really painful because I would have rather lowered her with coilovers...damn.
    Last edited by Steves05RT; 01-30-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quote: Originally Posted by Steves05RT View Post
    My shake didn't really come and go but it definitely was worse some times than others. I had the work done by a local shop and I think the total was $950 parts and labor. Which was really painful because I would have rather lowered her with coilovers...damn.
    Ouch! Any idea how much it would be just for the tension struts?

I've been reading a lot about the tension struts trying to understand just exactly what they do and how they act when they go bad. It seems that most people notice that they go bad when the ball joint end wears out. This results in some sort of rattle or clunk sound. I have neither. However, the bushings on the other end are both torn for sure. The tear is from the bottom to the top half way around. Would this allow the tires to toe in and out going down the road?

In addition to all that has been said, my car has been very difficult to properly align for a long time. I've watched people do the alignment and saw the readings only to bring it right back up on the rack and show out. I just had the alignment done with the tie rod replacement and now the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left and the car goes right (more than just road crowning). I believe that this will be my next step. Since the alignment is not right anyway, I am planning to talk to my mechanic tomorrow about what it would cost to replace the tension struts first.

I see that there are a number of aftermarket suppliers of the tension struts and I read a lot about Mopar redesigning the tension struts for 2009(?). So, what is recommended for a replacement? Go with the Mopar brand or something aftermarket?

Array
    I paid $45 bucks a piece for my tension struts and easy switch if the ball joint doesn't give you hell. I had to take the rotors and dust shield to get a pickle fork on them and a good wack with the hammer. I just replaced both those and both inner and outers plus struts and shock. cost was around $650+. Doing it myself saved about a $1000 in labor. But i never had the shakes so don't know if this will help but i havn't been over 35 mph yet after the change. (knock on wood)

Array
    This is where i got mine i didn't have alot of funds to play with and got the Dorman brand. Are they good only time will tell.
    RockAuto Parts Catalog

Thanks for all of the input from everyone.

I've done some more reading and a little more driving and concluded that the source of the shake is the torn bushings in the tension struts (aka lower control arms). I am planning to purchase the Mevotech brand from Rock Auto. I've never had anything from Mevotech and was wondering if they are any good? Or should I buy revised Mopar brand tension struts?

Array
    Magnum still has the heebie jeebies, huh ?
    Just slam it.

Senior Member el guapo's Avatar Array
    Don't know if this is the issue or not but what you've described sound a LOT like the "death wobble" MANY jeep owners have reported over the years and from what I understand it is made worse with larger wheels. I do know one person with a jeep that had this and literally almost died from it.

I found this and hope it helps.

Death Wobble and How To Cure it
    I've got a mind that can steer me to your house,
    And a heart that can bring you red flowers.
    My intentions are good and earnest and true,
    But under my hood is internal combustion power.

Satan is my Motor - Cake

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” - Jack Handy

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast