Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First post here. I'm looking for a new family hauler as I've recently had twins (6mo old) and I've thought the Magnum is kind of cool. Not much of a fan of SUVs or minivans and Subaru's are boring, a little small, and as a part time mechanic I've changed a lot of head gaskets on those things. Anyways, just started looking at the Magnum.

I noticed that the listed MPG for the 5.7 hemi is pretty much the same as the v6s so why not have the extra grunt? I know that figure is entirely dependent on the right foot of course.

I have seen some 05 5.7s with blown motors and after doing some looking, it seems like there are quite a few 5.7 failures around that year in the Magnum, the 300, and the Durango and most have about 100k or so on the clock. Sounds like dropped valve seats and or thrown connecting rods are the culprit.

My question is, what year v8 engines out of what vehicles will swap into the v8 magnum with minimum headache, and are any engines more reliable? I would be okay with slightly more or less power and swapping intakes or something but I would like all the electronics to match up and have it run properly. I just want to find a decent running engine or if it's out of the vehicle I might pull the valve covers and oil pan to check it out, but I don't want to deal with a rebuild and I don't want to pay for a rebuilt engine.

Also, I don't really need a v8 as I already have a fun car (hopped up 65 mustang) are the v6 engines any more reliable?

Thanks guys!

·
Magnums Rule....
1,501 Posts
Welcome from Hershey Pa. In my opinion the 5.7 is a great engine, there is always going to be a percentage of engines that prematurely fail, In my car club the 5.7 is the most common and we have many with over 150k miles and going strong. The only engine i would think you could somewhat put in it's place is the 6.1 SRT engine, but still you better bring the PCM with you, maybe the 3.5 V6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure a 6.1 is going to be crazy expensive and swapping a V6 wouldn't be worth it. Modifying a v8 car to work with a v6 would end up costing way more and being way more of a headache than just getting a rebuilt 5.7

I'm looking for an interchange. The Chrysler 300 is pretty much the same car as the magnum so I'm pretty sure an 05 Chrysler 300 engine would work. What other year magnum/c300 engines would fit? 05-08? I'm looking for something like that. How about truck motors? Grand Cherokee? Durango? Will they work with only minor mods like swapping intake and oil pan? What years were there major changes and would it effect how it bolts bolts up? If the truck motors fit but are tuned differently and have a different cam, will they still run okay with the stock engine management? If not, will the ecu swap without needing to rip out the wiring harness?

I'm basically looking for a hemi geek to school me on the subject.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Your best bet would be to stick with the LX and LC type vehicles.
Magnum, 300, Charger, and Challenger.

·
Magnums Rule....
1,501 Posts
Any HEMI from 2005 to 2010, 300, charger and challenger would fit with out any modification

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any HEMI from 2005 to 2010, 300, charger and challenger would fit with out any modification

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. Locally, all I can find a deal on is an 07 Durango motor. Any idea how difficult it would be to make work? do the heads need to swap? Are the car motors dual spark plug and the trucks single?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sure a 6.1 is going to be crazy expensive and swapping a V6 wouldn't be worth it. Modifying a v8 car to work with a v6 would end up costing way more and being way more of a headache than just getting a rebuilt 5.7

I'm looking for an interchange. The Chrysler 300 is pretty much the same car as the magnum so I'm pretty sure an 05 Chrysler 300 engine would work. What other year magnum/c300 engines would fit? 05-08? I'm looking for something like that. How about truck motors? Grand Cherokee? Durango? Will they work with only minor mods like swapping intake and oil pan? What years were there major changes and would it effect how it bolts bolts up? If the truck motors fit but are tuned differently and have a different cam, will they still run okay with the stock engine management? If not, will the ecu swap without needing to rip out the wiring harness?

I'm basically looking for a hemi geek to school me on the subject.
Did anyone ever give you the answers to your questions ? I'm looking for a replacement motor for my 05 ram currently and from what I have gathered is that 03-06 will bolt up with my truck intake and oil pan etc. Internally they are identical from what I've found so far. I'm curious if you ever got more information

1 - 7 of 7 Posts