Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything that might help me figure out what our magnums problem is would be appreciated.
We've had ours for 10 days. Always wanted one. The problem was caused when my wife was entering a parking lot the other night. She didn't see the unpainted triangle curb obstruction that some idiot DOT planner thought was I good idea.
She had to wait for traffic before making her left turn into the lot, so she wasn't going very fast when she bunny hopped the obstruction. The only damage visible is a small 6' scuff on the rear of the drivers side front unibody rail. There a scuff & slight bend of the brace that crosses between the lady & right floor boards.
When I'm driving the car now, it pulls to the right even though the left front tire hit the curb obstruction. There's also a kind of grinding sound coming from the front area. The noise I can best compair to what it would sound like if Bell housing bolts were loose enough that the flywheel was rubbing on the bell housing. Or what disk brakes sound like when there is zero friction material left.
It does it going straight or left turns. It momentarily quits with a quick left turn or if I get on the throttle enough for the front end rises. It will make the noise sitting in neutral if I rev the engine. I put the car up on jack stands on All four corners. I find no evidence of breakage, bending or rubbing of any component anywhere bumper to bumper.
When I run the car in any gear (still up on jackstands) it doesn't make the grinding noise.
Note; the front tires don't rotate with the rear. AWD, to me, means that they should. I need clarification on that point please.
If anyone has an idea what's going on let me know please.
Another thing;. I've looked at local parts stores & on the interwebs, & I can't find a repair manual for AWD magnums.
If anyone knows where I could get one, please let me know. I don't want some download or utube media. I'm oldschool, nearly steam powered, I want a real made of paper repair manual for '06 5.7 AWD magnum R/T.
Thankyou.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would start with an alignment check. It may have hit on the left, but if it hit the front of the wheel, it may have knocked alignment to the right. I suspect the noise only occurs when the suspension is loaded with the weight on the wheels. I think I would also remove the front wheels and inspect the wheels suspension and brakes closely. If the noise disappears when you get on the throttle and the front end rises, it is obviously something that only rubs when the front wheels are loaded. I'm also wondering if part of the front suspension got bent. On rear wheel drive Magnums, I wold look for a bent front strut, but I don't know what sort of suspension is under the front of an awd Magnum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start with an alignment check. It may have hit on the left, but if it hit the front of the wheel, it may have knocked alignment to the right. I suspect the noise only occurs when the suspension is loaded with the weight on the wheels. I think I would also remove the front wheels and inspect the wheels suspension and brakes closely. If the noise disappears when you get on the throttle and the front end rises, it is obviously something that only rubs when the front wheels are loaded. I'm also wondering if part of the front suspension got bent. On rear wheel drive Magnums, I wold look for a bent front strut, but I don't know what sort of suspension is under the front of an awd Magnum.
Thanks for replying & your insight towards my issue. This is helpful to me. I'll do the checks that you advised & see what I can see. I still haven't been successful in locating any format of a shop manual that covers awd that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm going to research what other Mopar vehicles are using this awd system & purchase that manual, as well as the manual for rwd magnums. Thank you again, Russ.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have the MacPherson Strut front suspension like the rwd cars? Since the struts are so long, that the left one may have bent when it hit that curb. Also check closely to make sure that none of the steering components bent. I would not expect to see frame damage from hitting a curb. The other thing to check would be to see if the left wheel rim bent when it hit.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
21 Posts
If you need reference pics, let me know. I have a 06 AWD myself and rebuilt the entire front end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have the MacPherson Strut front suspension like the rwd cars? Since the struts are so long, that the left one may have bent when it hit that curb. Also check closely to make sure that none of the steering components bent. I would not expect to see frame damage from hitting a curb. The other thing to check would be to see if the left wheel rim bent when it hit.
Russ, thank you. Your info helped me track down what WASNT the problem.
I fixed our magnum. It wasn't a drivetrain problem! All the symptoms & sounds I described before led me to believe it was. This weekend I attended a memorial in Springfield Oregon, I'm from Salem. I took the magnum, because two friends there have a magnum & a charger & they're both car guys. I was hoping they could help me. Just as I was leaving Salem the evil sound it makes changed it's tone. I immediately knew it was from the drivetrain touching the under body. It sounds like it came from the right rear of the engine. WRONG.
Where the exhaust passes under the rear tranny mount, about 1/4 inch touched. Even though there's no visible marks on the exhaust. Even though the hit was on the left front, the right exhaust pipe was effected.
I took some wood wedges & jammed them where I could against the exhaust pipe to force it left. This gained me near an inch clearance. I let the car warm up real good, then shut it off & let it completely cool. I removed the wedges & have nearly 1/2 inch clearance. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
You may also get some "banging" in the future. The left engine mount tends to break after some miles. When it does the engine assembly will rock to the right either either on acceleration or deceleration, (I don't remember which) when it rocks like that things will hit the bottom of the car. When it happened, I knew what it was because I used to drive 3rd gen Camaro's & Firebirds, and they are know to have trans mounts break. Apparently the weakest mount or the one under the most load on the Magnums, Chargers, Challengers, and 3ooc's is the left engine mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts