Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused3:Hello everyone. I am having a problem that many of you might have delt with on here. I have spent 3 days researching this topic via this site/bing/google with nothing really touching on my situation. The first time this(limp mode)happend was on a rainy day. heres what happend. was driving on a rainy day. Was at a light. I pulled away from the light with some minor wheel spin(very moderate throttle being a rwd). Nothing happend there and i parked about 2min later at my destination. the car sat for an hour. Once i left i was on the road for 3min merging on the highway on a sharp inclined jug-handled type turn accelarating moderately and once i straightened out and was on the highway doing about 40 i gave a little gas and the car down-shifted using the stick from D to 4th gear and the i got a thump. I looked at the cluster and it said 3rd gear was selected so i attempted to tap it to another gear and it did not respond. I pulled over turned the car off(but didnt remove key from ignition)and turned the car on. It was fine while manuvering through the gas station to leave. I pulled on the expressway(very moderate throttle since no traffic and 20 seconds down the road it went back to the same gear. I did not use the stick so it said D was selected and i could not use the stick. Please be advised that i never got a CEL/ABS/ESP on either occasion. I drove to the market and when i left the car was fine for the 5min trip home. I was paniced and didnt know what it was until i saw it was limp mode on this wonderful site. The next day I drove to work with no issue(of course i babied it and no stick). I drove all the way home the same way with no issues until i got on my block and it did it again. i had the fluid checked by dodge and they said it was fine. they were baffled that there were no check engine lights from that. They put my car up and saw that my trans TCM connector was leaking(though i never had a drop of anything when parked) They said to replace that which i did yesterday. They also topped off the trans fluid. I pulled out of the dealer lot to leave got down the road and limp mode again:censored: with no CEL/ABS/ESP lights. turned back and when i got there i put it in park but didnt turn it off. The service manager got in put it in drive and it drove perfectly:OMG-WTF-B. I looked like an idiot. He said there is no reason that limp mode should happen without a check engine light or something. He said without a CEL theres nothing they can do but tear the trans apart to look-$$$$$-. I drove the rest of the day with no issue(driving more normal) and even thought it was gone then this morning using the manual mode while crusing it happened again no CEL/ABS/ESP lights.....sorry for the long thread but this is BAFFLING everyone.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
If the transmission went into limp mode, there should be a code(s) stored. Not all problems are indicated by a CEL. Reading these codes requires a Starscan or Witech. The dealer service should know this. You may have a bad TCM.

I would request that they PROPERLY scan the car to search for stored transmission codes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
limp mode

:cool30:Thanks for the fast response response. I will call them and have them scan for stored codes. You guys are great:You_Rock_Emoticon: on here. I have heard soo many things to check reguarding the trans(check if the dip-stick tube is allowing water into the trans//check speed sensors on the rear axles and inside the trans//the dredded trans connector leak//clogged trans filter//sensitive to fluid levels/condition//valve body//plate)and so on. Anyone :confused3:else ever had this limp mode with no CEL/ESP/ABS lights and if so what did it turn out to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also read that the TCM wires can be frayed or damaged by the e-brake. my car has 125,600mi and im sure that the idiot before me that had this car didnt treat it as well as me(he even rubbed out the plastic wheel well due to big rims) I used the 18inch factory wheels. I will check if the wires are being compromised by the e-brake

·
Registered
365 Posts
my buddy is having the same problem in his 08 charger... have u found anything out i have looked at every conector n all are fine.. im stomped

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had something very similar happen to me and ran a scan and p0730 popped up. Cleared the cel and never happened again. Knock on wood. Check this out
Charger P 0730 CEL Code Wa580

·
LX Jetski tower
207 Posts
Had the same problem with my '05 Magnum RT. Turned out to be the wiring harness shorting out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hope u got ur problem fixed..i know im respondin late but i have that problem now..found out my speed sensors inside the transmission has oil and sum gunk on it...have to replace sensors and gasket ..did u solve ur problem?

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
I just experienced something similar last weekend. It happened to me twice within a 20 minute period.
It hasn't happened since and so far all has been normal. I still haven't checked for the codes yet.

Not all problems are indicated by a CEL. Reading these codes requires a Starscan or Witech.
Hey Bill. Will a generic code reader work or do I have to have the dealership charge me for an hour of labor just to read them with the Starscan tool.
If that's the case then I guess they won't get read! Haha!

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
You can buy code readers for $50 or more depending on the features. I'm just not sure if they have the capability to read stored TCM codes.

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
You can buy code readers for $50 or more depending on the features. I'm just not sure if they have the capability to read stored TCM codes.
My dad has one is why I ask. Thanks Bill.
And my apologies for the thread jacking. =)

·
Registered
1 Posts
limp mode. Last note I went up a steep incline downshifted into 3rd drove up the hill shifted into 4th at the top of the hill. Wouldn't shift out of 4th gear drove 35 mph at 3000 rpm for 2 miles‚ pulled over turned off the car pulled the keys for 5 min. Started it up and the car drove normally. Wtf? No codes, today drove great 20 miles no problems. 05 Magnum RT AWD

:cool30:Thanks for the fast response response. I will call them and have them scan for stored codes. You guys are great:You_Rock_Emoticon: on here. I have heard soo many things to check reguarding the trans(check if the dip-stick tube is allowing water into the trans//check speed sensors on the rear axles and inside the trans//the dredded trans connector leak//clogged trans filter//sensitive to fluid levels/condition//valve body//plate)and so on. Anyone :confused3:else ever had this limp mode with no CEL/ESP/ABS lights and if so what did it turn out to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts