tranny Help/question?

CustomMagnums.com is the premier Dodge Magnum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Newbie scorpio357's Avatar Array

tranny Help/question?

What I have (K&M CAI,Whiplash topmounted blower kit with HP tune and tranny tune, true dual 2.5 exhaust ). What 8 need to know is is the 5 speed nag1 swap the only option for the SXT 3.5L

2. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member Array
    For what you want to do, and with what your shop is willing to do, I think that a NAG1 swap is the only way to go. I would not trust the 42RLE with any sort of power upgrades. You are brave to attempt to run a supercharged V6 on a 4-speed.

it has a cooler installed. the 4speed is just in temporarily but I am hoping to get the swap soon
    I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CustomMagnums.com
    Advertisements

Member Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by scorpio357 View Post
    it has a cooler installed. the 4speed is just in temporarily but I am hoping to get the swap soon
    I would hope so, too.

Here's the part that failed out of my 4-speed, which prompted me to eventually swap in a 6-speed manual transmission.

This part is part of the rear carrier assembly, which is the part that transmits engine power through 2nd, 4th, and reverse. Part of this rear carrier assembly is still inside the transmission. The rear carrier assembly decided to shred itself apart into two major pieces, at about 221,500 miles on the odometer.

In the background, you can see the rear annulus, front carrier assembly, and a couple of large snap rings.

Here's a picture of a complete and unbroken rear carrier assembly. The part I am holding in my hand would be the bottom part of that assembly pictured below.

Hidden Content
    2005 Dodge Magnum SXT - 3.5L HO V6 - Hidden Content - 35 MPG or bust!

WOW do you have a link or any info that you can share on doing a 6 speed or is that swap just for the hemi guys? 6peed manual sounds promising / fun to drive @T VAGO

Member Array
    Quote: Originally Posted by scorpio357 View Post
    WOW do you have a link or any info that you can share on doing a 6 speed or is that swap just for the hemi guys? 6peed manual sounds promising / fun to drive @T VAGO
    Yep, the link is here:

Swapping an NSG370 6-speed manual transmission into my 3.5L V6 Magnum!

I do not support any V8 Magnums, as they have enough V8 support of their own. To the best of my knowledge, the V8 folk have never actually succeeded in swapping in a manual transmission. They apparently gave up trying, once the stick-shift V8 Challengers came out.
    Hidden Content
    2005 Dodge Magnum SXT - 3.5L HO V6 - Hidden Content - 35 MPG or bust!

cant wait to get this done. shop is ready too. how is the drivability? do you feel the torque better ? I'm picking through your vids and I'm subscribed lol

Member Array
    Well... Being as I can now fishtail on dry pavement, and experience wheel hop on an otherwise unmodified 3.5L V6, I'd say that I can feel the torque more clearly. You'd be surprised at how much power that 4-speed drains.

Not entirely sure that the NSG370 can handle the torque output of a supercharged V6, though... You may want to look at what the Jeep Wrangler folks are doing to beef up this transmission.

Watch how it shifts

https://youtu.be/j_MReV5UPmg
    Last edited by scorpio357; 11-30-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Member BelgiumBike's Avatar Array
    Now people will ask how much you charge for this service ?

I know it's been a while since I posted but I just wanted to update people on what's going on supercharger is still running good and strong . Engine is still running good no shaking no banging no Etc. I found out through researching my VIN number that my model is a little rare it was the last Model of that year that had the 5-speed Mercedes tranny so through tuning the transmission shift a little better but it's still not a full manual like I want I know of people putting the T56 transmission in there but the electronics is still an issue so I'll wait until someone finds that part out