Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometime about 6 months ago I started chasing a ghost of a problem with my car. At this time I had been going through a lot of changes with the tune trying to resolve some issues and thats when the problem started popping up. Oddly enough my friend Nate (BritishNate) was in almost the identical circumstances - similar mods, similar tune, same time frame, same symptoms. This ended up being a complete coincidence as far as I can tell at this point.

The Symptom:
At random speeds when the car would downshift it was like the transmission wouldnt engage - almost like pushing the clutch in on a manual transmission. It would happen at completely random times and at different speeds and in different gears. This would occur maybe once every other week or so. Sometimes it seemed to do it more if the car was under more load when I had more people in the car or stuff in the back.

Because of lack of funds I just dealt with it for several months not wanting to just blindly throw parts at it without a sure solution. Well, I came into a turn pretty hot the other day expecting to drift/power through it and the car dropped into the lower gear like it was suppose to, was in power and car was sideways and boom it does its shift thingy and all of a sudden no power to carry through the turn. Luckily nothing bad came of it but enough to make me take action to fix it - lol.

The Solution:
My first guess was fluid level and or the correlation with temperature changes - no dice. I spent quite sometime searching for threads on here and other forums and finally Nate found a hint in a old thread on here that pointed to the speed sensor. So I bought some from Ted and Jeff at AllUSA and swapped them out on saturday. There are two speed sensors - an "upper" and a "lower". Not knowing which was bad and not having a starscan to do the tests to find out I bought both.

These are the part numbers and prices:
4799061AB Speed Sensor $30.23
52854001AA Speed Sensor $25.71

The speed sensors look like little plastic cylinder with rubber o-rings on them to seal into the trans and they have a flange around the outside with a hole where it bolts to the side of the trans. Its took me maybe 10min to change both sensors. Only tool needed is an 8mm wrench - ratcheting wrench preferred. The back sensor has a small magnetic nose on the tip of it - mine had quite a bit of metal shavings.

So far the results have been far better than expected. Besides the fact that it hasnt done its weird disengage thing, the shifts seem to be more predictable and more accurate. It seems to have taken care of a couple other symptoms that I just wrote off. The car used to sporatically bog off the line, pretty much at least once every trip. So when I would go WOT on launch it would sit there and bog and when it got into the middle RPM range the power would come on like a light switch... almost like i was launching from 2nd gear. Hasnt done this once since I swapped the sensors. Overall the car is just more driveable. I really have no idea how much these speed sensors affect the actual TCM or whatever adaptives or anything else it may do with the inputs but its seems to have fixed it.

·
120+ on the 14 FRWY!!!!!!
1,238 Posts
Wow thats exactly what my wife has been going through with her 3.5L V-6 Mag. I think i will order those parts and see if it works for her Mag. Thanks for the info and parts numbers!

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thats exactly what my wife has been going through with her 3.5L V-6 Mag. I think i will order those parts and see if it works for her Mag. Thanks for the info and parts numbers!
Cool, I'm glad the info helped. Post up after you change the parts - let us know if it cured it too.

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year and how many miles are your mag?
2005, 60000 miles. The problem started around 50k... Its done it once since I put the new sensors in but so far its got 600 miles problem free.

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
Those sensors are pretty magical!! I "paid" the dealer to replace mine at a tune of 500 on my caravan, THEN found them under the air box and at a cost of 20 bucks each!!!! 460 bucks!!!!!!! too screw them in....can you say RIP OFF!! Glad you were able to find yours!

·
Registered
799 Posts
my brother has the same prob on his 05 chevy equinox
great info man
thx
and glad your problem got fixed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts