Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Energy is lost through heat. A cooler running engine will lose less energy through heat and in theory, can make more power. There are many other factors at play here also though.

Honestly, a 180 oF thermostat by itself really won't make much difference. On a stock motor without tuning, you probably won't even notice a change.

When/if a lower temp thermostat is installed, a method to control the fan speeds is also needed.

A cooler thermostat needs to run in conjunction with adjusted fan speed settings in order to keep the engine temps from reaching the "heat soak" temps. (approx. 190 oF)
Once an engine reaches "heat soak", any benefit of running a cooler thermostat has been lost.

Without adjusted fan speeds, even a 180 oF thermostat will allow the engine temps to reach 200+ in traffic and hot weather.

A Diablosport Predator tuner or a fan speed mod such as "cool it" would work.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
A cooler engine = more power................. to a point.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
A cooler engine is also gentler of the rubber hoses......................

Like the heater hoses and radiator hoses.

Also makes for a cooler hood, if you should touch it.

Bob

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Jet 180....

I was wondering what is the benefit of havin the 180 degree thermostat for the magnums?
Any benefit for a stock magnum other than a CAI/
Thanks
Just as an fyi...I recently replaced my thermostat, hoses and coolant..I added Water Wetter and found Gates Blue Silicone Racing hoses on Ebay...all in all, I wanted to make sure it was ready for summer driving, but I have noticed a slight temp drop on regular fwy driving...hovers below 200 now..got my Jet180 through Jegs..

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
So if you DO go with the 180 thermostat, you have to change the fan settings? How do you go about doing that?
You need to do it with a tuner/programmer like Diablosports "Predator" or "Trinity"

·
Programming and wiring GURU
1,273 Posts
this is just one of those things that an engine will like more. if you follow all of the members instructions IE thermo and fan temps . PErsonally I have an srt motor and before the fan temp settings and thermo the fans would not come on until about 216 degrees which means the engine will definitely go higher then that in temp. which means the engine is at heat soak which decreases power. But after the fan settings and thermo My temp has not breached 185 even though its 105 out right now.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
To do the fan mod, you don't have to buy a tuner to adjust the fans. I bought a fan kit (relays and wiring) from a member here that makes them............ was it NO-ESP???

See photo, it is a curcuit board and relays with wiring changes, easy to install - works with a 180 thermostat.

Then Superchips came out with the update to allow changing the fan settings, so now I have 2 fans mods LOL.

Bob

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think what I've noticed w/ my 180* tstat is that in normal driving the coolant temps will be anywhere from 177* to 181* at any air temperature below 75* and/or while moving.

Once air temps start to get up over 80* the coolant temp will stay at 180*; AT=85*, CT=183*-185*; AT=90*, CT=188-192*. Then my fans kick on and try to cool it back down. Even on hot days the CT=185* while rolling too.

But you can certainly notice a power difference on a day where air temps are 70* or less as compared to a hot & humid day when temps are over 90*. Heat soak robs power.

Man I love those nice cool days when Canadian air comes sweeping through on a cold front! That's when you notice a difference on a natually aspirated engine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Change the fan settings?

So if you DO go with the 180 thermostat, you have to change the fan settings? How do you go about doing that?
You do not "have to" but to get the most potential gains from the change you need to do both.
Like adding a supercharger but not getting rid of stock exhaust back pressure or adding upgraded fuel rails.
Only certain instances like a thermostat can you go half way and still work it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts