Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could point me to an upgrade to the differential I have in my car. It has the 5.7 hemi and the diff keeps coming loose and where the mounting bolts are going through the holes have become oblong. Any help will be appreciated. I bought this car a couple of years ago and the guy I got it from only raced it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How much "meat" is there around the holes? Could you enlarge the bolt holes to make them round and then bush them? Is the differential housing steel or aluminum? If the diff is still good, it seems a shame to replace the entire assembly just because a previous owner didn't keep the bolts tight. If the housing is not cast iron, I think the holes could be welded up and redrilled to save the diff. Cast iron can be welded, but it is trickier since it needs to be heated with a torch before it can be welded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the housing is aluminum and may be able to be drilled I will look into that. Thank you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Aluminum is easily welded up and drilled by a good welding shop. A friend of mine used to drag race pro stock before they became "funny cars" with doors. He ran a 1969 Camaro with the aluminum 427. On one run the engine blew up breaking the crank and throwing a rod through the side of the block. He tore the engine down, and welded up the hole in the block and rebuilt it and had it on the track the next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It needs to be a certain temp. doesnt it? I have welded aluminum but only light stuff. I am a sheet metal worker by trade and have always had welding tickets but never got an aluminum ticket. I may just take it to a shop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The main thing that aluminum needs is to be clean. I think it also requires inert gas. The welder will probably want the diff out of the car and on the bench for welding, so you might want to take it to a mechanic if you don't want to remove the differential yourself. If you remove the diff. yourself, clean and degrease the area around the bolt holes as much as possible before you take it to the welder. I would use something like CRC electrical cleaner or electronic cleaner for degreasing the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts