Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339576637.665612.jpg

Well not really. My question is when I put it in "3". What I really going on in my tranny?. I feel as if I'm goin faster. Better mpg????

My favorite animal is a Ribeye -Fran Lebowitz

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts
i keep mines in 3rd, and only put it in drive once im up to 55mph as if it was overdrive...there was a thread about it years ago..it being in 3rd holds each gear a lil longer, is better on gas, the tranny in the 4 speed shifts to often and too early, so when u give it gas it constantly has to down shift, the tranny is over working itself doing so, having to constantly downshift with minimal gas pedal pressure, because its shifting to early into a higher gear to begin with...

ive had my mag since 06 and been using 3rd for the past 4 years...its a lot more drivable, is a lil better on gas, and i like the fact that at i dont need drive untill im at highway speeds, and even then at 60 mph the rpm is still just under 3000..

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
The gear ratios on the 42RLE are as follows - 1st 2.84, 2nd - 1.57; 3rd - 1.00; 4th - 0.69

You feel like you're going faster because 3rd gear is a lower ratio....... Engine rpms will be higher. 4th gear is an overdrive gear.

The lower the gear ratio, the faster the engine rpms. The faster the engine rpms, the worse the gas mileage.

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts
maybe with a lighter car Bill, but with the mag in drive and it going into overdrive at 35 mph, and having to shift itself constantly to a lower gear with just the slightest pedal pressure, all the up and down shifting it does, waste more gas to go nowhere...even cruising at 35-40, it goes into overdrive and and u can feel the car kinda chugga chugging along, in 3rd its less the transmission has to shift, and drivabilty is way better..

unless im not understanding u correctly for whatever reason...imo with the 2.7 and the 4 speed the 2 dont belong in the same heavy boat..

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
according to the manual third gear is sport mode. like he says, it holds each gear a little longer because the tranny does shift to early. ive noticed if i shift into d after 45 everything is good and it definetly has helped me on gas.

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts
ahhh thats one thing i must have missed in the manual, that 3 is actually sport mode...ive read that book cover to cover when i got the car, lol..lots of good info in it too..

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
42RLE 4 speed automatic

D (Overdrive)
This range should be used for most city and highway
driving. It provides smoothest up shifts and down
shifts and best fuel economy. Select the “3” range
when frequent transmission shifting occurs when us-
ing the Overdrive range, such as when operating the
vehicle under heavy loading conditions (in hilly ter-
rain, traveling into strong head winds, or while tow-
ing heavy trailers.

3 (Third)
This range eliminates shifts into Overdrive. The trans-
mission will operate normally in First, Second and
Third while in this range. The “3” position should also
be used when descending steep grades to prevent
brake system distress.
NOTE: Using the “3” range while operating the vehicle
under heavy operating conditions will improve perfor-
mance and extend transmission life by reducing exces-
sive shifting and heat build up.

L (Low)
This range should be used for engine braking when
descending very steep grades. In this range, upshifts
will occur only to prevent engine overspeed while
downshifts occur earlier than other gear range selec-
tions.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,568 Posts
Hmmmm, interesting! We only have this trans in Tee's DEMON car with the 3.5L V6 and I don't really notice the up and down shifting you mention while in D. Different engine, I suppose. The last time I drove Tee's DEMON I was shocked that at WOT it shifted at 6200 RPMs and that car really does run STRONG!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
i would so rather have a 5 speed nag1 though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts