Magnum has the shakes...still

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Senior Member el guapo's Avatar Array
    And this too:

Death Wobble !
    I've got a mind that can steer me to your house,
    And a heart that can bring you red flowers.
    My intentions are good and earnest and true,
    But under my hood is internal combustion power.

Satan is my Motor - Cake

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” - Jack Handy

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Quando omni flunkus moritati. stingrayj's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
    Don't know if this is the issue or not but what you've described sound a LOT like the "death wobble" MANY jeep owners have reported over the years and from what I understand it is made worse with larger wheels. I do know one person with a jeep that had this and literally almost died from it.

I found this and hope it helps.

Death Wobble and How To Cure it
    Thanks! That was an informative read and kind of sounds like the path I am taking in diagnosing this vibration.

I took the car back to my mechanic yesterday and talked to him about what has happened since the inner tie rod replacement. He took it for a test drive and put it right up on the lift when he got back. Before he got the car in the air he said that it felt like the lower control arms were bad. The bushings looked even worse in the air. They may have just torn more with the vibration getting worse. He said that the alignment seemed fine, but it feels off to me.

At this point, I am waiting to hear what the price would be for parts and labor to swap out the lower control arms (aka tension struts).

Some additional points from driving on the highway yesterday:
    It was shaking scary bad on the way to work. I had it up to 55 mph just to stay out of the way a bit, but it didn't like it at all. On the way home, I jump on the highway within 1 mile from work and had it up to 70 mph with no vibration at all. It ran great up to the first stop light. When I pulled away, it was shaking badly again. I didn't go over 50 mph after that. After about 10-15 miles of shaking, it smoothed out again. Just as I got the shop it started shaking slightly. How is this possible?!

I sure hope the tension struts fix the issue because this thing is driving me nuts!

From your last link:

DW can be due to a number of things, lift height is not one of those. Here are a list of causes of DW:

1) Worn out tie-rod or draglink ends
    2) Worn out steering stabilizer
    3) Warped front rotors
    4) Worn out lower control arm or trackbar bushings
    5) Loose suspension bolts/components (LCA bolts, trackbar bolts, trackbar bracket)
    6) Wheels out of balanced
    7) Tire tread uneven
    8 Alignment out of whack
    9) Improper driveline angles due to improper caster

From my experience:
    1) Just replaced inners. Outers are still good.
    2) Same as tension strut? I believe this is the problem...for now. Will be the next to be replaced.
    3) Just replaced this past weekend.
    4) The "actual" lower control arm (not tension strut) looks fine.
    5) Bolts are tight. Checked by mechanic when inner tie rods replaced.
    6) Wheel balance is fine. Not checked on a machine, but the vibration that I am getting is different that what this would cause.
    7) Both front tires have worn towards the outer edges. The driver's side is worse. This may very well be contributing to the problem.
    8) I believe that the alignment is still off slightly, but the bad control arms could be affecting this too.
    9) Should be checked as part of the alignment...I think. Should be okay.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Array
    Drive Shaft?????? U joints?
    2008 R/T/R, 100hp ZEX system, LED tails, Stealth bulbs, DUAL color interior lights, lockpick, rear camera, Digital TV,
    PAPPAJOHN Shifter, Karl's Kustom Plate, BlastinBob 6db kit, BigBully CAI, 8000K DDM Lows and Fogs,
    3G ABS, RAD, Firewall Covers, NC-SXT Grill, Diablo, KILLERGLASS, Wheel well lights,
    AIRBRUSHED ENGINE COVER, Painted Calipers, 100HP NITROUS! One of 116 Built!!!!!

Member FiveAces's Avatar Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by Radglenn View Post

I'm by no means an expert but I had a crazy shake from a very slightly warped drive shaft on an old car.

Member jgreer69's Avatar Array
    I purchased Mevotech's all around on the front of my car. Over 6500 miles and they are still working well. Outer Ties and Tension Struts from Mevotech is good brand and the rubber boot is blue, which is pretty cool in my opinion. good luck
    Mods to date:
    1. Borla Cat-Back Dual Exit Exhaust
    2. Chrome Door Handles
    3. Tinted windows all around
    4. Predator Tuner
    5. Interior Accents Painted Black to match car.
    6. 2-12" Subs
    7. Debadged all around
    8. Front Billet Grill Inserts
    9. BT Catch Can
    10. Air Silencer Removed
    11. Big Bully Intake
    12. Billet Shifter from BT
    Future:
    1. JBA Shorty Headers
    2. 20" Wheels and Tires
    3. SRT Front Bumper w/ Inserts

Moddin' the Mag every chance I get!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Radglenn View Post
    Quote: Originally Posted by FiveAces View Post
    I'm by no means an expert but I had a crazy shake from a very slightly warped drive shaft on an old car.
    I'm gonna have to rule these out. I had a bad drive shaft bearing in my '95 Camaro that caused a vibration. That was very different from what I am feeling now. This vibration is definitely coming from the front wheels.

Is there any noise associated with the shaking? I had a somewhat similar issue with my old taurus although not quite as bad as what you've been going through. The culprit was a bad front right wheel bearing. My mechanic described it like this: one side of the bearing was good and would roll fine but the other side was "sticky" and would grab causing it to rotate with a jerking motion instead of a grinding manner. I was sure it was a warped rotor and sticking pads but even after a pad\rotor\caliper replacement there was no change. When I turned the wheel by hand I could feel it was nice a smooth through about 270° of rotation but the last 90° was tough even with two hands. With only the one wheel doing this it put the shakes into the car something fierce. But the reason I ask about noise is the bearing made a HORRIBLE noise when it would go over the bad spot.

Satan is my Motor - Cake

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” - Jack Handy

Quote: Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
    Is there any noise associated with the shaking? I had a somewhat similar issue with my old taurus although not quite as bad as what you've been going through. The culprit was a bad front right wheel bearing. My mechanic described it like this: one side of the bearing was good and would roll fine but the other side was "sticky" and would grab causing it to rotate with a jerking motion instead of a grinding manner. I was sure it was a warped rotor and sticking pads but even after a pad\rotor\caliper replacement there was no change. When I turned the wheel by hand I could feel it was nice a smooth through about 270° of rotation but the last 90° was tough even with two hands. With only the one wheel doing this it put the shakes into the car something fierce. But the reason I ask about noise is the bearing made a HORRIBLE noise when it would go over the bad spot.
    I have not noticed any noises associated with the vibration other than the some associated road noise as the wheels wobble. Recently, I did hear some faint rattling at certain times, especially with moderate-significant road bumps. I kind of wrote it off as my paranoia since every little noise or shimmy seems to be a problem right now. However, after seeing how bad the tension strut bushings were on the lift, I'm thinking it wasn't just in my head.

If the wheel bearings are going bad, shouldn't you get some wiggle in the tire? (Get the wheel off the ground. Grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle. Repeat at 6 and 12 o'clock.) The wheels were solid when I did my brakes this past weekend.

Has this RT ever been in a collision? Only wondering as I have a friend with an old ram truck that the drivers side wheels were 1" closer together than the pass after hitting a pole and having the frame straightened. It was aligned and although the wheels were "technically" true it always had a tendency to duck walk a bit and the more the driver would fight it the more wobbly it would become. Having all the wheels parallel is one thing but having them all square is another. Not sure if any of this helps...just grasping at straws here.

Satan is my Motor - Cake

Other than the "love taps" on both bumpers (2 seperate incidents of hit and run), this car has never hit anything other than a squirrel, chipmunk, and 8 birds. And, yes, that is an accurate count. I don't know what is with the Kamikaze, thrill seeking birds around here but every one that I hit bounced off of the windshield as they tired to dive bomb the hood. So, I can easily rule that one out.

I did get a call back from my mechanic about the tension strut service. They said that it would be about $754 for the parts and labor to swap them out. Now, I really do like this mechanic. They (there are 3 of them that run the shop) are really honest about the work that they do, and they do good work. But at $754, either there is more to this job that I realize, or there shop rate has really gone up. Anyway, I will be ordering a set from Rock Auto tonight and installing them myself.

Array
    I think you're going about this the best way possible. If the tension struts are bad, they need to be replacecd. Get those done and see if it doesn't take care of the issue.

'05 R/T

PPP stage 3 big valve heads - Howards cam 219/227 .600/.575 112 LSA (108 ICL) - PAC 1518 springs - forged pushrods - 6.1 lifters - 6.1 oil pump - 6.1 timing set - Modern Muscle stage 1+ ported 6.1 manifold
    & 85mm throttle body - 6.1 fuel injectors - 6.1 fuel rails - 25% UDP - Jet 180 tstat - LMI 4" true CAI - MSD "Blaster" coils - 8.2mm Taylor wires - JBA headers - JBA high flow mids - Corsa catback - Diablosport Intune
    Paramount series 55, stage 1 transmission, "Dominator" 3000 stall tc & stage II valve body - Tranzformer shift kit - B&M Hi-Tek transmission cooler - 226mm Getrag 3.91 LSD - BC racing coilovers - Eibach front & rear sways
    Prothane & Whiteline bushing kit - BWoody endlinks - Razors Edge strut bar - Wilwood big brake kit by TCE - W6A 6 piston front calipers on 14.25" 2 piece GT rotors - Dynapro 4 piston rear calipers on 13" 2 piece GT rotors
    Trufiber Challenger A58 carbon fiber hood - Vossen VVS-CV3 & Nitto 420s - 22" x 9" w/265/35/22 & 22" x 10.5" w/295/30/22 - tuning by Ditos motors ---- Hemi Registry #943

Hemi? Noooooooo! gangster wagon's Avatar

Array
    To get the balljoint end of the tension strut off and this is the only way i know how and easy. Take the rotor and dust shield off thats the only way to get a pickle fork in there. I beat on that thing for a good hour before the neighbor came over and suggested to do it that way and it popped right off. Unless someone has a better way. They are way easy to change and will save you 645 bucks.

Hemi? Noooooooo! gangster wagon's Avatar

Array
    Oya if you havn't ordered yet PM me i got a 5% discount code.

Quote: Originally Posted by gangster wagon View Post
    Oya if you havn't ordered yet PM me i got a 5% discount code.
    Already ordered from Rock Auto. Just short of $121 shipped...with a 5% discount code. lol! Thanks anyway!

Anytime I buy something online, I google for a discount code. I find some sort of discount about 75% of the time.

I went with the cheap shipping so the parts will be here some time next week. Hopefully by then, I will be done chiseling the car out of the block of ice it will supposedly be buried in. The weather is supposed to be pretty nasty here over the next several days.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast