Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read all and answer to numbered question 1., 2. etc. please and thanks.

1. Hello guys back again. I'm trying to get more power out of my magnum RT again I took the car to a 1/4 mile drag strip at Milan dragway over the summer 100% stock and ran a best of 14.6 @ 98mph. After adding a K&N Cold Air Intake, Diablosport 91 Octane tune w/+1 advance to all plugs/rpm range running 93 octane fuel all the time, 180 T-stat/fan mod to run cooler and getting some 20" SRT Chrome Wheels to replace the 18s I went back and ran a best of 14.4 @ 99mph after spending $600 on tuner/cai then the wheels "non performance related" I hear people running 14 flat stock how is this possible? Car has no extra weight in it I am not fat by any means lol. Just curious.

2. Anywho I'm looking to add JBA Headers, hi flow mid pipes, and exhaust full system for about $1,600 I was warned a while ago if doing this that I should use 6.1l bolts and oem gaskets? why is this? I can't remember where I seen this but I do remember being told this specifically maybe someone can confirm the reason to this? is JBA gaskets/bolts for headers cheap?

3.Rear end gear swap. I'm looking at richmond 3.55 gears to swap out the stock 2.82 tall gears. What would my new top speed be? how much would this swap help my 1/4 mile times? how high will my rpms be at freeway speeds? this is my daily driver.

4.I'm also looking into having a local shop do a air/fuel adjustment tune and dyno for $500 is this worth it at all for the simple bolt ons I have?
CAI, 180 T-stat mod w/fan mod runs cooler, JBA Full system headers-exhaust, diablosport 91 octane +1 spark tune running 93 octane fuel, 3.55 richmond rear gears.

With all the following above what would the estimated 1/4 mile times be at that point? just curious if the $3,000 or so will be worth it or not on those thanks for your time reading and answering all questions

-Sincerely
Alex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few dozen views no responses :/ I'm going to pm someone in regards to the questions who will know the answers to them but I'll check here to see if answered here first or not I'll update when or if I hear from this other guy or not thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
My thoughts:

1. Most cars run mid 14's at the track - never ran my RT at the track.

2. Headers and better mufflers are always a good thing to do.

3. A lower set of gears will help, like 3:42 or 3:55 - also include a higher speed torque converter.

4. A good dyno tune will always produce more HP.

5. What about a cam & heads ???

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts:

1. Most cars run mid 14's at the track - never ran my RT at the track.

2. Headers and better mufflers are always a good thing to do.

3. A lower set of gears will help, like 3:42 or 3:55 - also include a higher speed torque converter.

4. A good dyno tune will always produce more HP.

5. What about a cam & heads ???
1.Fair enough

2.True but what about the rumored issues with JBA gaskets and header bolts just a myth? I can't find any other complaints or issues on them researching it but someone told me to use "6.1l bolts, oem gaskets" for the JBA header/exhaust install so I guess I'll just do it.

3.Yeah like I said I was thinkin about maybe trying the richmond 3.55s? But is there a way to find out how much it'll help, what my rpms will be at 70mph on freeway, and how much i'll lose on top end / top speed or no?

4.Good deal I figured they could unlock more potential out of it then just the diablo tune.

5.I haven't though about cams/heads just yet due to being told I would need to upgrade oil pump, water pump, injectors, the whole 9 yards basically and just not ready to rip the motor apart yet lol. Maybe if I'm still not happy with how the car performs after the headers, exhaust, 3.55 gears and tune.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
As for gaskets, I would use factory gaskets, 6.1 gaskets if not keeping EGR - or 5.7 gaskets to keep EGR.

Use 6.1 header bolts as they come with Locktite applied to the threads.

Then again, just bolt on a Supercharger .............. LOL

I ran 3:73 gears (with higher stall converter) in my 96' Chevy Impala SS and mileage was good and still had plenty of top speed.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol right :D well that's good to know about the gears looks like I got my work cut out for me this spring. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
2.82 swap to 3.55 you can expect 500 RPM increase..give or take. You will have to flash the ECU for the gear change. As for top end, yeah your going to lose some MPH at a given RPM.
TREMEC has a gear ratio calculator on their pg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts