Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup everyone!!! So I have been wanting to trade in my mag for one that has a HEMI and its a little harder than I thought because I want an identical one to mine (2006 Inferno Red, hard to come by). Me and my dad began talking and my car is about 1.5-2 years away from being paid for and we would just do a motor swap. I heard from a friend that it would cost me 10G's for everything I needed. Is this true? For that much I can just find one with a HEMI. Would appreciate any info anyone can give me on this.

Thanks!
--Chris

·
!!!GOBEARSGO!!!
3,874 Posts
other than what you would spend on the 5.7L,I don't see this costing 10k.Heck there is a 6.1L w/Nag1 trans on LXForums going for $4,000.Add maybe $1-$2k install plus tuning.Still under 10k

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
NYINSTALLER on here has a post about how to do it, what's needed, etc. as he's done it. At the end of the day, the trick is which transmission you have. If you have the 5 speed (i.e. 4 + Drive) you're good.

That said, a rebuilt (OEM spec) 5.7L Hemi is $3,500-ish shipped. You can find them in salvage hards for less than $3k all day. Keep in mind that 5.7's for the trucks are different than those for LX's. After the engine it's less than $500-600 in parts/programming and you're done in a weekend.

Rich

·
Programming and wiring GURU
1,273 Posts
CHIME::::

10 k for that price you can almost include a s/c

NOw its not that hard it requires tools and some one like me to come and program it and get everything working.

search my posts. you will fine two different motor swops listed.

Again like above user has said the bigger issue is in the trans not the motor.

I can put a 6.1 motor in a 2.7 chassis but the transmission is what takes a little longer.

However if you have a 5 speed transmission ( on the dash it will say PRND and you will have the +/- next to the shifter then your good to go. You can either use your current tranny or get a motor and trans already mated. which would be easier. and the price difference will be about the same.

You dont need that many parts either it is more or less basic stuff. drive shaft trans mount ecm for 5.7 motor. and if you have the 4 speed trans currently then a few more things.

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NYINSTALLER on here has a post about how to do it, what's needed, etc. as he's done it. At the end of the day, the trick is which transmission you have. If you have the 5 speed (i.e. 4 + Drive) you're good.

That said, a rebuilt (OEM spec) 5.7L Hemi is $3,500-ish shipped. You can find them in salvage hards for less than $3k all day. Keep in mind that 5.7's for the trucks are different than those for LX's. After the engine it's less than $500-600 in parts/programming and you're done in a weekend.

Rich
Yeah I have always seen the motors for the price you said and my mom works at a dealership so I can get the motor for a heck of a price cause of her employee discount. As far as install I will do that myself so no cost there.

CHIME::::

10 k for that price you can almost include a s/c

NOw its not that hard it requires tools and some one like me to come and program it and get everything working.

search my posts. you will fine two different motor swops listed.

Again like above user has said the bigger issue is in the trans not the motor.

I can put a 6.1 motor in a 2.7 chassis but the transmission is what takes a little longer.

However if you have a 5 speed transmission ( on the dash it will say PRND and you will have the +/- next to the shifter then your good to go. You can either use your current tranny or get a motor and trans already mated. which would be easier. and the price difference will be about the same.

You dont need that many parts either it is more or less basic stuff. drive shaft trans mount ecm for 5.7 motor. and if you have the 4 speed trans currently then a few more things.
Yeah I have seen your thread on your 6.1 swap so thats why I posted. Great info! I have the 5 speed tranny, so you are saying I can bolt up a 5.7 straight to that and no problems? That is my biggest question. Im not looking for a race car, I just want a HEMI with predator, CAI, and the other small mods that will increase the horsepower. No major stuff like S/C or stroker or anything like that. Just want a powerful everyday driver. I love my 3.5 but I believe its time to upgrade. Plus I always wanted a HEMI!!!

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey nyinstaller would I need to do anything to my rear end? Such as swap the gears or just swap the whole thing all together??

I really appreciate everyone's info, I know I can always count on you all!!!!

·
Programming and wiring GURU
1,273 Posts
the gear ratio from the 3.5 to rt is similar. may not be the same but its close. and the 5.7 drive shaft you will have to buy will bolt directly to the rear as is.

You will be able to bolt the trans to the motor. plug it in and it will be set.

as for as the engine goes you will have to add about 10 wires to your ecm or the ecm for the 5.7 the 5.7 has mds and stuff so it needs to see those signals.

so the wires are and not limited to

injector 7,8
coil 7,8
oil pressure
mds.

after that since your mom works at a dealer you can get them to reprogram your 5.7 ecm with your vin number and skim code and your good to go at that point. now With increased motor power your gunna wanna try and upgrade the brakes. at first you can add steel braden lines and slotted rotors to your current setup cheap mods that will give you better braking. other than that you should swop to atleast an rt setup. however the 3.5 with above items should bring you to the close specs of the rts minus the 1 inch extra on the rts rotors. and the 2 piston calipers in the front apose to your single piston. the rt brake setup should not be that hard to come by as the rt is one of the most sold versions and there for one of the most in junk yards due to accidents etc. Id say if anything you need the front section the most.

steel braden lines and rotors are probably about 3-5 hundred on ebay etc but you can probably find the brake setup for an rt for about the same so thats your call.

You can also find on here the postings of the wire schems however if you dont understand i can help you with that as well.

also In my opinion buying the motor from the dealer even tho you have the discount may be expensive. I dont know so i guess you will have to find out and let us know.

ALso keep us posted with pics. etc.

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the gear ratio from the 3.5 to rt is similar. may not be the same but its close. and the 5.7 drive shaft you will have to buy will bolt directly to the rear as is.

You will be able to bolt the trans to the motor. plug it in and it will be set.

as for as the engine goes you will have to add about 10 wires to your ecm or the ecm for the 5.7 the 5.7 has mds and stuff so it needs to see those signals.

so the wires are and not limited to

injector 7,8
coil 7,8
oil pressure
mds.

after that since your mom works at a dealer you can get them to reprogram your 5.7 ecm with your vin number and skim code and your good to go at that point. now With increased motor power your gunna wanna try and upgrade the brakes. at first you can add steel braden lines and slotted rotors to your current setup cheap mods that will give you better braking. other than that you should swop to atleast an rt setup. however the 3.5 with above items should bring you to the close specs of the rts minus the 1 inch extra on the rts rotors. and the 2 piston calipers in the front apose to your single piston. the rt brake setup should not be that hard to come by as the rt is one of the most sold versions and there for one of the most in junk yards due to accidents etc. Id say if anything you need the front section the most.

steel braden lines and rotors are probably about 3-5 hundred on ebay etc but you can probably find the brake setup for an rt for about the same so thats your call.

You can also find on here the postings of the wire schems however if you dont understand i can help you with that as well.

also In my opinion buying the motor from the dealer even tho you have the discount may be expensive. I dont know so i guess you will have to find out and let us know.

ALso keep us posted with pics. etc.
Thanks for all the help!!! It will be a while before I can afford the motor but I want to start on everything else. With doing this swap I want to do a Daytona Magnum. OEM Daytona Decals and all that good stuff. Do you have a thread with a parts list for the 3.5 to 5.7 swap? If so that would be great! In the mean time I am gonna try to get the Mopar Stage2 Coilover kit, Mopar performance sways, and work on getting an R/T brake package.

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh also would it be better to do aftermarket brakes or an R/T setup?

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Brakes for a R/T or brakes for an SXT are a lot more similar than you think. Look at this way. You will have enough brake pressure in the stock SXT brakes to put some woah on that go.

However, when it comes time for new rotors, just swap the whole shebam (technical term) to a R/T brake system. No point in spending money now if you don't have to.

Or....given the lack of dollars to get the engine now, in the meantime upgrade your SXT to an R/T brake setup (obviously if it will fit your current wheels = not stock 17's on a SXT).

Rich

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brakes for a R/T or brakes for an SXT are a lot more similar than you think. Look at this way. You will have enough brake pressure in the stock SXT brakes to put some woah on that go.

However, when it comes time for new rotors, just swap the whole shebam (technical term) to a R/T brake system. No point in spending money now if you don't have to.

Or....given the lack of dollars to get the engine now, in the meantime upgrade your SXT to an R/T brake setup (obviously if it will fit your current wheels = not stock 17's on a SXT).

Rich
Yeah I got ya, my Dad is my partner on this motor swap and he told me to start cheap and work my way up to the motor (seeing I have to buy everything myself) so Im gonna start changing out the brakes first. Then from there Im doing the suspension Ive been wanting and who knows what else from there. I need the bigger brakes anyway since I will be running 22's with or with the HEMI. I know from experience that it takes a lot to stop those beasts LOL

Thanks for the advice! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
You got it!

Check your local Craigslist and salvage yards. I find a lot of parts there and will be doing the following soon:

- R/T brake swap
- Factory navigation install
- Upgrade to R/T or SRT seats

All of which I found locally and let me tell you....I didn't spend a lot of money.

Rich

·
Blood Runs Orange!
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You got it!

Check your local Craigslist and salvage yards. I find a lot of parts there and will be doing the following soon:

- R/T brake swap
- Factory navigation install
- Upgrade to R/T or SRT seats

All of which I found locally and let me tell you....I didn't spend a lot of money.

Rich
AWESOME!!! I will give that a try I would really like to find some daytona or srt seats that are leather and suede to put in mine. Good luck on your following mods and again thanks for the help!!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know your post are year old, but I also have a 2007 3.5 Dodge Magnum and want to convert it over. 5.7 , but I would really like a 6.1, now I don’t know anything towards the specs so I’m in desperate need of some good knowledge and direction. And for me it’s paid for and really want the power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts